Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2014, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     
Default Evans waterless coolant

Is anyone running Evans waterless coolant? I've been reading up a bit, sounds like it might be worth a try, no water so no corrosion and no electrolysis, boils at 190C, you can run a 7lb cap which releases strain on hoses etc, and apparently works better than regular options particularly inside the heads.

I can't seem to find any bad reports about it, other than nay-sayers who haven't actually tried it.

It also lasts forever (20 years), the only downside appears to be cost, $90 for 4 litres so a full system is over $250. If you are flushing an existing coolant you need their water absorber product too which would add more cost. My system is obviously new and dry so I would only need the waterless coolant.

Is anyone running this?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

I've followed at least two previous threads on this topic Ben in the last year or so. Check these out:

Coolant.

Waterless Coolant
Old 12-16-2014, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have been using Evans for at least 12 years or better, (I'm to old to remember) I don't leave home without it. Here is an older post on the subject.

Evans WATERLESS Coolant

Last edited by COBRAMAN 484; 12-16-2014 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: wrong url
Old 12-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Ben, I've had the Evans coolant in my car for a while now and have not had any problems at all. I run a 7lb cap and no thermostat.

Regards.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Evans stuff seems more suited to racing applications, particularly in Australia where I found it hard to come by. They also have a specific water pump to suit an LS motor, but I couldn't get one in OZ was gunna have to get one from the States.
From what I gathered it seems like it was just a different type of 'coolant'.
In my opinion, unless you are doing endurance type racing in your Cobra then I don't think the extra expense would be worth it.
I have raced my Cobra quite a bit over the past 7 years and never had a problem with it ever getting hot.
Yes I subscribe to the Keep it simple philosophy....
Just my 2c worth.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Bit of a heart breaker if you pop off a hose which is almost compulsory on those first test drives.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

As a general observation aligned I think with other sentiments already expressed, if you're operating in an environment that deems the coolant's use as valueable, you are happy to pay way above the odds for the fluid, you are happy to be potentially incapacitated if you need to top up fluid and don't have sufficient or need to top up after any service and you think you will have so much life out of the engine that you do want to prevent against corrosion over the next 20 years. Go for it!

Personally it seems a good idea but not worth pursuing for normal operating use.

My 2.5c worth

Cheers
Old 12-16-2014, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

I am running Evans in my 482 KC Sideoiler a few years now.
Runs engine much cooler than with water, my fan comes on at 220ºF with no drama, since Evans boils at a much higher temp than water.
Hot spots or gas bubbles inside the engine do not happen any more, and you will hardly ever see hoses getting hard because of the gas pressure building up inside the cooling circuit.
Gets sometimes over 100ºF hot here in summer, and in heavy traffic engine can get really hot.
With Evans I can idle the engine for hours in very hot weather, temp will stay steady at 205ºF.

I can only recommend Evan Waterless Coolant. Fill once and forget. No need to top up since no pressure will push any coolant out of the overflow.
Just keep some for adding coolant if you have a leak.
When I do take engine out, I just collect the Evans coolant ,and put it back in when finished.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljaro View Post
I am running Evans in my 482 KC Sideoiler a few years now.
Runs engine much cooler than with water, my fan comes on at 220ºF with no drama, since Evans boils at a much higher temp than water.
Hot spots or gas bubbles inside the engine do not happen any more, and you will hardly ever see hoses getting hard because of the gas pressure building up inside the cooling circuit.
Gets sometimes over 100ºF hot here in summer, and in heavy traffic engine can get really hot.
With Evans I can idle the engine for hours in very hot weather, temp will stay steady at 205ºF.

I can only recommend Evan Waterless Coolant. Fill once and forget. No need to top up since no pressure will push any coolant out of the overflow.
Just keep some for adding coolant if you have a leak.
When I do take engine out, I just collect the Evans coolant ,and put it back in when finished.
Modena, read the above over and over until it sinks in. No reason not use it in all your vehicles, the stuff is just that GOOD. I use it in my BMW K1200S, it will pay for itself over time and the benefits are many with absolutely no downside.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

I stopped using it after I was told by my mechanic that in the event of a blown head gasket, or other events that allows coolant into the crankcase, Evans can fry the bearings quickly.
Worth checking out, if you run an FE.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     
Default coolant on the bearings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pipes;1****41
I stopped using it after I was told by my mechanic that in the event of a blown head gasket, or other events that allows coolant into the crankcase, Evans can fry the bearings quickly.
Worth checking out, if you run an FE.
This claim should certainly be addressed to Evans to determine if the product actually causes this outcome. That also assumes that your cooling system did not cause the problem in the first place. i.e. the reason you'd use Evans primarily... which should avoid this issue in the first place... However, I certainly do not wish to freeze my engine up by using any product if a head gasket blows for no apparent reason! or improper installation perhaps. Murphy happens!
Old 12-17-2014, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Watch the Leno video ...
Jay Leno's Garage » Evans Cooling
Old 12-17-2014, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mando s View Post
Hi Ben, I've had the Evans coolant in my car for a while now and have not had any problems at all. I run a 7lb cap and no thermostat.

Regards.
Mando, why you no run thermstat ??

Harrison #100
Old 12-17-2014, 10:03 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rog, I really can't tell you why.
I don't have a thermostat housing and never included one in my setup.
The car warms up really quickly and never rises above normal temperature.

Regards.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Well this has brought on some great responses, hopefully some more people will chime in with their experiences.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

I do run a thermostat with Evans. It is one with a larger opening than normal . The Evans stuff is rather soupy and a bigger central hole helps.. Using no thermostat will delay the warming up, especially in colder regions. No problem down south with warmer weather.

I have had some friends older cars, like Jaguar XK140, with overheating problems, which makes the cooling fluid to overflow and cause a big mess and alarm. With Evans temp runs up and over the water boiling point temp but nothing happens, just keeps son running.
Remember that the temp at the head/block junction is far over boiling point of water. All you need there is for the heat to be drawn away, and that is done better by Evans at 220ºF than by water at 205ºF with some air bubbles going with it. Air and gas expand with heat, which is what causes stress on the cooling hoses and spilling over of cooling fluid.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Just cross referencing another forum here

Coolant Upgrade - FerrariChat.com

which contains the following assertion:
Quote:
...My mate runs it in the Penske Indy car, much to my chagrin. Completely illegal at any circuit, because it is in fact a very light oil, so extremely slippery if it leaks onto the road...
LB
Old 02-19-2015, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

I've never found the need. A 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol and water has a boiling point of 265° F at 15 PSI. I feel as long as my cooling system can hold that pressure I'm not going to have any problems.
Jaydee likes this.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

If you run your car for 20 minutes or more, release the pressure, you'll find that for the rest of the day no more pressure will build up, unless you have insufficient cooling system, or the ambient temp is high. I ran my Territory in 43oC the other day, and removed the cap. no pressure. I have a heavy duty radiator.
Another note, if you run no thermostat, the water flow can be to fast for the radiator to actually cool down the coolant. And in winter, the engine will run to cold to be efficient.
JD
Old 02-20-2015, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     
Default Thermostat = Good

Last edited by Xack; 02-20-2015 at 04:46 PM..