Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-25-2003, 02:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default Reptyl....

Jason,
As El Presidente of the Vic Cobra Club, what's the chance of getting the word out down there about this website, specifically the "Australian Cobra club" page?

The software on here is very stable, and the people and amount of general Cobra info throughout the rest of the site is top class. With more Australian input, I think this forum could become a very valuable local source of info.

Do you have an email list that you could post the Aust Forum link to? http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/foru...?s=&forumid=65

Thanks,

Last edited by 750hp; 06-26-2003 at 06:52 AM..
Old 06-25-2003, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Here! Here! Craig, I Heartely agree. It would be good to see a bit more local content and a few new Aussies posting on this forum.

Cheers

Old 06-25-2003, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

I will gladly spread the word, as I agree with all you have said (top class site, lots of good cobra info).

I don't have much to do with the Australian Coba Club site you need to contact Niel Hammond for that one. We will be setting up a Victorian website and will speak to the web master in regards to a link.

I will also send an email out to the Vic email group, and mention it at the next meeting (if I get time). The next one is an AGM and we are putting together a new committte as we have just become incorperated.

I'll shell get the word out.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks mate. Our monthly breakfast up here is on Sunday week, and I'm going to print out some flyers to hand out to the Qld guys.

It'll take a while to build up, but I'm sure it will become a great place to keep in touch about various rego issues, specific manufacturer info, upcoming race meetings, shows, cruises etc.

I think Neil's website would be best left as a static site, with the forums being run from here.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

I agree.

Were you at the Nats last year?
Old 06-27-2003, 02:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I wasn't there! In fact, I haven't been to a national event for a few years, since West Wyalong. I'd like to get there this year though.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was just having a quick squiz at your photo gal'

Who's the guy with the Gold weapon at Willowbank?

I'm not as interested in who it is, rather- How the hell does he get in and out of that monkey cage?

Also the first couple of photos you posted (blue Cob- norm bonnet) is that your car in a pre supercharger life?
Old 06-27-2003, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

JASON, Do you remember the BAD BOY 460 Falcon from West Wylong that was Craigs, although he didn't have the cajewelys to drive it then on the runway
.....that maybe why his eyes are closed in that photo of his
....maybe he's pondering just who will have the BALLS to drive the Cobra at full tilt on the runway??

....also Jason i believe you should be handed Senior Club Cobra status purely on Merit your postings to date have been Outstanding God Help you LS1 AND LEXUS owners and all you BANANA Benders
Old 06-28-2003, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gee wizz!!! what's that warm feeling down below

Is that smoke being blown up my backside

Come on OZie.. stuff this senior bit..I want Veteran status!

As for all those guy out their with monster LS1's and twin turbo lexus beasts.... I wont be hanging to much **** on ya! As long as everyone realises that we don't all have a pocket full of money, and we arn't all looking for a HP reading in Quadrupple figures.

But when it come to these bannana benders hanging shiit on our Melbourne weather that's a different story...We're in the middle of the driest 3 year period on record and half of the state is in drought. And wasn't that your 'perfect one day under water the next' state on the news 2 nights ago suffering torrential rain.
A rainy day in Melbourne is 5 - 10mm...QLD rainy day is measured in metres.

and yes I know Ozies looking for Quadrupple figures from his beast. But I can't hang shiit on him 'cause he still has my Cobra video

When are we catching up for a drink Pauly?
Old 06-28-2003, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     
Default QLD rainy day is measured in metres

Ermmm..ahmmm...welll.....yep...that was us, just waterin the lawn

Actually, it was bit south of here <---------- down that way.

Talking about money and motors. Any of you fellas got any knowledge of 377 stroked windsors. How they perform, reliability, etc etc.

Seems they would be a fairly inexpensive block to build up. My concern has to do with the big end journals being close to 302 size after the cranks been done.

Take care you lot
Old 06-28-2003, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know of one fellow down here that built a very nice 377 windsor with all the nice bits (Motec ect.). Seems like a very strong and reliable engine although he doesn't get out on the track much.

That's about as far as my knowedge stretches on the subject.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

He gets to the track , but then the tea and scones come out !!!!!!
Old 06-28-2003, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Les,

I don't think the 302 size big ends will be a problem. From memory the 351 Windsor is famous for it's extra beefy big end journals. Guys in the US are regularly taking 351 Windsors out to as big as 427 so 377 isn't a big leap. I'd be more concerend with rod length ratios. If you could get some pistons with higher gudgeon pins and run longer rods I reckon it'd be a winner. I wonder if the smaller journal and con rod big end will add up to less rotating mass? Craig would be the one to talk to as he has a big cube Windsor (It's a tall deck SVO block though). 377 isn't a big capacity jump. Would you get better bang for your buck with a set of well ported alloy heads for similar cash?

Jason,

I'm not exactly rolling in cash, I'm building my car on a pretty tight budget and doing 90% of the work myself. I pick up parts when I can afford them and try to catch the bargains when they turn up.

Buying the LS1 motor when I did forced my hand a bit. I wanted the US Camaro or Corvette version and a new motor was prefered but not essential. The motors at Eagle were selling like hot cakes and I got the 2nd to last one and a friend got the last one for his Classic Revival. They had already jumped up $700 from when they first started selling them and the next batch are expected to be arround 8 or 9 grand.

I'm not looking for huge HP numbers but I know with this combination I'll be able to get 400+ HP down further the track with very little work (and still be streetable and emissions legal).

See you this Thursday

Cheers

Old 06-28-2003, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know what your saying Mike. Your doing excactly what I did.
I feel a bit sorry for the guys out there these days tring to build these things to a budget.
You just don't have the same options (motor wise) as you did 5 -10 years ago (thanks to Vicroads).
I think you have made a very wise choice all things considered.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Hi guys

Did someone mention a 377c.i ??

Mike Moore campaigned the motor that I now have and he worked closely with Shane Cable at C.O.M.E.

Although Shane mainly builds Chev. motors he originally put the motor together for Mike Moore and has some strong opinions on 351c.i windsors and how they can be strocked.

Mike takes very good care of motors and does not thrash - Ha!! Ha!!.

He did not have any trouble with the 377 strocker.

Perhaps Shane may be worth a call. You find him at
Chev. Offroad Marine Engines - C.O.M.E in Melbourne. Sorry don't have their number handy.

I am looking but just cannot find the copy of Kit Car magazine which had a very good article on strocking 351 c.i blocks.

I can recal them being taken to well over 400 with some minor changes to the block with grinding to allow crank counter balances rotating through. Can anyone remember the edition??

I also think Brian from Geelong has a 400 plus c.i strocker in the bark blue cobra that I was in at Mt.Gambier.

Hey Jason you really have the hang of those smiling faces now!!

It will be good to get some more people on this site. I have made contact withy one or two already and find it a real source of information.

Will talk soon

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 06-28-2003, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Here is the web site for chev off road.
http://www.comeracing.com/
I am still thinking about the stroker kit, but I dont need it for about 12 months so i will keep thinking

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul - jeez, you guys are brutal! The crazy thing about me not driving my own car on the runway was that I didn't have a CAMS license. This must automatically mean that I don't have a clue about motorsport (if you can call going fast in a straight line motorsport). When I was told that I wasn't allowed to drive it, I was standing with a group of guys at the motel. I asked if anyone wanted to drive it, and the first person to put their hand up caught the keys, and away they went. They'd never even sat in the car, let alone driven it at near-top speed. Who do you think might have been the safer driver at that point in time??? I was pretty pissed off, but I know that rules are rules and in any case, it was fun to hear it from the outside for a change.

Jason - The guy in the gold Cobra is Rob Armstrong. The car has a nitrous small block chev, and has run a string of high 9 second 1/4 mile times. I've never seen him get in and out of the car with the mass of roll-bar tubing around him, but OZVENOM and I have spoken before about how dangerous it looks in the event of a rollover / fire.....
Who does have a pocket full of money? I haven't requested financial records of anyone else in the Cobra Club, but I know that guys up here respect each others car whether they built them car using loose change lying around the house, or whether they had to beg, barter and borrow to get the car to completion. In case you consider it relevant, OZVENOM could tell you how many years we could have saved in the construction of my car if money was no object. ACAndy and AussieMike will also attest to my home being no palace, and pretty conclusive proof that the sum total of the last few years of my life is tied up in this car. Anyway, maybe I'm being touchy and you weren't really having a dig at anyone here....

The Cobra on the oldest page of my gallery is my 1991 RMC. It had a 351W, T5 and Jag rear. I put a new body on this car, and sold it locally. The old body in this photo is the one on my current car.

Les - If you want to buy an Eagle or Scat rotating assembly anyway, you'd be crazy not to get the larger 3.7 (or 3.75) stroke. Rod length / stroke ratio is fine, the pin isn't down into the oil ringland, everythings fine with them. Depending on your choice of valvetrain, you'll have a motor that makes LOTS of torque, can rev like you wouldn't imagine, and all with stunning reliability. If you already have a good stock crank and rods, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them in a street motor up to 6000 rpm.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     
Default jeez, you guys are brutal

Brutal???, more like downright cruel they are Craig.

Thanks for the motor info Craig..One of my considerations is the 398 stroker.

However, given we are chatting about budgets I was looking at the options. The 377ci stroker can be done fairly cheaply by:
Stroking the standard crank from 3.5 to 3.685. this will leave a 2.12 rod journal.
Fitting mopar 6.125 rods (std big end = 2.12)..narrowed .015"
And...and...shhhhh..do I havta say it...using chev pistons.

All pretty cheap stuff. nothing all that special.

I already have a pair of World Products windsor snr. heads..there are now better heads I know..but I own these and they're not a bad head...leastwise a heap better than the standard heads.

I've also got a new crane hyd rollor cam..I bought this some time ago for a 302 ..its not big but MIGHT just do the 377.

Its advertised duration is 276 intake 284 exhaust .. 533/555 lift...351 firing order...cant be reground tho.

Sooo..all in all I've got a heap of stuff which I'd like to use ..If not..I'd have to sell them off. Prefer to use what I already have tho.

Actually Craig, the thought of the 377 came from the (forget his name) fella you recommended as a good ford motor builder.

Pretty sure I'll be using him to do the job..just gettin my head together on the options.

Anyways guys...thanks loads for the info..much appreciated.

A Cobra is worth 2".......WOW..my wife will be pleased..given the winter weather and usual 2" loss..I now wont have a 1" hole in my gut.

Take care
Old 06-29-2003, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brutal and down right cruel....This OZcobra guy need to have a good look at himself...Where does he get off hanging all this crap on you poor Northern Australian types.

Utilising this wonderful forum to spread such cruel and unfounded remarks.

We are all just lucky to have such a fair and non-controversial forum member as myself. To keep these sort of outbursts under control.

750hp has enough trouble dealing with his "H/P vs penis size" issues. Lets not air his "cajewelys" problems for all to see.

Old 06-29-2003, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Jason,

Did I ask if you received my cheque for Wakefield Park - motel?

Even though I have been really pushing it I am not game - still - to enter for competition. I am ahead of time but still thinking I may just make it. Could have another 'Weekend at Bernie's" in Mt. Gambier to finish the car

I have just found that with the Victor Jnr. the float bowl top is level with the bonnet. So will need to go to a bigger scoop. Doug has a 65mm - bottom to centre top - but will need an extra 15mm approx.

This is with a recessed bottom on the filter base.

Approx 80mm. Any thoughts??

Must go cheers all:3DSMILE

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: