Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     

Isn't bureaucracy great ? Instead of fixing the engineering/inspection problem with the appointed engineers they decide to take on the workload themselves.

Given that the whole country is contracting out anything that isn't nailed down so that the fat cats can sit and supervise the work being done, you have to ask what's driving this change ?

Surly the dept. has better things to do than taking on this can of worms or have they all run out of work. I cant wait for the next instalment.
deano59 and Rob. Smith like this.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Sounds like nothing much has changed to me. Lot's of NSW cars have been inspected by RMS over the last few years.

If your car is compliant with the rules there should not be an issue.

Ben
07cob likes this.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by just dreamin View Post
Isn't bureaucracy great ? Instead of fixing the engineering/inspection problem with the appointed engineers...
I read the situation as some of those engineers lacking integrity being the problem.

I assumed there would already be a random audit process in place as I believe there is for pink and blue slips.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival Kobra,LS7 427
Not Ranked     

Chris
I would be going to see Treeve if I was you, your engineer seems to have never done an ICV before? A RMS inspection adding 12 months and a lot of money to your already done engineering? My engineer had to submit all the same paperwork as yours is now saying he has to do at extra cost? Iam in the NT and we seem to have the smoothest rego process of all the states, My MVR inspector even did a noise test even though it was on the engineers report and accepted by the MVR when I got my VIN.
I wouldnt spend to much time worrying about having to get an RMS inspection, all they check is what RTA does when you get the first rego inspection. (unless ofcourse your car doesnt have what your paperwork says)

Last edited by alffie; 12-12-2015 at 04:23 PM..
Old 12-12-2015, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

If your engineer is having to do more work, perhaps he's the reason for more audits by RMS
Rob. Smith likes this.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys.. Im sure the engineer providing me the input is acting in the best possible light.. whats apparent at this time is that is not entirely clear what is changing with the inspection process, and a number of holes in the ADR's or regs which leave some of the judgements open to interpretation.

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade
Old 12-12-2015, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From What I understand all that has changed is RMS is doing the inspections now. I cant see the problem here?
Maybe Treeve can explain more? I understood that you have always had to have paperwork for beam/torsion tests, "E" marked lights, brake and lane change tests,welding certificates,seat belt AS std stitched on the seat belts, seat compliance paperwork etc etc.. I think the only change in the last few years is IM240 emissions test?
Chris it would pay to give Treeve a call and talk to him about any questions you have before throwing your hands in the air. He has done many ICVs and been in the game for many years.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

double post
Old 12-13-2015, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Just to add, I'm working with the RMS on this and many other problem areas (like emissions). The person who sent the email has told everyone of this new process without getting internal approval for this process, and is now getting a bit of a bashing.

I believe it will still be fairly problematic to deal with said person, but not something I haven't dealt with before. I've just compiled an email over the last 3 hours to neatly put him back in his box without any loss of face.

Treeve
Old 12-13-2015, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

SydneyChris, haven't heard of any changes. But the growing list of additional requirements has unfortunately been the situation for quite a while now from our experience. Imagine trying to scratch build a kit car these days, the testing and certification etc. would be crippling. Just working through the rego requirements is complex and time consuming enough, let alone complying with them.

With the PACE 427, we really do supply more than 2 inches of documentation to each engineer. There is also a 7+ page detailed specification sheet listing every safety critical component used and variations. Due to the amount of paperwork supplied we have even created an index page that in itself is 3 pages long to be able to lookup and find the required reports.

The RTA coming out to personally inspect kits after engineering approval I believe to be a standard thing now. All of our PACE 427's in NSW that have gone through engineering recently have had a personal RTA inspection performed.

As SydneyChris has found out, it does not matter what type or brand of kit you get approved this days, the paperwork requirement is extensive. Doesn't matter if the kit has been previously approved, for new approvals you need all of the paperwork.

SydneyChris, on a positive note, don't let it get you down, just work through each item. I hope you can understand that unfortunately we just don't have the resources to assist others with detailed engineering advice, we have more than enough on our plate just with the Pace kits. But if there are any components we use in common, you are more than welcome to contact us to see what we can do to help. So maybe just email through a list of items you have issues with and we can see if we have documentation on them. You might get lucky on some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
If this is actually the case I would want to be a Pace builder.
Tenrocca, just fixed that for you. If there are any additional requirements we just provide the certifications/reports or perform the testing required.

Just keep in mind donor parts are not the whole story. For example, you can have a donor steering column but you still need to have certified mounting points that meet the required performance criteria and justify that the steering column would actually provide the designed level of safety in a frontal collision. So would mean comparing the performance and installation from the donor vehicle and replicate that installation in your kit car. If you can't then you do what we do and test and certify. With donor parts you are always going back somewhere to fabricated mounts, even with donor suspension, so means that these mounts need to be certified strong enough and the mounting positions/angles meet the required performance criteria e.g. bump steer, etc. Also don't forget about the fasteners used, you may need to use 10.9 grade bolts for example on brakes. We certainly do to meet the required level of strength and safety.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
Just to add, I'm working with the RMS on this and many other problem areas (like emissions)...

Treeve
Great to hear.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks Gents...

What Im still looking forward to is a response from my engineer with all of the specifics so I can do just that.. work through it one step at a time.

Chris

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade
Old 12-13-2015, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT View Post
Tenrocca, just fixed that for you. If there are any additional requirements we just provide the certifications/reports or perform the testing required.
Yup, I was just questioning the whole "had to come from a production vehicle" bit, which just didn't sound right.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

400TT.. thanks for the offer of assistance.. have sent a PM.

Chris