Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2018, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     
Default Broken A-Arm

Hi Everyone,

Recently during some track time at Phillip Island with the CCCV I noticed my car would "move around a bit" especially at high speed on the straights

It was a very gusty day and I put it down to that. Did a quick check in the pits and everything seemed ok.

But when I finished the day the steering felt a bit spongy.

Upon a detailed inspection when I got home I found I had a broken passenger side A-Arm. I think it might have been cracked or fractured prior to the event - I had done my pre-race check and didnt pick it up. So not sure.

I contacted Dan at Classic Revival and he made me two new A-Arms and installed new bushes and lower ball joint. All in a relatively short time. Thanks Dan for great service.

Installed them both tonight and did a quick front end alignment check - need to adjust by 2mm, road test and all good.

I reckon those potholes on Melb roads were the cause of this, I've done 30,000Klms over 10 years.

Anyway, here's some pics. Heading off to Winton next week weather permitting for a test day, should be fun.

cheers

Gregg

boxhead likes this.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, FORD 302W,T5
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Lucky eh!
That's why I hate fabricated A arms -- cause you'll never know the skill level of the fabricator or the materials used -- unless they come with an engineering certification
Rob. Smith and gjkrv8 like this.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Yep all my stuff is in a light colour so that cracks, oil leaks etc can be seen easier. Black hides too much. It's a NASCAR trick.
Mrs flatchat, gjkrv8 and Rog246 like this.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

That’s got nothing to do with quality of steel / fabrication and everything to do with the design of the A-arm and where the forces go. Failures like this are typical for a-arms where the shock is part way up the arm like that with a resulting bending moment. Designing for shock loads from potholes is easy and has been done for years (VSB 14 quotes similar numbers to those used by Lotus in the 1950’s for road cars... a bump is a bump is a bump).
A better solution is to change the force paths in the arm.
Treeve
Old 04-12-2018, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

I see what you mean. Not sure though if you could get the lower shocker mount any closer as its already nearly 45 degree angle and it would interfere with the tyre/wheel etc I think. But then I know nothing about this subject. cheers Gregg
Old 04-12-2018, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And that’s where an engineer comes in with alternatives like push rod suspension, changing the design to be better suited to the loads being carried, changes to the type of shock mounting, changes to the mounting location on the arm (looks like the welds are in tension over bumps which isn’t a great choice.
Definitely a raft of available improvements if engineered correctly. And engineering is very different to fabrication in this sense.
Treeve
gjkrv8, Gaz64 and citric acid like this.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
And that’s where an engineer comes in with alternatives like push rod suspension, changing the design to be better suited to the loads being carried, changes to the type of shock mounting, changes to the mounting location on the arm (looks like the welds are in tension over bumps which isn’t a great choice.
Definitely a raft of available improvements if engineered correctly. And engineering is very different to fabrication in this sense.
Treeve
Yes, the welds are under tension, and waiting for failure.

The tube has fractured at the highest stress point, and the weakest after the welding process.

Tubes need to be thicker wall and/or larger diameter.

Gary

Last edited by Gaz64; 04-13-2018 at 01:19 AM..
Old 04-12-2018, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So, move the tubes and redesign the connection. Making everything thicker and heavier is a cop-out. Putting the a-arm together then drilling for the suspension mount tube through the side will reduce this, and then reinforcing plates can be added. Alternatively , running some numbers on appropriately sized gussets and designs can help to ensure there is no significant change in modulus through the arm and hence eliminate the sudden change. Finally, you could go back to scratch and consider changing the top mount so you can move the bottom mount. This then changes the force paths and hence you could redesign it to be stronger and lighter.

Treeve ‘not my first rodeo’ the engineer
Rob. Smith likes this.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

C’mon Treeve,
Those arms were designed by an engineer!
Old 04-13-2018, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I’ve made ****ty design choices in the past too - and I’m sure I’ll make them in the future. But not in an area that I have a fair bit of experience in.
My point is - these will probably work just as well as the exact previous ones did. And they broke. So why do the same thing and expect a different outcome?
My aim was to highlight some opportunities for improvement that wouldn’t be too hard to implement.
Gav and Gaz64 like this.

Last edited by Treeve; 04-13-2018 at 02:04 PM..
Old 04-13-2018, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

In the FWIW category all the stress in that assembly is located between the shock mount and the ball joint. The trailing portion of the arm that actually broke, goes to the frame pivot and carries next to no stress compared to the portion between the ball joint and the shock mount.

I think the real problem here is a lack of government control! We need legislation passed that requires weldments and their various components to be a non stressed portion of the suspension system, a full background check should be required before the sale of any welding rod and certainly registration (or is that castration — ) of all welded suspension components would go a long way to eliminating this type of problem. Seems like something ought to be castrated though ...

Sadly, it appears that we have been let down, yet again, by our fine elected representatives — simply the best that money can buy!

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
C’mon Treeve,
Those arms were designed by an engineer!
So were the original Tacoma Narrows Bridge, the Titanic and the O-rings on the Challenger space shuttle - and we know how those turned out.

Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

Titanic (brittle rivets): https://www.usnews.com/news/national...e-titanic-sunk

Challenger Disaster: https://www.thinkreliability.com/cas...ger-explosion/
boxhead likes this.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 04-13-2018 at 03:33 PM..
Old 04-13-2018, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In the FWIW category on this, the bending moment is created in relation to the the two areas that you suggest with the shock acting as a simple support for the wheel to impose the moment around. The weld failed in the heat affected zone and hence is exactly where a failure would be expected if it were not a cracked weld in and of itself. So the failure has a lot to do with design. And the American system is a lot more free than the Australian system.
Gaz64 likes this.

Last edited by Treeve; 04-14-2018 at 02:52 PM..
Old 04-13-2018, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
So were the original Tacoma Narrows Bridge, the Titanic and the O-rings on the Challenger space shuttle - and we know how those turned out.

Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

Titanic (brittle rivets): https://www.usnews.com/news/national...e-titanic-sunk

Challenger Disaster: https://www.thinkreliability.com/cas...ger-explosion/

Brian, you need to brush up on your sarcasm skills.
boxhead and Wazza like this.