Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Unique427
  • 1 Post By Tom Wells
  • 2 Post By stephen low
  • 1 Post By LoBelly

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2020, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     
Default Jaguar Diff identification.

Years ago I found a site that identified what model Jaguar my Differential came from. That site has disappeared. I've done a search on this site and found nothing. I've contacted many Jaguar parts companies and they want pictures. The only other identification method was the width of the rear end. Not much good when it's been narrowed. I messaged the Jaguar Owners Club and have no reply. I've even just punched in the cast numbers and stamped numbers off the diff an had no joy. Can anyone help me here ?? Surely there is a document somewhere that identifies the factory cast numbers and conforms the stamped ones. A mate needs to know what his diff is so he can replace seals.
Can anyone throw some light on this for me ?
Old 10-10-2020, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The document that helps identify pretty much every variant with part numbers is titled:

"Service Manual for SALISBURY HYPOID AXLES"

Here is a link and you can print it off there:

http://www.thecarnut.com/Manuals/Sal...xleService.pdf
Rob. Smith and joyridin' like this.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Rob,

Here's a link to my little web site that gives a pretty good lesson in Jag rear ID: Jag rear axle ID - FirstCoastCobraClub

Go to the top of the thread and feel free to download the graphics if you're so inclined.

Enjoy,

Tom
Rob. Smith likes this.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G Force Cobra 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

Thanks Tom Wells. I have grabbed a copy of that information. I have 3 Jag diffs at the moment. All different. This will help me order parts etc. Like most jag Diffs. When you buy them they are usually out of the car. So no chassis identification. This will be a great help. Bender
Old 10-23-2020, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Try contacting Jagbits
Old 11-19-2020, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

I'm too looking are rejuvenation of what I think is an XJ6 diff under my car. I'll be using that pictorial guide to help identify what I might have installed.

But the question for me is, can you get new replacement bits for these diffs to do a proper overhaul, and I mean such as the crown and pinion gears, let alone any bearings and seals?

I've asked the same question on the Jag forum but awaiting a response.

Any ideas?
Old 11-19-2020, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
I'm too looking are rejuvenation of what I think is an XJ6 diff under my car. I'll be using that pictorial guide to help identify what I might have installed.

But the question for me is, can you get new replacement bits for these diffs to do a proper overhaul, and I mean such as the crown and pinion gears, let alone any bearings and seals?

Any ideas?
The easiest thing to do if find a Dana 44 carrier. You can find them pretty cheap used all over the place as they made them for years. Be sure you get the correct tooth count as there is a 19 tooth axle and a 30 tooth. Get a set of Dana 44 gears and install them with shims instead of the collapsible sleeve used on the original Jag carrier. The split is different on a Jag versus a Dana. The Jag splits at 3.54 and the Dana 44 splits at 3.70. The Dana uses 3/8" ring gear and the Salisbury uses 7/16". You can use the Salisbury carrier with the Dana gears, but you need to find spacers or shoulder bolts. There are companies that make them.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Ha ha

Not a clue as to what you just said Joyridin, as I've never played with a diff, but can half guess the message you are trying to convey.

The plan was to have a fellow club member, experienced in these diffs do the work, so he might better understand the message.

I do however definitely need to identify what model diff is under my car first.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

I used a new Crownwheel and pinion from Denis Welch Motorsport in mine with an Auburn Gear LSD centre.. You have to do a little grinding in the case for clearance but worked out ok.

https://www.bighealey.co.uk/jaguar/a...-new-jcrax150b

https://dazecars.com/dazed/JaguarIRS4.html

The boys at Spiteri Jaguar set it up for me.
http://www.vicspiteri.com.au/

Last edited by kyleb; 11-20-2020 at 12:30 AM..
Old 11-20-2020, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excellent Kyleb

As the Daze Car article says, if you haven't tackled these before, farm out the work.

That was always planned with Billy Big Block, but I think even he was unsure of the above details so that article is a Godsend many thanks.

Knew the main bits wouldn't be cheap but getting a quiet diff is the aim so new bits it will be.

Under the current circumstances it might be interesting to see if the parts can be sourced out of England / Europe. We will see!
Old 11-21-2020, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No worries Slowy.
Mine is as quiet as they get.
If we weren’t grounded internationally I’d bring a set back from the U.K for you.
Depends on when you want to do it.
Cheers
Old 11-21-2020, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Am contemplating a winter upgrade as I have to also tackle movement upwards of a frame strengthening bracket that is now being hit by the revised rear end arrangement.

I had Marty do the XJ8/X308 rear end upgrade to also allow fitment of the Vintage rims I'd bought. This ended up shortening the whole rear end to get the mag rims /tyres under the mudguard lip. This consequently brought the swinging hub more under the chassis.

I've jacked up the rear and have bump stops but moving this bracket upwards will help give more room.

So not a quick exercise but times will with having to remove the rear end, so that's when the diff gets done too.

What's the likelihood of a UK travel by mid - next year do you think? That would certainly get around some importing issues.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mid next year should be o.k as long as the Vaccine timeline stays on track and restrictions ease for international operations.
Let’s hope 2021 is somewhat more kind to us all than this year has been!
Old 11-21-2020, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks mate

Yer madness

I like a line I saw - 2020 brought to by Sesame Street along with the letters WTF!

Cheers
Tom Wells and kyleb like this.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone.. I've gone through all the avenues and some back alleys and it seems that there is no official identification of diff housings. ( I even went to patent identification.) I rang several places here and in the usa and got some sort of information. not totally positive. The final answer was to send pics or remove the axle and identify if it had two or one bearings. Dave at Cathouse spares. gave me the best info but he also recommended pulling the thing apart to positively identify that actual housing. XJ6 Series 2 late model, was the verdict
Old 11-27-2020, 01:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post

Any ideas?
Hello Slowy

In 2008 JagDaim did my diff for me using their secret sauce combination recycled parts and new seals and whatnot.

Has held up under severe provocation so I would suggest it's worthwhile giving them a call - they can probably give you a ball park over the phone

When I did mine they gave me a fixed price sight unseen and I just took the diff unit in and came back some days later.

https://www.jagdaim.com/

ta
LoBelly

Modena likes this.

Last edited by LoBelly; 11-27-2020 at 01:48 AM..
Old 11-30-2020, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Call Jag bits
Old 12-02-2020, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G Force Cobra 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

Slowy, You can get most of the bearings and seals from most reputable bearing shops. I use Pine rivers bearings in Brendale QLD for my bearings. The guys are old school and very knowledgeable. Just take down your old bearings and seals for cross referencing. The pinion spacer and side shims you can get from Jagdaim. I had the gears for a Hot rod diff lapped by Diff Lapping QLD. Lapping will reduce the noise if the gears were not correctly matched. Hope the info helps.
Bender

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: