Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree386Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2014, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Hi Mike, what's the plug(sensor) next to the oil pressure sensor on the block below the steam vent tube?
That's the Cam angle sensor. LS1 motors had it on the top/rear of the block where the later motors have it on the cam cover at the front.

The LS1 also has the knock sensors in the valley and they run through the valley plate. Later motors have them in the sides of the block.

Cheers

Old 10-27-2014, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

hi mike this is the torque angle gauge I use and been a snap on reasonably priced as well .
ive had this one for a little while but to be honest I haven't had to use it a great deal yet been semi retired I only pick and choose the jobs I want to do nowdays .
cheers dean

TA360, Torque Angle Gauge, 1/2" Square Drive
Aussie Mike likes this.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With the clutch bolted up it was time to check the clutch clearance. This was something I hadn't really understood when I first assembled the clutch and gearbox. I took for granted that the guys from SPEC who sold me the clutch would have the clearance pre-set.

So what I've found since messing with these a gearboxes is that there is often insufficient clearance between the slave cylinder when fully compressed and the fingers of the clutch. When the clutch wears the fingers steadily move further away from the flywheel face. This brings them closer to the release bearing/slave cylinder. If the release bearing can't go back any further the result is the pressure plate being slightly disengaged and the clutch starting to slip.

We don't think about it with a conventional clutch fork as there is usually plenty of external adjustment and travel. The Hydraulic throw-out bearing has no adjustment so needs adequate clearance set before assembling the whole thing.

To check you need to put a straight edge across the bellhousing and measure the distance to the fingers. in this case it's 53.57mm

Next we check the throwout bearing. Remove the spring and fully compress the hydraulic throwout. Measure from the bearing face to the front of the gearbox (where it bolts to the bellhousing). In this case it's 54.34mm

Subtract the available space between bellhousing and clutch fingers from the space used between gearbox face and throwout 53.57mm - 54.34mm = -0.77mm. That means my setup is running with the pressure plate fingers compressed by 0.77mm before I've even pressed the clutch pedal.

To rectify this I'll have to machine about 6mm off the mounting face where the slave cylinder meets the front of the gearbox. Fortunately I've made a fixture to make this an easy job on the milling machine.

If I'd put it back together as it was it wouldnt have been long before the clutch was slipping and stuffed.

Cheers
boxhead, Chris L, Gav and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 10-28-2014 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-01-2014, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The gearbox is in a million bits while I freshen up the internals. My own box was the first one I built and I'd done a fair bit of development since then. It was time to roll that back into the original one.

A mod I've been doing to a lot of the T56 boxes is changing out the pressed steel synchronizer keys for much stronger billet steel ones. When I first built mine aftermarket retaining springs weren't available for them and I had to use the originals. The spring has a hook on the end of it that's designed to engage in the hollow back of one of the pressed steel keys. This stops it rotating and potentially popping one of the keys loose. The issue with that is there is no hollow in the back of the billet keys, they are solid. The spring hooks over the side of the key instead and there is a chance the spring could rotate and one of the keys pop loose. I set them up so the rotation of the gear would keep the hook snug against the side of the key but it still worried me. The aftermarket springs have hooks on both ends so they can't pop loose (Green one on the right).

Another upgrade I figured I'd do is to change the stock plastic pads on the selector forks for some bronze ones. The plastic ones can distort under hard shifting. I had one older gearbox come in where the 1-2 and 3-4 pads were stuffed and I replace them all. The bronze ones should be a lot tougher and provide a more positive shift feel.

A fun job I finished off today was the engine cross member. A few hours on the mill and I whittled away a lot of material out of it. I removed a lot of weight and improved the aesthetic while keeping it's strength.

Looks pretty cool bolted in place.

Cheers
750hp, boxhead, Rog246 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 11-01-2014 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-01-2014, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, LS1 stack injection
Not Ranked     

I love watching this work of art getting put together. It will be one hell of a car when it's finished. I would love to see it when it's finished and this car only lives 15 min away from me. keep up the good work.
Aussie Mike likes this.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike do you have other mods that necessitates the machining of the T56? What about OEM clutch, does that still require machining.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The OEM clutch and flywheel should be OK but it's always a good idea to check to be sure.

A lot of guys have been using the LS7 clutch and flywheel. This clutch is designed for the Corvette drive train. It uses a torque tube from the bell housing back to the trans axle in the rear. The dimensions can be a little different to the conventional setup.

There's some machining involved in the way I do the mid shift conversion. I do the reverse lockout a bit differently to others. I use the solenoid location from the old CAGS system for the lockout. This boss for the CAGS solenoid in often blank and not machined on later boxes. I like this way of doing it because it makes a lockout that you cant force past and also makes for a seamless 5-6 shift (You cant feel the reverse gate as you go past.

Cheers

Old 11-02-2014, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Today's job was to get the steering rack back together. I can't progress any further with the gearbox as I'm waiting on some parts. I expected them during the week but they didn't turn up. There's plenty of other jobs to do in the mean time.

I bought a reconditioned rack but stuffed up when machining the input shaft. I was going to swap the input shaft from a spare rack but whoever had recoed the rack had mangled the roll pin that retains the shaft so I couldn't get it apart. I had a good spare one I picked up at a swap meet so decided to use it instead.

I stripped the rack down and checked it out internally. It seems to be OK. I bead blasted the housing and repainted the valve assembly. A few new O rings some fresh grease and a bit of adjustment to the pinion and it was good as gold.

I picked up a nice stainless steel Universal joint that is designed for 3/4" double D shaft which is what I had the old manual rack set up for. Splined shafts are not to bad to machine up but double D is dead easy so I went that way.

That's one more job marked off the whiteboard list.

Cheers
guye and boxhead like this.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Looking great as always Mike. Had there been any previous issues that lead you to fit a cooler to the power steering system?
Old 11-02-2014, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Never had power steering on it to know. Excess heat has been known to be an issue with Commodore power steering. I've seen a few with yellowed and distorted plastic power steering reservoirs. Reading the forums and a few have fitted coolers of some type. I had a cooler sitting on the shelf so figured I'd plumb it in now rather than having to add one later if it's a problem.

Cheers

Old 11-02-2014, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Interesting stuff - thanks mate.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I found the cooler and a good synthetic fluid made a lot of difference. The P\S pump used to whine after a lap session before that.

Beautiful work as always Mike.

Cheers
Old 11-02-2014, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was having a think about this last night. I think part of the heat problem with the Commodore setup is the PS pump is bolted directly to the front of the cylinder head. There must be a fair bit of heat soak from the engine directly into the PS pump and then the fluid.

Cheers

Old 11-02-2014, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

That it does Mike, however synthetic power steer fluid (not trans fluid) fixes it lickety split.