Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2018, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Your fixation with specifics is what is the problem - no one but you was taking it so specifically. For example ‘in which area was the failure?’ ‘The failure was in the area around the shock connection’. But I didn’t specifically mention cross section areas but a generic term of ‘areas’. The post defined the simple support and moment as well as the causes of these in what is effectively a cantilever setup.
Whilst the internet is a conduit for communication you seem to be going out of your way to use it as a conduit for arguing and for trying to make yourself seem superior by using lots of long words that layman’s terms don’t include. As I’m sure you realise, the majority of persons on this forum are in the category ‘not engineers’, so we should at least try to explain things in ways they understand.
Your constant concerns about my use of the word ‘by’ to define the (locational) areas of the failure and the forces applied mean that I have edited the post. And by locational I mean ‘I live in an area near a school and a hospital’. No mention of specifics, but people will know straight away that there is a hospital and school near my house with no need to define cross sections or specific definitions. As you wrote - my description was minimally misleading, and seemingly specifically mislead by you in your understanding. My description of the forces however was correct. Your interpretation of my description of the area was just as incorrectly interpreted by you by me.
Thanks for communicating and note that 80% of communication is by body language - something unavailable to written word. This is also not fully paid for technical advice whereby more time and effort will be put in to offering engineering advice to ensure a proper understanding. So whilst I may be an engineer employed in the automotive field specifically around home built vehicles in Australia, I’m also just a dude who enjoys building cars and being on forums trying to help people out along the way. And not getting paid for it so it doesn’t need to be perfect. In fact, my insurance doesn’t cover professional advice given on forums which is why I never treat it as such.
Treeve
Gav and Gaz64 like this.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G Force Cobra 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

Wow gjkrv8.
That could have turned ugly really quick.
Great to hear that you only experienced some loss of steering sharpness. I think we can all learn from failures. Its great to see a guy step up and say, ooops I have had a part fail. Its great to look how it failed and learn how we can all improve our cars. I have a similar design in the lower arms of my 32 Tudor. It is a common design. I have never really liked how long the lower shock bolt is and the possible flex. The competition arms I have had experience with have a tube go across the arm behind the shock mount. Then plates go from that tube to the ball joint area. These plates are what the shock mounts to. With an open mind and some clever ideas we can all look at building a better mouse trap.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I drawded an engineeringing drawing for you Greggy....

boxhead, stiffy, Gav and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Tenrocca; 04-15-2018 at 04:10 PM..
Old 04-14-2018, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
Your fixation with specifics is what is the problem - no one but you was taking it so specifically. For example ‘in which area was the failure?’ ‘The failure was in the area around the shock connection’. But I didn’t specifically mention cross section areas but a generic term of ‘areas’. The post defined the simple support and moment as well as the causes of these in what is effectively a cantilever setup.
Whilst the internet is a conduit for communication you seem to be going out of your way to use it as a conduit for arguing and for trying to make yourself seem superior by using lots of long words that layman’s terms don’t include. As I’m sure you realise, the majority of persons on this forum are in the category ‘not engineers’, so we should at least try to explain things in ways they understand.
Your constant concerns about my use of the word ‘by’ to define the (locational) areas of the failure and the forces applied mean that I have edited the post. And by locational I mean ‘I live in an area near a school and a hospital’. No mention of specifics, but people will know straight away that there is a hospital and school near my house with no need to define cross sections or specific definitions. As you wrote - my description was minimally misleading, and seemingly specifically mislead by you in your understanding. My description of the forces however was correct. Your interpretation of my description of the area was just as incorrectly interpreted by you by me.
Thanks for communicating and note that 80% of communication is by body language - something unavailable to written word. This is also not fully paid for technical advice whereby more time and effort will be put in to offering engineering advice to ensure a proper understanding. So whilst I may be an engineer employed in the automotive field specifically around home built vehicles in Australia, I’m also just a dude who enjoys building cars and being on forums trying to help people out along the way. And not getting paid for it so it doesn’t need to be perfect. In fact, my insurance doesn’t cover professional advice given on forums which is why I never treat it as such.
Treeve

Treeve my fixation is not with specifics, any level of detail is OK. My fixation is with BS masquerading as fact.

When you represent yourself as an engineer people hold your commentary in higher regard and asign more significance to it. Your representation of the forces and subsequent failure analysis was simply incorrect but the average forum participant would not know that.

To use the excuse that you are not being paid so factual representations are not necessary is counter intuitive to what these forums are about which is, to the extent possible, factually representing the origins of a problem and offering correct advice based on fact to help the other forum member(s). You did not!

To argue you were not paid and therefor had no obligation to factually or accurately respond is ludicrous. Your representation that ~80% of communication is non verbal/written i.e. body language may be true in daily conversation but not in technical papers or component failure assessments.

Technical papers have zero non written communication. The phenomena at hand is described and evaluated factually. The environmental conditions prior to the occurrence, during and after the occurrence are documented and the events are studied to determine the answers to the perennial what, when, where, why and how questions.

The guys on the site here may not be graduate engineers (although some are) but they are pretty bright and can pick up on the gist of things rather quickly. Again as I had previously stated most physical phenomena have a rather simple analog that can be used to explain them. If you remember when you were in school and the professor embarked on a new and complex concept with the class he would lead in with a less sophisticated analog bringing you into the more complex subject.

For those of us who were schooled in these disciplines it is inconceivable that you would not extend the same considerations, to Forum enthusiasts who are trying to understand and learn, as your professors did for you when you were trying to understand and learn.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 04-14-2018 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 04-15-2018, 01:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

How much do you want to win?
I've edited my post.
I've said you won.
Now you keep carrying on in a manner which isn't on topic, and doesn't actually answer the questions asked in terms of how to improve the failure.
When I suggested that your description was incorrect, you haven't addressed it.

So, I can only conclude you are now trying to cause an argument. I'm not going to give you an argument, you have said your piece and our opinions differ. That's part of forums - opinions and different ones at that. You say aluminum I say aluminium.

I hope you have a great day, because I see no further point in discussing this.

To repeat:
You win, +1 internet points for you today, you can be glad you won an argument on a forum with someone you'll never meet and who doesn't care for what you had to say.
You didn't offer any useful information on the topic of the actual forum post in which you won the argument that you started. Extra +1 internet points for trolling.
Bonus point for getting me to go back and editing my post.

I hope you have a good day, and that this continues with your highscore of internet forum usage. I remember why I don't bother with this forum too often, so for all the Aussie guys - thanks for coming, I'll be back in 6 months. (in fact, you can have a bonus +1 internet point for getting me to leave the forum for a while). Woo, new high score!

Treeve
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Treeve, you are and have been missing the whole point. It is about not spreading misrepresentations as fact. Nothing more nothing less. There is already too much of that. None of us need any more.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Wholly large picture batman!
Old 04-15-2018, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Thanks Andrew I think I get it now :-)
boxhead likes this.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy17 View Post
Wholly large picture batman!
Fixed it. Soz.

Just super keen to show the (very limited) extent of my personal engineering skills!!
boxhead and gjkrv8 like this.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Had you added measurements I would have thought your pic was legit Andy.
boxhead and gjkrv8 like this.