Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

All good Craig, thanks for the detailed reply. I'll check out that Shark Hide too, cheers.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Craig have you thought about making the jump from ICV to low volume compliance, aka are you going to crash test it?
Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
Craig have you thought about making the jump from ICV to low volume compliance, aka are you going to crash test it?
Phew, haven't I got enough on my plate.

Well yes, I have researched the reqirements for low volume in detail. Distructive crash testing is not required as you can use other means, some of which we have already employed in the development of the PACE 427.

It is much easier to meet the Low Volume regs, than build a ICV kit to meet the requirements Australia wide. Ironic isn't it.

I have my own ideas of what would make a viable Low Volume product and how it would need to be approached. I don't believe the PACE 427 is quite the right platform and I don't believe now is the right economic time to do it, but I certainly wouldn't rule out anything in that area from us in the future.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Just found this pic on Flickr. This suspension design looked right at home in the pits at Lakeside Raceway!

Mando and d488y2 like this.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Click the following links to open the Packing List PDFs:

PACE 427 Base Kit Packing List

PACE 427 Comprehensive Kit Packing List

Packing lists don't include the special offer components being offered at the moment.

I've also uploaded an updated Brochure:

PACE 427 Brochure
Tonus72 and d488y2 like this.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Craig

Your comprehensive kit really is just that!! I can just imagine the delivery - open the box and all the parts are there. Just like a KIT.

With the 20% discout for purchasing up front, this is quite a reasonably priced option. Especially given the Al chassis and bodywork. Just add engine, gearbox, tyres, wiring and presto - new Cobra! Paint as required.

I look forward to seeing a few on the road as I am sure you do.

Geof
Old 05-23-2013, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07cob View Post
With the 20% discout for purchasing up front, this is quite a reasonably priced option.
Geof, cheers.

Interesting enough all those parts in Comprehensive Kit are actually provided at our cost(parts cost plus labour to pack and supply), they are all very high quality parts and that is as cheap as we can source or manufacture them.

By supplying all the parts upfront, it takes us a lot less manpower in handling and packing of the parts, so that is why we can offer that 20% discounted total price.

We just use the Comprehensive Kits as leverage to help sell more body/chassis units. The pricing is as aggressive as we can be.

For quite a few builders out there, the Comprehensive Kit should reduce the total build cost.

We also believe we are the cheapest supplier in Aus when it comes to the Comprehensive Kit.

Also note the Comprehensive Kit (and Base Kit) can be customised.

Plus there are other savings, our bodies will require significantly less time and money to paint, which these days equates to a $3000-$4000 saving in total paint cost. And for a quite a few customers they are not painting them or painting them down the track.

Geof, did you notice the driver & passenger fresh air vents. Also functional front brake ducts included as well.
d488y2 likes this.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet but definitely working on it!!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT View Post
Sambo, the wheels are Vintage brand, just BRM(GT40) style instead of Halibrand. We have a few Cobra guys going with that style due to the timeless appeal of spoked centre design it features.

With the alloy material, total different grade of alloy than what your tank is made of and features superior corrosion resistance etc. But in saying that, for the show type of guys, we have great success with the cleaning and protective wipe on finishes like Shark Hide etc. They just leave a very clean bright aluminium look that is protected from stains and you can't tell the treatment is on there. Easily re-applied if required.

We have analysed the stress areas of the chassis using FEA and measured the stress using Safety Factor of the material and welds, Von Mises etc. Basically we have tortured this chassis design using simulations on the computer over and over with different scenarios. Same with intrusion bars, mount points, suspension pieces, brackets, you name it. We know the simulations are accurate as we can predict the outcome of a physical street registration chasis torsional test for example within a few percent. All stress areas have stronger design incorporated i.e. gusseted and/or heavier material used. This is obvious when you see the chassis in the flesh.

Weld quality is a critical element and we utilise a top of the range Miller Dynasty 350 Watercooled Pulse TIG machine with all the extras(fingertip control etc), correct filler rod and an expert welder etc.

We also have a much stiffer chassis construction and I would say a much more consistant twist and flexure compared to other chassis designs out there. A lot of hours, expertise and expert tools have been used to design an efficient and reliable chassis structure. Of all the chassis I have seen tested, our PACE 427 design has much, much better consistancy. The numbers are publicly available for comparison.

We have also needed to get our own custom extrusions manufactued as there was not extrusions available in the grades of alloy we were looking for.

Won't even comment on the quality of the original Cobra bodies, give me a Kirkham body any day. Same approach, you won't see any issues with Kirkham bodies, quality approach to materials and construction used. We are not supplying 60's quality products.

And the great thing about an aluminium semi-monocoque chassis is that it makes it very easy, clean and efficient to construct into a vehicle as the heavy wall aluminium is a breeze to drill and tap and it is everywhere, even the panels can be drilled and tapped.

I am happy for any scrutiny. I can't stress enough that we have left no stone unturned.

We are still waiting for some of our production parts to arrive for the first batch of 10+ kits, so some aspects will look and work different once the final production parts are available.

Hope that has answered the questions. Did I miss anything?
Hi Craig,

Firstly I must say that you've turned engineering into an art form with your Pace 427 Chassis and I'm extremely impressed!! I have been a little shy of the thought of aluminium construction chassis due to the material's nature of (work hardening) fatigue and cracking from stresses but by the sounds of it you've put a hell of a lot of thought and engineering into the design and manufacturing to counteract this from happening!

Please forgive me for my ignorance as I'm not really familiar with the Push-Rod Suspension set-up; would a sway (or anti-roll) bar enhance the handling of this type of setup or would the addition of one be considered as of no real significance?

Hopefully in a year's time I'll be ready to place an order for a Comprehensive Kit as I'm blown away with the quality and quantity of the parts supplied in this kit!!!

Congrats on what looks like one hell of a Cobra Kit!!!

Cheers,

Daz
Old 05-24-2013, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Daz, no issues at all with reliability with our chassis. High quality product from design, material types, weld quality etc.

Still use Sway bars for the track orientated cars. Cool thing by utilising pushrod suspension is that the sway bar links just need to connect to the inside of the bellcranks. So a very short, simple and lighter weight sway bar setup needed.

We also have the ability to adjust the push rod suspension design to operate as a rising compression rate. It would just be a bolt on change.

Thee whole suspension design is based on the fundamental principal of bolt on changes, you can change virtually any aspect of the suspension geometry, ride height, anti-drive, anti-squat etc. with just different mounting brackets.
Dazza70 likes this.

Last edited by 400TT; 05-24-2013 at 01:19 AM..
Old 05-24-2013, 02:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

Congrats Craig on revolutionising the standard of kits available here in Oz if not worldwide by the looks. Mate it is a credit to you and the team at Pace. Hope all goes well.
Cheers
Brett
Old 05-24-2013, 04:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Brilliant Craig. I am pretty sure I sold my Harrison at the right time. The market will be glutted soon I suspect. I will come down to have a chat in a few months ...

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Wow...very impressive and the GT40 kit is bloody good value as well.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I will come down to have a chat in a few months ...
now what are you up to Merv.....
Old 05-25-2013, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.

Thought some here would like to see a Ford Coyote engine fitment as it is relatively new to Cobra world. The fitment in the photos is just a normally aspirated engine. Ironically we have had more orders from customers using Supercharged Coyote.

We have tuned the fitment as low and as far back as practical as the Supercharged Coyotes are proving popular with customers looking to do a bit of track work. And obviously the Supercharged Coyote is a little taller.

Bottom of the sump just sits above the bottom of the chassis. Assuming the use of a performance sump.

Have also test fitted GM V8. Same idea, fitment has been tuned low and far back for maximum performance and to fit in the Supercharged versions. Also assume the use of the performance sumps, including GM Performance units to get the sump above the bottom of the chassis.

And Ford Windsor. Same idea, low and far back to fit in the height of those stock EFI intakes. In particular the stock EFI intake for the 351w.

Out of all the engines the Coyote is the tightest fit both in width and rear wall clearance due to it's larger physical size. But it all works well as we spent the time and effort needed to fully optimise the chassis design for the most popular engines.

Enjoy.
d488y2 and Dazza70 like this.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

Hey Craig

Nice engine and all, but who are the two people on the beach in your photo album??

Tony
Old 05-25-2013, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus72 View Post
Hey Craig

Nice engine and all, but who are the two people on the beach in your photo album??

Tony
Not my Album photos, those photos at the top are from different albums. If you click my album(camera) icon under my ID, then you will get just my photos. Cheers.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tip Craig! I was trying to show someone at work through your rolling chassis pics the other day and was having trouble.

I though the pic of the guy with a 'coconut cup' on might have been you!

Sorry to distract you from the great work you guys are doing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT View Post
Not my Album photos, those photos at the top are from different albums. If you click my album(camera) icon under my ID, then you will get just my photos. Cheers.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus72 View Post
I though the pic of the guy with a 'coconut cup' on might have been you!
Just be careful of what you ask for...

From Left to Right - Craig Whiite(myself), Tony Martin(owner Backdraft), Hershal Byrd(the main man), John White & Kate White. This was taken in St Louis in 2008.

I warned you to be careful...
Old 06-04-2013, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: PACE427 under construction
Not Ranked     

Craig,

Was this a Wiggles convention?

Dave.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave, you can tell we are not fashion designers!!!