Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2003, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB - 302, T5, VN Rear
Not Ranked     
Question Wiper Placement - RHD

Hi all,

Can someone provide me with the exact location for the wiper wheelboxes in a right hand drive ? I need to know where to drill the holes

I have locatons for a 3 wiper system but will be fitting just the 2. I am using the standard lucas type setup.

Thanks
Dan
Old 12-13-2003, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush. Lexus quad cam V8, R154 Supra box. Oh what a feeling.
Not Ranked     

You need to take the plate of the wiper motor casing and find out what the degree marking is. They are stamped on the drive wheel. The markings could be 95, 100,105 etc.

Proud member of the Bclub Central Coast chapter
Old 12-14-2003, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1991 RMC 1966 427SC replica, 302 Cleveland, Edelbrock manifold with 600 Holley double pumper.
Not Ranked     

Dan,

This can be the most frustrating part of building your cobra!!!. Never fear there is plenty of experience with this one. I would suggest you contact Don Pilling (Snakebite) in Queensland ph no. 617 5529 0877 he was very helpfull with my wipers. He can send you a diagram with measurements. I have a diagram but very faded however the twin wiper position is 245mm from centre of body and 105mm from bonnet edge. I would still have a discussion with Don before you proceed.

You should also ensure you have 32 teeth wiper drives (Jag series 1) as they match the lucas degree mark on the cam (ie 105 125 deg). If you can get the fully adjustable Trico wiper arms to ensure you get the full sweep with 10" blades (Don has these, can also try Mini Minor spares places).

Your windscreen angle also has an influence on your sweep degree. ie the steeper the angle on the windscreen the shorter the sweep can be for twin wipers, I remember Don suggesting that 50 degrees windscreen angle gives a 125 degree sweep. You may have to play with a few cams at different degrees to get it right. ie get a few different cams from 95 - 125 degrees.

Let us know how you go.

Regards

Tony.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Dan.....I have a two wiper system and the wiper boxes are 220mm either side of center and 105mm from bonnet edge.

Tony is spot on with rest of info...all I can add is here is a site for details for changing the peg on the cam wheel in the wiper motor which then changes the angle of sweep..

http://www.erareplicas.com/427man/wiper/index.htm
Old 12-15-2003, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1991 RMC 1966 427SC replica, 302 Cleveland, Edelbrock manifold with 600 Holley double pumper.
Not Ranked     

Dan,

I went and measured my wheelbox positions yesterday. My wipers are set at 240mm from centre and 105 from bonnet (I bought the car already fitted with wipers). I had a few problems sorting out an over sweep when I bought the car. I still have a small problem with a small gap of 1/2" non swiped screen (position of wheel boxes too wide) and my windscreen is set a little steeper at 52deg. I dont know how your vehicle authorities view wiper sweep (VicRoads here like to see a high % windscreen sweep). After reading Les's note his position of 220mm would be spot on and would resolve my small gap issues unfortunately this will have to wait for a future rebuild !!!. Thanks Les! I will write that one down for the future!!! (Nice to see another RMC on the forum!!!)

One other engineering suggestion is if you cant get the right degree sweep cam I made an adjustable cam for the Lucas motor drive. Made life very easy as my wiper wheelboxes are not 32 teeth drives. Let me know if you want to know how to do this it is quite simple to make. (Can send a diagram).

Regards

Tony Cram
Old 12-15-2003, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

Hi Dan,

Just in case. Have you checked that 2 wipers will meet NZ's design rules?

I have been told that in Australia, Victoria, it is necessary to have 3 wipers to pass ADR testing as 2 wipers do not cover enough of the windscreen.

Cameron
Old 12-15-2003, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Cameron is spot on correct..the same situation with the three wipers exists in Queensland too...I should have mentioned it in my last post.

I also think it depends on the engineer doing the inspection, in that a few here have been accepted with two wipers because of the definition of swept area...ie. are you looking at the swept area of the WHOLE screen or just that portion in front of the driver.

A small point but worth investigating
Old 12-15-2003, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB - 302, T5, VN Rear
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies everyone, has been a big help. The engineer I checked with said it will be OK with 2 wipers. Cobra's in NZ are being passed with just the 2.

"Technically" though I have the feeling they do require the 3 - as Rebel said depends on the engineer doing the inspection.

I found this link in my hunts, looks like pretty good coverage to me with just the 2......

Wiper Coverage

More info from the same site....

Cheers,
Dan