Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1994 drb sbf c4 9inch
Not Ranked     

Nissan 4 spots tutorial to LH. - Brakes, Wheels and Tyres - GMH-Torana
if you want to try something differant try nissan callipers ,hopefully this link works...doc
Old 01-08-2014, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, 302 EFI 5 speed 9"
Not Ranked     

Darkside, that looks like a HX calliper. we threw them away as the slides are crap and they can stick on, thats why I went to the HQ
Old 01-09-2014, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

found some interesting stuff on that torana forum ,theres a bit on just using hq complete stubs and brakes,they argue amongst themselves about bumpsteer and what have you but it appears to fit up looking at pics ,i have a complete assembly here so might give it a go see what doesnt work with a drb chassis

...doc
Old 01-09-2014, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

and this is using harrop steering arms u can see they drop abit lower than uc ones

...doc
Old 01-09-2014, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossba View Post
Darkside, that looks like a HX calliper. we threw them away as the slides are crap and they can stick on, thats why I went to the HQ
and yer yur correct we were reckomended to try these but just look like half a plan to me ...doc
Old 01-09-2014, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The HQ with kingswood rotors on the torana spindles worked well on the road,depending on what you want out of brakes?
I plan to do some track days and had the BA brakes so I used them.
Just food for thought if you don't want to spend to much on big brakes
Old 01-09-2014, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

when u say torana spindles ,are they from the drum brakes?i spoke to another mod plater and he wasn't fussed on the ba brake set up ,yet liked the hz style,made no sense to me after most gm blokes say to avoid them like the plague with sticking probs etc,will be interesting to see how they perform once yur up and about...doc
Old 01-10-2014, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

pretty sure my cobra has HZ calipers, i have not had any issues, but i do remeber with an hz wagon i had uneven pad wear, inside pad always wore out first, pretty common with single pot basic brakes.
But they seem to pull my cobra up pretty well, i have no brake booster either!
just to add, not for track use thats for sure!

Last edited by dhs.buckley; 01-10-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Old 01-10-2014, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yep a mate has had hz on his cobra 20 yrs no probs,i guess its luck of the draw,he runs a roush stroked set up donk with plenty of poke and reckons the hz callipers pulls him up just fine,i just want to know that the bloody cobra stops ...doc
Old 01-11-2014, 01:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhs.buckley View Post
pretty sure my cobra has HZ calipers, i have not had any issues, but i do remeber with an hz wagon i had uneven pad wear, inside pad always wore out first, pretty common with single pot basic brakes.
But they seem to pull my cobra up pretty well, i have no brake booster either!
just to add, not for track use thats for sure!

Being a Python you would have a Jag front end but George has many different brakes kits he fits at the customers requests.
George might have all the specs on your chassis if you need to know.
They look like the HQ ones that I have from that photo but would need a look at the slides or back of the calliper. The HZ ones I had looked different from yours, but there is a chance that they might not have been what I thought they were.
I spoke to Howard at Race Brakes Melbourne and showed him what I had and he told me that they can stick and they do wear one pad more than the other as you say.
I run the HQ calliper on the front with the standard rotor on my XY and they worked fine on track for that chassis, (standard road car)

I am glad you have not had any issues with yours and are happy with them.
At the end of the day thats al that counts.

I only went with these as I stated before because I had them.
There is defiantly a improvement with the bigger brakes now and the more I drive it now the more awesome I think they are.
Its a little hard to test them out on the road properly with out drawing attention from the cops or have some one run over me.

Cheers

Ross
Old 01-11-2014, 01:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
when u say torana spindles ,are they from the drum brakes?i spoke to another mod plater and he wasn't fussed on the ba brake set up ,yet liked the hz style,made no sense to me after most gm blokes say to avoid them like the plague with sticking probs etc,will be interesting to see how they perform once yur up and about...doc
I believe they are disc brake spindles as the standard solid rotors were amongst the parts that came with the car.

I dont know why the HX style would be better as you are restricted with the diameter of the rotor. You would be losing out on the mechanical advantage of the bigger rotor.

As per previous post I spoke to Howard at race brakes and went on his advise and experience also. Very knowledgeable man with brakes.

Ross
Old 01-11-2014, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossba View Post
Being a Python you would have a Jag front end but George has many different brakes kits he fits at the customers requests.
George might have all the specs on your chassis if you need to know.
They look like the HQ ones that I have from that photo but would need a look at the slides or back of the calliper. The HZ ones I had looked different from yours, but there is a chance that they might not have been what I thought they were.
I spoke to Howard at Race Brakes Melbourne and showed him what I had and he told me that they can stick and they do wear one pad more than the other as you say.
I run the HQ calliper on the front with the standard rotor on my XY and they worked fine on track for that chassis, (standard road car)

I am glad you have not had any issues with yours and are happy with them.
At the end of the day thats al that counts.

I only went with these as I stated before because I had them.
There is defiantly a improvement with the bigger brakes now and the more I drive it now the more awesome I think they are.
Its a little hard to test them out on the road properly with out drawing attention from the cops or have some one run over me.

Cheers

Ross
Hi Ross, the photo is the actual front end when it was built, it says chassis no.1, so first of the round tubes with a full custom front end set up.
No jag in that front end, from what i can gather, its a commy vk rack, possibly a HZ spindle, VK disc and full custom wishbones with aladin shocks
and what i thought was a HZ caliper, the HZ came out with 2 different calipers, a pbr one and the Girlock.
but they could be HQ.
The calipers are polished, so hard to see any part no.s on them.
But i think they are the girlocks

Last edited by dhs.buckley; 01-11-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Old 01-11-2014, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They look like PBR to me.
My XY came with Kelsey Hayes callipers but XY's also could come with PBR.
The Ford PBR and the HQ PBR calliper are the same but the HQ having a bigger piston than the Ford.
Howard at Race brakes recommended me to change mine in the XY to the PBR using the HQ calliper fitted in the Ford bracket as he makes a larger range of race pads for me to choose from. Because of HQ racing.

If yours are polished alloy then I would doubt they are HQ as I believe they were cast iron. You could be correct saying they are HZ, they could be the same caliper just updated to alloy in HZ.

Either way you have a calliper with the better slides and George builds a good car and you seem to know what you have so you are on a winner and enjoy your Cobra.

Ross
Old 01-11-2014, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python
Not Ranked     

Hey Fellas;
Whilst on the Python thing as my build came after Davids I can confirm mine came with the Girlock front calipers. However George's original spec brakes are long gone after a kit from Hoppers Stoppers which were fine. They also went after a while and I grabbed a set of Calipers (Wilwood 6 piston fronts) from Craig at AP and set about matching them up to a 330mm/32 ,hat set up for the front. Still use the original spindles that came with the car as I still have the Hoppers adapters over them to make it all work. That combined with the 4 pot Wilwoods on the back(Jag rear with outboard brake mounts) with a 315mm/32 rotor, I believe the brakes are the strongest part of my car and I'm extremely happy with the way they work. Mind you, it took me 3 goes to get it right !!
I flogged them at Shelbyfest last year and they were fantastic, consistent from start to finish and excellent feel, they didn't flinch............unlike the driver on a few occasions.
But as you guys know, its how you want to use your car, I always wanted something to do track days and fiddled around until I got it.

I must also mention Riverside Racing in Werribee. If you want some rotors and hats, go and see Gary there. He has a heap of stuff(new & second hand), his knowledge is unbelievable and he is great to deal with.Check out his Website to give yourself an idea of what he has and can do.
Cheers
Chris L
Old 01-11-2014, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey chris sounds like your cobra would out stop mine at least 2:1.
I had to make quick stop today after hitting a rosella on the headlight and then it ended up in my lap, so yes i will say a panic stop, must admit it stopped straight and true with a tiny little bit of rear lock up, but very quickly from 110klm to zero, gave me the biggest fright i have had in the car so far, thank god no damage though.
Anyway chris how is you new engine going? need some pics!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

G;day David;
Good news you got it stopped quickly and safely without damage, bad news for the Rosella. I have a mate who hit a seagull on a superbike at the end of Phillip Island straight at around 290kph, he thought his shoulder was gone as in missing such was the hit. Did a great job to stay upright.
As for the engine, its slow going. We are getting the heads sorted at present. There was a stuff up at the supply end and some newer gear is needed to take the cams lift. I was at FPR early in the new year and had a look at it and liked what I saw, the demands on the builders time are heavy with the race team so I will just prop and be patient. The short block is complete, Dart Block,Scat Rods/crank(331ci) and lots of other stuff I cant remember. Hoping to have a short video dyno run when its done to see what its capable of.Heads are RHS with 4 barrel throttle body injected set up. When I get some pictures I will put them up. Cameras in the engine shop of a race team are frowned upon!!
Apologies for getting off topic.

Cheers
Chris L
Old 01-12-2014, 03:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris,

Your brakes sound awesome now. I didn't want to spend that much at this time of trying to get the car together.
I would probably still be running around on the Kingswood set up except when I got the bigger wheels I had to make some adapters to get them to sit on the hub so i did it all at once. The tyres I had on the little wheels were crap and had zero grip so the wheels became the priority.

I think Riverside Racing in Werribee is the place we got some full on racing brakes for a mates x thuderdome XF race car from. Not sure. He imports old Nascar stuff from the states and builds race cars for Australia.
We are still trying to get them to properly.

Ross
Old 01-12-2014, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's it Ross, Gary gets a lot of Nascar stuff in as well as V8 supercar gear. I know exactly what you mean and that's why it took me 3 goes of mucking around to get the car to a place I'm happy with. However I would have stayed with the second combo from Hoppers if I was keeping the 15" rims and not going to 17"s.
I got the rotors and hats from Garry and re-machined/modified PCD,s to suit.It helped as at the time I had my own machine shop and could stuff around with brackets and offsets until it was right. I too did not have a huge amount of money to spend so that's the way I did it, plus I wanted to learn as much as I could as well. Because I wasn't changing master cylinders or peddle assemblies, much calculation(Piston area had to stay as close as to what existed) was done to ensure the new combo would work on the existing spec stuff I had. Happy to say it all worked a treat and it was just a matter of getting the bias right after that.
I should also say that my Python does run a booster, not sure if David's does.

Cheers
Chris L
Old 01-12-2014, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Having a crack at posting a pic, hope it works.
Regards
Chris L
Old 01-12-2014, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Try again.
Apologies
Chris L