Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2018, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Treeve thank you for your input. When you say two distinct sides of the fence is that in relation to the kit and ease of assembling or other issues? I have read some other things and know someone personally that has spoken to me. Just want clarification re ease of assembly. Cheers
Old 04-14-2018, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

You're asking questions which are dependent on many many variables.

Are you the type of chap who will bang the head of of a nickle plated bolt with a ball-peen hammer to drive it into position or, would you use a sacrificial bolt to align the components and then an impact attenuation pad to protect the new bolt during final assemble?

One will take four times longer than the other to complete a build.

I'll be blunt to be honest. If you have to ask these questions you're not cut out for it. I state that in your interest.
Rob. Smith and Gaz64 like this.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately the answer to your original question is, it depends on YOU, and not individual experiences.

People's responses here are largely driven by what they experienced, and largely this is irrelevant to you because everyone has a different skill level and experience. If one person said "it's really hard" it does not mean you will find it hard - same goes for the bloke who says "its pretty easy" - doesn't mean it will be easy for you, and for your skill set and experiences.

Perhaps try to think of it like this, forget that it's a Cobra for the moment; let's say you had a large garage area, and a fairly simple vehicle, say a HQ Holden, was completely disassembled and sitting in the garage area.

You have SOME level of instructions (amount varies by vendor).
You have most of the tools you will need, but you WILL need to buy some.

Would you be able to put the car together completely and finally, and safely drive it down the road?

If with full instructions, you could do this, then you can build a Pace.

One last thought, how hard do you want to make it? As you delve more into Cobra's will find that not only are no two alike, but they are all personalised. How personalised do you want to make this? You might not like the way a supplied wiring loom is designed, and choose to make your own. You might not like the sidepipes that a supplier might have, and choose to make your own.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

I would say that given the number of guys I’ve met with no previous skill set that it is do-able if you have a network of friends with skills, tools and a willingness to provide both. You also need to understand that some things will cost and many, many jobs will be done 5+ times in a build. Get used to putting the engine in, then taking it out again. Then doing it again. Do you have an engine crane? No? Well you can hire one. Great. Hiring one five times can be a pain in the arse, you’ll have to have used a trailer / ute to collect it and unload it and take it back each time, and the cost to hire 5 times would be what it cost to buy it in the first place. I justified buying one on the basis that it’s cheaper than physio for a disc injury. And you’d be surprised the uses you find for it after that.
But this is a fairly major tool with a pretty focussed use. You’ll be building a car. Do you have an engine stand? You might be able to leave the crate enginenin the crate, but what about in the other 4 times you take it out when it’s connected to a gearbox? Do you have acres of storage space for panels and parts? A parts washer? Will you only buy new or refurbish older parts? Can you rebuild brakes / put seal kits through them? Do you enjoy playing with 12V electrical stuff? I know I don’t, so it takes me forever - I persevere so that I can learn and so I can understand the pitfalls my customers face. Even stuff like ‘do you know where to buy good quality electrical connectors?’ Or do you plan on buying 20packs of spade connectors and scotch locks from Supercheap? (Please don’t ever use scotch locks on anything, they’re rubbish).
Only you know your skill set, desire to learn, ability to get things done and desire to do it yourself. Possibly contact manufacturers to see what their support is like.
In terms of two sides of the fence I was commenting on brands - some people are strongly supportive of a brand and some people are strongly counter to that brand, with seemingly little in between.
Treeve
Rob. Smith, Gaz64 and Jaydee like this.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     

Just to confuse the reader somewhat more, may I suggest you appraise/inspect existing cars that are for sale in South OZ. There are three cars listed on car sales.com under the AC heading ranging from 60 to 140 big $$$$. I presume they are registered in this state for that sort of money.
Looking at these and others may help you decide if you really can do better at building what you want? Whether you really want to build one for your own reasons or if it was a bad idea in the first place.
Its really all up to you.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

There are some excellent points by Treeve and others about the investment needed just to do a build. You don't do a build like this to save money since the front end investment in tools will exceed your savings on a kit. And if you're inexperienced and don't have slave labor (kids) to help with many of the two-man portions, then you'll be way behind.

Buy someone elses unfinished kit and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Yeah, buy my GT40. I've got 3 other cars to finish first. Far out, do I really have that many projects? That's depressing.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

One of the Cars on car sales is mine. Out of desperation I have to sell mine. I've only just finished it. As a mechanic it still had a lot of headaches. Like Treeve said, pulling the engine in and out several times, fitting of brackets, making brackets, supports, taking the dash out several times. Then you have to hire a car trailer several times to put it on the dyno to get the emissions checked, then you have to hire a race track to road test for brakes and handling. Paying the engineer everytime. Passing the noise test. Obviously I sound biassed because I want to sell mine but I think all will agree with me, that's why many kits doesn't get finished. Getting your ambition and capability mixed up. That's how I got mine and saved a bit in doing so. So the easiest way is still the pace, but the price of the complete kit will set you back a lot more then most second hand Cobras. Have a chat with Deano.
Good luck in your choice and keep asking questions.
JD
Old 04-15-2018, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Sounds rough Jaydee. I don't know why you hired a trailer for an emissions test when you could just get an unregistered vehicle permit? And your engineer needed a race track? The engineer a lot of Melbourne people use doesn't have such a requirement.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

At the time I wasn't comfortable with the brake set up, and my engineer used a airfield runway near goolwa. But other engineers use a race track. I still had to pay to use the airport. What do they use in Melbourne to test the car?
JD
Old 04-15-2018, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

A back street when they did mine!
boxhead, gjkrv8 and Modena like this.