Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in F:\Inetpub\wwwroot\clubcobra\forums\includes\functions.php(5723) : eval()'d code(17) : eval()'d code on line 3
Butterfly Exhaust valves - Club Cobra
Absolute Pace

Welcome to Club Cobra.

You are currently viewing the world's largest resource for Shelby related information as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!


Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

  •  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
August 2017
S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rob. Smith

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-16-2017, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: 2010 Backdraft Stroked 392
Posts: 12
Not Ranked     
Default Butterfly Exhaust valves

Does anyone have Exhaust Butterfly Valves on there Cobra. I ask as I want to drive my Cobra to work but I leave around 5:30am so with the Cobra being so loud I will become know to my neighbours as that prick that starts his car at 5:30am in the morning guy. I saw a product that Harley's have on there bikes where a butterfly valve is placed in the exhaust and when closed 90% off it quietens the exhaust sound dramatically and when you get out on the freeway you can open it up 100% and you have the sound and performance like it was not there. Anyway I want to put those on my Cobra to lessen the noise when I start up and get around the neighbourhood, Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-16-2017, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne, Vic
Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Posts: 453
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XY GTHO Ph III View Post
Does anyone have Exhaust Butterfly Valves on there Cobra. I ask as I want to drive my Cobra to work but I leave around 5:30am so with the Cobra being so loud I will become know to my neighbours as that prick that starts his car at 5:30am in the morning guy. I saw a product that Harley's have on there bikes where a butterfly valve is placed in the exhaust and when closed 90% off it quietens the exhaust sound dramatically and when you get out on the freeway you can open it up 100% and you have the sound and performance like it was not there. Anyway I want to put those on my Cobra to lessen the noise when I start up and get around the neighbourhood, Thanks
The system is referred to as 'Bimodal'. The Xforce 'Varex' servo-adjustable bimodal mufflers are what you want. That said, with the Cobra's limited undercar space, I am not sure which of their units would fit?

Varex Mufflers

There is also the issue of legality. Despite HSV and Aston Martin (that I know of) having factory fitted, ADR approved bimodal exhaust systems, apparently to add a bimodal muffler to a vehicle that never had it from new is illegal. I guess you could get the car engineered with it after fitting and that would comply?
__________________
www.paintwerks.com.au
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-16-2017, 01:31 PM
gjkrv8's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Posts: 1,076
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintwerks View Post
The system is referred to as 'Bimodal'. The Xforce 'Varex' servo-adjustable bimodal mufflers are what you want. That said, with the Cobra's limited undercar space, I am not sure which of their units would fit?

Varex Mufflers

There is also the issue of legality. Despite HSV and Aston Martin (that I know of) having factory fitted, ADR approved bimodal exhaust systems, apparently to add a bimodal muffler to a vehicle that never had it from new is illegal. I guess you could get the car engineered with it after fitting and that would comply?
I had a look at the Varex a while ago too. The problem is their servo mechanism protrudes out the top a fair bit and where I wanted to put them under the Cobra floor, there just wasn't enough room.

I've seen a cobra at the Nationals that has the valve only option and diverts between a "loud" side non-mufflered exit and a "not so loud" rear mufflered exit.

cheers Gregg
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-16-2017, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: 2010 Backdraft Stroked 392
Posts: 12
Not Ranked     
Default

Thanks for the input guys
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-16-2017, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne, Vic
Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Posts: 453
Not Ranked     
Default

You're welcome.

You may want to have a read of this (Post #26 made by a lawyer with experience in this area):

Is Gforce Varex Exhaust A Defect? - BoostCruising
__________________
www.paintwerks.com.au
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-16-2017, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: 2010 Backdraft Stroked 392
Posts: 12
Not Ranked     
Default

Thanks but I will be okay as i now live in southern California, moved from Perth back in 1991, Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-16-2017, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne, Vic
Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Posts: 453
Not Ranked     
Default

All good. Is this what you are after? Looks like this would fit.

APEXi EXHAUST CONTROL VALVE 67mm FOR Skyline ER34 (RB25DET) 155-A015 | eBay
__________________
www.paintwerks.com.au
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-16-2017, 11:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newcastle, Warners Bay, NSW
Cobra Make, Engine: RMC. Cleveland 351
Posts: 1,420
Not Ranked     
Default

Summit racing has several "exhaust cut out valves" available. You could drill a few holes in the butterfly and tune the noise....performance would be compromised though...but I imagine Varex do the same.
Tonus72 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2017, 01:56 AM
Cobrakiller's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Perth, W.A
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 51
Not Ranked     
Default

I have two VF Commodore Bi Modal mufflers as used on HSV's etc. If you prefer a more or less straight through system there are mods that can be done to these mufflers. As they are original equipment from an OEM there shouldn't be any worries with ADR's etc.
Similar to the Corvette NPP mufflers.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: 2010 Backdraft Stroked 392
Posts: 12
Not Ranked     
Default

Thanks guys for your response. The APEX valve is exactly what I am looking for except I want to get it with a electric operated actuator. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2017, 05:47 PM
Tonus72's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hobart, TAS
Cobra Make, Engine: Planning a PACE 427, LS3
Posts: 491
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XY GTHO Ph III View Post
Thanks guys for your response. The APEX valve is exactly what I am looking for except I want to get it with a electric operated actuator. Thanks
Hi

I have no idea if you could adapt it, but there are various bike systems that have an electronic butterfly valve in the exhaust system.

Many open up over about 7000 revs to free up the exhaust (as below this is probably when the db's are tested??)

Cheers

Tony
__________________
Baby steps...
"You just have to make it happen"
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2017, 10:10 PM
Legless's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Empire Bay, NSW
Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 302 Ford HO Block
Posts: 375
Not Ranked     
Default

I had these fitted a couple of years ago, there are numerous models.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...ec66/overview/

They are ok but I have lost a couple of butterfly valves and they didn't sell the butterfly valve separately, I'm not sure whether that's changed. The electronic controller supplied is a bit 'flaky', that's probably why they've changed the model and gone to a wireless system.

Mine's not exactly the sort of thing you're after as I have a y junction in each branch of the exhaust system and it can be opened behind fake side pipes.

cheers
__________________
Legless
If its not blown it sucks!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2017, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: 2010 Backdraft Stroked 392
Posts: 12
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus72 View Post
Hi

I have no idea if you could adapt it, but there are various bike systems that have an electronic butterfly valve in the exhaust system.

Many open up over about 7000 revs to free up the exhaust (as below this is probably when the db's are tested??)

Cheers

Tony
yes i saw that some bikes have these especially Harleys specifically to quieten them down in built up areas
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2017, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: 2010 Backdraft Stroked 392
Posts: 12
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legless View Post
I had these fitted a couple of years ago, there are numerous models.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...ec66/overview/

They are ok but I have lost a couple of butterfly valves and they didn't sell the butterfly valve separately, I'm not sure whether that's changed. The electronic controller supplied is a bit 'flaky', that's probably why they've changed the model and gone to a wireless system.

Mine's not exactly the sort of thing you're after as I have a y junction in each branch of the exhaust system and it can be opened behind fake side pipes.

cheers
Thanks Legless this is prety much what I have been looking for I will check it out to see if they have 2.5" or 3" dia valve, wireless would be great
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-25-2017, 06:46 PM
Tonus72's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hobart, TAS
Cobra Make, Engine: Planning a PACE 427, LS3
Posts: 491
Not Ranked     
Default

Gumtree...?




Please view this ad:

2015 VF SS-V SII Bimodal exhaust engine back.6.2l,
2015 VF SS-V SII Bimodal exhaust engine back.6.2l | Engine, Engine Parts & Transmission | Gumtree Australia Gold Coast West - Nerang | 1138508357

Price: $220 Negotiable

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/7NzhP
__________________
Baby steps...
"You just have to make it happen"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: CC Policy