Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2004, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I was talking to the NT MVR today and asked about the gen III engines and he advised that if the engines are the same internally ie: same compression ratio same valves etc then he couldnt see there being a problem if the ecu was purchased after 2003 or the ecu has been reflashed by holden with curret software.

I checked the post office and my request for car build hasnt arrived yet.

Sitting here waiting and wondering.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by boxhead

I was talking to the NT MVR today and asked about the gen III engines and he advised that if the engines are the same internally ie: same compression ratio same valves etc then he couldnt see there being a problem if the ecu was purchased after 2003 or the ecu has been reflashed by holden with curret software.
That's pretty much what I thought the case would be. It shouldn'y be too hard to prove that the internals are the same by the casting numbers etc. My motor is a 98 vintage but has the same components at the current LS1s. The engineer I'm talking to does an emissions test as part of the report as well.

Cheers

Old 02-09-2004, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

Hi Guys
mine went threw in december last year with out a problem and it is a 2000 model my theory was not to talk to the RTA directly only to your engineer that way they never see the car or any casting numbers and the blue slip guy will never pic it up so only tell them what they want to no and never tell them any thing they dont ask directly.

Craig W
Old 02-10-2004, 12:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

I downloaded the Holden service manuals and checked them out compareing 2000 build engine (& engine number) and the same info regarding the 2003 engine.
They are identical inside so I think we should be ok.

Phil if you need any info or help regarding the technical specs for these engines let me know.

I should be asking soon who needs a receipt for an engine flash with latest software from Holden?

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I'll have a reciept for the latest GTS300 program thanks

I don't plan to run a MAF and the GTS runs MAFless so I have a precedent there. Add a set of GTS300 engine covers and no one will be the wiser.

Cheers

Old 02-10-2004, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     
Talking

Spent the morning with RTA people. They have granted me dispensation until end of February. So as long as I get engineering and blue slip on RTA desk by 27th Feb they will register it. Now its up to me.

They did however confirm that only engines from current model vehicles are acceptable ie compliance with ADR79.

Morale of story is get info (early in project) from engineer as they receive updates from RTA. Anyone else could have outdated info.

Regards,

Phil.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Hi Phil
all the best of luck for the 27th Feb.
They did however confirm that only engines from current model vehicles are acceptable ie compliance with ADR79.
I take it this applies in NSW. not sure about VIC i must look into it.
Mike says your car looks awesume, when can you post some pics?
well done
Leeroy.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Leeroy, Thanks for support. I think things are different in Vic for the time being. There are a couple of guys in Vic currently building CR Cobras with stroked 5 litres (5.7) hope they have done their homework.

I am wrapped in paint job on my Cobra. Will get phots on site soon.

Cant wait to be legal.

Regards,

Phil
Old 02-10-2004, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glad to hear the good news for you Phil.

I will keep my fingers crossed that ya get everything needed done by 27th of feb.

Maybe you could also ask why you cant use the 2001 engine (same inside as 2003) and use latest software from holden in ecu (since the ecu is what keeps the engine inside adr79 spec)

Dont ask any questions like that till after the vin is stamped on and all paper work is signed and dotted

P.S Sorry Mike I can give you a reciept for it but cant actually do it since we arent a HSV dealer (yet)

Cruising in 5th

Last edited by boxhead; 02-10-2004 at 07:53 PM..
Old 02-10-2004, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Good luck Phil on finishing your Cob by the 27th. Nice to know that the RTA can be "human beings" on occasion.

Cheers
Old 02-10-2004, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush. Lexus quad cam V8, R154 Supra box. Oh what a feeling.
Not Ranked     

You are so lucky and you are going to be very busy.
Let me know if I can help out in any way.
Brett

Proud member of the Bclub Central Coast chapter