Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-10-2004, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom, BF XR8 260kw, 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     
Default Which Kit.............

Ok I've read the forum. I believe my question is a little different to the others.

Ok. I'm young, and still at uni. Deferring next year to work.

I'm looking at buying a kit. The reason why I believe my question is different is:

1. Cost is a big factor. It has to be done to a budget.
2. I'm not after huge horses. Nat asperated, either a XR8 ford motor (GT 290??) or a Lexus 4Ltr.
3. IRS I can live without.
4. I'm very mechanical and good with my hands. I just finished by first full rebuild on an XP Panelvan. I am hoping the Cobra has no rust to be removed then i'll be happy....

I'm a Victorian, live in Melbourne. What I'm after is a daily driver (almost) so a hard top is a definate. It must be lockable and "safe". A rolling chassis is the ultimate (no mucking around) but I will/am happy to build one from nothing if it will save me 1000 bucks labour, as it'd just be a waste of money. I don't mind driving to get it, brissy and perth are destinations for the next big holiday anyway.....

Other questions include:

What are the normal processes getting a kit? What is the normal deposit? Is there a deposit? How long does it usually take (loosely) for the kit to be ready from the deposit stage to pickup?

Cheers and thanks,

Nathan Smith
Old 01-10-2004, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh yeah and whats the go with rego in Vic? What are the hoops, how much is the engeering report going to cost, what do Vicroads require??
Old 01-10-2004, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

whoops double post, see next reply.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Last edited by boxhead; 01-10-2004 at 08:49 PM..
Old 01-10-2004, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

If you are after a budget car with a hard top then maybe G Force cars in Perth might be your answer, useing the Toyota crown chassis.

There has been abit of discussion about this kit in here lately and the consensus seems to be that when it comes time to sell you will be at a definate disadvantage, I am not sure about in Vic but I did look at this kit about 6 years ago (I had a toyota crown in the shed) and Queensland regs said it would be reregisted as a rebodied toyota crown.
Here is a link to there site http://www.gforcesportscars.com.au/index.html

Another popular kit that can been done on a budget is the DRB kit useing LH torana as a donor, from what I know you can use the 308 engine if fitted with straight LPG.
I dont know if they offer a hard top though.
Here is a link to there site http://www.drbsportscars.com/

You could probably get 1 on the road and registered with out the shiney bits and useing an under car exhaust and LPG for a reasonable cost.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

Hi Nathan,

If its true about the G Force being registered as a rebodied Toyata then that might be a good way to go if you want it to be naturally aspirated.

Generally if you buy a kit car in 2004 then its a 2004 car and must meet all ADR's for a 2004 car. That means the only current option is Elec Fuel Injection.

I'm building a DRB. I met a guy who built one for $25,000 about 5 years ago. He used the standard torana diff [(did not rebuild it) Cobra's are so light you can get away with it]. He got a used motor (302) from either the US or Japan (cant remember). He did all the building himself. he reckons he sold it 2 years later for $45,000.

Personally I'm rebulding (or having rebuilt) everything so mine will cost me around $45,000. For example some one gave me an old LH torana. I had the diff rebuilt with 3.9 ratios, fine spline and limited slip for $1,000.

Originally I bugeted for $35,000

All those little $1,000 add up. If you want to drive it as a daily driver (as I do) then you will probably need to rebuild everything.

Admittedly I have used expensive lucas lights etc. You can save money bu using land rover lights etc. It just depends on how you want you car to look.

Hope this helps

Hey Boxhead......DRB have hard tops, I have one (the fit pretty well).

Regards

Cameron
Old 01-11-2004, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I wasnt sure if they offered a hard top, thought they may but wasnt sure.

The Vic roads regs and for that matter QLD regs may be different now regarding the rebodied toyota chassis (I was looking at that kit along time ago now)

I do believe (hope) to get away with building my car for approx $35,000 but that is useing alot of help and favours from people in the right industry.

When I say $35,000 that is to build it fairly basic, ie stock engine (which wont happen) standard intake (that will get changed soon after registration) maybe under car exhaust (change after rego) etc etc.

Lots of little things that bump the price (all the pretty things)

Cruising in 5th

Old 01-11-2004, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

Got mine engineered, registered and on the road for around $32000.
but it took another 15 to get it to what it is today.

This is what it looked like back in 1998/99:
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2004, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Jason, did you pass the testing with the side pipes working or did you have under car exhaust?

Cruising in 5th

Old 01-11-2004, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Any chance of pics of your car Cameron, I would like to see the hard top on with a side view shot if possable.

Cruising in 5th

Old 01-11-2004, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

No side pipes when going through reg.

To get the noise levels down I ran a twin 1 5/8in exhaust, with twin mufflers 2 hotdogs and 2 1/2 metres of chook wire stuffed up its bum.

Once registered I plumbed the exhaust in to the side pipes about a foot from the end.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think I know what you mean about plumbed the exhaust into the side pipes but do you have any under car shots so I can see what you mean?

Cruising in 5th

Old 01-11-2004, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hope this diagram's not to technical
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2004, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Jason, I think I know who did that drawing
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2004, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush. Lexus quad cam V8, R154 Supra box. Oh what a feeling.
Not Ranked     

Hi all.

Whilst on the subject, does anybody know the exact legalities of side pipes in NSW once the car is registered?

Proud member of the Bclub Central Coast chapter
Old 01-11-2004, 11:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know in Vic they are legal if you can get them out 700mm from the last opening door........ So illegal on a cobra. I'd assume NSW is similar as the reasoning for the Vic law is too stop people being gassed....

Cheers Nathan
Old 01-11-2004, 11:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok I'd almost settled on the DRB Holden, seems to fit my requirements most. Now that I know it has a hardtop available.... The g force is good, but I worry about the extra cost... for what seems to be little difference...

I'll 99.9999% definately be running LPG so what does the exhaust need to have to pass? Will a standard exhaust (no cat) suffice? Or does it still need the Cat?

Whats the eng ticket worth? Is it like $5000 or a grand?

Do you have to use a "cobra" screen? Whats the reason why it is $1000?

Thoughts?

Cheers
Nathan
Old 01-12-2004, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

Hi Boxhead,

Regarding pic of hard top.
I cant post pics because my connection is too slow but I can email it directly to you if you provide you email address.

Hey Nathan,

I have been informed by DRB that LPG motors will no longer pass ADR's (as of 2003). If you are purchasing a new kit the only option is Elec Fuel Injection. Which means you will need cats.

The car must pass drive by noise test 77 db (max)
stationary noise test 90 db (max)

I paid $1425 for my screen but it included the stainless steel mounting etc. Also if you order it with the kit, DRB installs it for you which saves a lot of hassle. Still yes its a lot of $ and I dont know why.

If you are going to get a hard top its also a good idea to order it with the kit as DRB will fit it for you.

Regards

Cameron
Old 01-12-2004, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would like to see that pic of your hard top on the car if I can, send to DAVID.RAWNSLEY@bigpond.com
Waiting to see now

Cruising in 5th

Old 01-12-2004, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Hi all

Jason you have since spent another $20,000 ( oh yeah $32,000)

Nathan

The 700mm past opening door - or is it 70mm.

Victoria State Police believe the exhaust cannot exit below opening door or window in Victoria.

Has anyone been grabbed/put off the road for having sidepipes in Victoria? I was stopped recently by highway guys who really know the law and I thought "hear goes" but they were just interested and a random breath test followed.

They said nothing about the exhaust pipes that were slowly burning their trousers as they looked into the engine bay.

Cheers

Bernie
Bernie Knight
Mt. Gambier South Australia

Suns out I'm drivingggggg
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 02-08-2004, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MMM 70 mm according to the ADR's. in regards to the hardtop photo, sevenohms@optusnet.com.au

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: