Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sideshow

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 03:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: venom motorsports /ls1 auto
Not Ranked     
Default charcoal canster set up

helpagain
as im setting up the canster it has fuel written on the top & VAC ON THE OTHER but where does the bottom out let go??
does any one have a drawing I can see or use
canster is a new one from a Toyota camry

ROB
Old 06-29-2013, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     

My cannistor is from a VS Commodore and it has 3 outlets on top.

FUEL - goes to fuel tank
VAC - goes to intake manifold for a vacuum signal/source
PURGE - goes to throttle body inlet tube upstream of TB, but after filter.

This allows the tank to be vented to an outside clean air source when the engine is idling or has vacuum in the manifold. When engine is off, no venting, hence no fumes escaping. Also this is not an air leak into the engine as the fuel tanks are sealed.

I think for some newer system there is only two lines as the vac line is also the purge line but it is controlled by the ECU with a solenoid to only open, to allow venting, when the ECU desires. This to chase that last bit of emission control, especially at startup.

HTH
Old 06-29-2013, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I think for some newer system there is only two lines as the vac line is also the purge line but it is controlled by the ECU with a solenoid to only open, to allow venting, when the ECU desires. This to chase that last bit of emission control, especially at startup.
This is how it is on my LS3, an ECU controlled solenoid so only need two lines. My canister (VZ) has three connections so I guess I will just block one off?
Old 06-29-2013, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Mine is the same as VS commodore but off a vectra. The third outlet has a rubber hose that loops out and down kind of like an overflow. Other two are tank and purge valve.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

bottom one normally has a tube which gets poked thru a chassis rail or similar and just vents to air but they vent it into chassis rails or under some panels so its not as noticeable
boxhead and Rog246 like this.

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 06-29-2013, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Yes, that bottom connection is the atmospheric vent.

Connect a hose to it that has a bit of length to it to stop ingress of water and moisture. Do not loop or run the hose up hill.

It is good practice to make sure the bottom of that hose is protected by/up above the chassis. This reduces the likelihood of the bottom of the tube being damaged or caught/snagged by speed bumps, debris etc. As Sideshow mentioned that is why a lot of factory cars run that hose into the chassis or under body panels.

Craig White

Last edited by 400TT; 06-29-2013 at 06:13 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Rob

A photo of mine when it was in place during my short driving period. This is all sitting in the driver's side rear wheel arch above the chassis.

The upper line just led around to the rear of the wheel arch and free vented.

The lower inner line leading into the clear hose led to the vent high in the fuel fill line and the lower outer led to the vapour solenoid that plumbs in under the manifold on the AU engine.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Slo

Last edited by stephen low; 07-03-2013 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: helps to provide a location description
Old 07-07-2013, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

What car is that canister from Steve? I have only seen ones that look like drink cans!

Regards.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Mando

That's just from an AU falcon. Think it is the same in the E series and possibly others too.

It came as part of all the bits I got when I bought the engine, gearbox and accessories in the early days.

Have had to relocate it but I've found a nice hidy hole not too far away from the same location and just need to plumb it all up again.

Steve