Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By deano59
  • 2 Post By cycleguy55
  • 1 Post By cycleguy55
  • 1 Post By Tom Wells
  • 3 Post By Gav

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2016, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     
Default Control Arms - Heim\Rose\bearing joint or Bush

Planning my next winter tinker, and Im going to replace the ford rear lower control arms with tubular ones. They should save a bit of weight, allow for a bit more adjustment on the camber and allow better positioning of the shock mount compared to stock. Just after some opinions on Bush vs Heim Joints for the inner joints.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

i prefer heim joints prob for no other reason than ive used so many of them at speedway over the yrs. bushers will give you a softer ride as heim joints can be a bit harsh . i think it's more a personal thing i dont think one is better than the other ,,

cheers dean
Rog246 likes this.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
Planning my next winter tinker, and Im going to replace the ford rear lower control arms with tubular ones. They should save a bit of weight, allow for a bit more adjustment on the camber and allow better positioning of the shock mount compared to stock. Just after some opinions on Bush vs Heim Joints for the inner joints.
I don't know if these will work on your car, but one of the West Coast Cobra owners just replaced his arms with some from Spohn. Here's a link to his post and photos in the thread: Club Cobra - upper and lower rear trailing arms

Spohn's page on these: Rear Suspension Control Arms | 1972-1976 Ford Torino & Ranchero

An article on Spohn's Del-Sphere pivot joints used in their UCAs and LCAs, also comparing them to other materials. The video on this page shows how they're assembled and adjustable, as well as how they provide 28° of movement - 6° more than offered by spherical rod ends: What is a Del-Sphere pivot joint? :: Spohn Performance | Support Center
Tenrocca and Cobra72 like this.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 11-01-2016 at 09:32 AM..
Old 11-01-2016, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I have been looking at making a set using these rebuildable units.

http://www.emfrodends.com/EMF-ROD-EN...-p/ehs0.75.htm

Looking at making some CNC billet front and rear lower control arms for my CR at some point.

I've had requests for arms in the past but they are a fair bit of work to make in 4130 tube. One of my concerns about making them for others and why I have refused is engineering compliance. While I'm confident in my own welding and design I'd worry about supplying the parts to someone else. There are a lot of variables. Once a CNC program is written however it should be straightforward to make consistent accurate arms that I can get an engineer to sign off.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 11-01-2016 at 05:02 PM..
Old 11-02-2016, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
I have been looking at making a set using these rebuildable units.

EMF Rod End, Small 3/4" Shank Heim Joint

Looking at making some CNC billet front and rear lower control arms for my CR at some point.

I've had requests for arms in the past but they are a fair bit of work to make in 4130 tube. One of my concerns about making them for others and why I have refused is engineering compliance. While I'm confident in my own welding and design I'd worry about supplying the parts to someone else. There are a lot of variables. Once a CNC program is written however it should be straightforward to make consistent accurate arms that I can get an engineer to sign off.

Cheers
While there are minor differences between EMF and Spohn rod ends / pivot joints (e.g. Spohn has machined slots on the lock ring for the set screw, while EMF requires you to drill the lock ring) EMF rod ends and Spohn Del-Sphere pivot joints are very similar in concept and execution. Both seem to be excellent products for use in control arms.
Aussie Mike likes this.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Ten,

I looked and could not decide how you are using your suspension. I think the bushings vs Heims decision depends on what you plan to do with the car.

I see a racer (above) says Heims. I'd agree.

I'm a street/track day user, so I go for bushings.

I'll give some generalities about why:

Bushings require no maintenance if they are original equipment quality or better. They don't corrode. There are stiffer ones available for some applications for a bit more precision in locating the articulated arms. Stay away from the red ones - they tend to squeak after a number of miles.

Heims require frequent inspections, lube and replacement. There are some shields available to retain lube better, and to resist intrusion of unwelcome liquids such as road water and salts.

Heims locate the moving parts much more precisely than bushings; good for track usage.

Bushings are quieter in operation and more shock load resistant.

See a pattern here?

Hope this helps,

Tom
Tenrocca likes this.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all your inputs. All things considered Ive decided to go heim joints. Order 6 chromoly jobs and threaded inserts to do the pair (M16x1.5mm Right Hand Male - Ultra High Performance Rod End). Brexit helped with the price.

All up with the steel it should work out cheaper than replacing all the stock bushes and bearings and save me 20kg in the process.

Cheers
Old 11-03-2016, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

You will make up for your tank straps then?
Aussie Mike, boxhead and Tenrocca like this.