Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2004, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default Aussie Mikes T56 conversion

Hey there Mike, I am not sure if your back from overseas yet but I guess you will see this when your online.

I went looking for the gearbox conversion you did but all the info and pics are gone, can you possably relist it all or email me the instructions and pics?

My email is david.rawnsley@bigpond.com

Also are you going to get a new fuel tank made to suit the VX pump and sender I will send you?
If you are then we may be able to get a better price if we buy 2.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi David,

I'll drop you an email.

I'm planning to fold up my own tank and get a pro to Tig weld the seams or if I can borrow a decent Tig then I'll weld it myself.

Phil Neal has had an alloy tank made for his and he's going to send a few pics through to me. The boot floor on my car is a bit higher then yours and his newer versions. I plan on using the extra room to help fit in the VX swirl pot and pump as I hear it's fairly tall. Phil is using a bosch motorsport pump and external rising rate regulator and I'm still tempted to go down this path too.

Cheers

Old 03-10-2004, 01:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

I realised that I may have to odify the boot floor in my kit to fit the VX pump and pick up etc.I am fairly certain that our chassis are similar around the fuel tank area so the tank should fit within the frame.

I will try to get to the post office tomorrow and send the VX stuff to you.

I got a quote to have braided Australian approved brake hoses made for my kit, the local brake shop makes the hoses and is certified to pass the ADR requirements, he quoted me $270.00 for all 4 hoses.

P.S I have some more pics in my gallery I added about a week ago.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

David,

Thats a good price for braided. I paid a fair bit more from Race Brakes. Just make sure the ends are compatable. RB didnt get it right so I had to modify and use copper washers. Worked out OK.

Upholstery , dash and windscreen should be in by mid next week. Then its the fuel tank and Iam almost ready to drive.

I saw a post of yours the other day about Gen 111 engine numbers but cant find it now. Is it the first two numbers or second two that show year of manufacture??

Thanks,

Phil
Old 03-10-2004, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The engine number will start with VF then the first 2 numbers are year of build
IE: VF00xxxxxxx is 2000 build
VF03xxxxxx is 2003.

Cruising in 5th

Old 03-10-2004, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks. That makes mine a 2001 build. Hope it was one of the good ones.

Phil
Old 03-10-2004, 11:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

Hi Boxhead
Why dont you just use the VN fuel tank that will fit straight into the chassis and use the in tank pump to feed a swirl pot which will then supply a high performance fuel pump like a bosh motorsport pump.
If you plan on doing some serious engine work or supercharging later on the VX fuel pump will not handle the fuel demand and you will have to upgrade your fuel system any way.

Just my 2c worth

Craig W
Old 03-11-2004, 12:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush. Lexus quad cam V8, R154 Supra box. Oh what a feeling.
Not Ranked     

Don't you need a certain amount of back pressure for the standard in tank pump to work properly. Filling an external swirl pot does not create any pressure. I would have thought that the standard pump will run too hard and end up burning out.

Proud member of the Bclub Central Coast chapter
Old 03-11-2004, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was thinking about useing the factory type fuel pump, pick up & swirl pot assy so that all is closer to factory standard and also there is only 1 fuel line running along the chassis rail.

Also useing the factory setup would mean that all fuel pressures are correct for the engine.

I also like the look of a aluminium drop style fuel tank under the bum.

Cruising in 5th

Old 03-11-2004, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

I have put a standard VN tank & pump in mine. After worrying if it was going to cope with motor I spoke to Ian at CR and he said the standard setup work's fine if you inc. a regulator. The standard one looks ok from the rear as I have sprayed it aluminium color, but l too like the look of the drop style from the rear. Might look at it after its in a going.

What have you guys thought/done about mounting battery in rear. Some hints/ideas would be appr.

Leeroy
Old 03-11-2004, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Leeroy,

I mounted my battery , Optima gel type, in centre under the seat belt support frame. I cut opening in floor, made up box and dropped battery in about 100 mm. Then made up cover that holds it all in place. saves alot of boot space and looks neat,plus puts weight (16kg for battery) right over diff. I will send you email picture if you like. What address should I use.

It was good to talk to you at the GP. Had a good time at Mikes place checking out his Cobra.

Regards,

Phil
Old 03-11-2004, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

Hi Phil
great idea on the battery mount and good weight dist. also, think I'll pinch that idea if you dont mind. GP was as always fun but next year I'm giving my Sunday ticket to a friend as its not a exciting as the lead up to the race. Yeh Mikes always good to throw ideas around with and has been a great help to me with mine. Still looking forward to seeing some pic's and would like to see your battery instal. My cars having the exhaust fitted for the last month as it keeps getting put on the back burner by the guy, so it is driving me crazy as you feel like you are on hold when you could be getting on with so much. When I get it back the body is then off to be prep. and undercoated with engine bay finish painted, then its lickerty split to try and get to Nationals.
Leeroy
Old 03-11-2004, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Leeroy,

What is it with exhaust pipe guys. My local shop had car for a month and got nothing done. Took is away for painting/rego, now its got to go back to make up headers. I am doing the side pipes and have basically copied Mikes style. I am persevering with the exhaust pipe guy for the headers as he does beautiful work and guarantees equal length for the primaries ( give or take an inch). I would really like it all finished by April (my birthday present). I will need personal email address from you so I can send photo as I cant ( not smart enough) manipulate photo size to post on CC.

I have gone for drop tank with external Bosch pump and internal swirl pot with baffles and non return valves between swirl pot and baffled sections. Also made tank narrower to get extra 100 mm crumple zone in front of and behind tank but still over 60 litre capacity. Photos soon.

Regards,

Phil
Old 03-11-2004, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Phil,
To reduce your pic sizes, just use MS paint (probably under accessories folder in the programs folder), open your pic, click image, click stretch & skew then reduce horizontal & verticle from 100% to say 30% in the stretch box. After that save it & check the file size. If its < 50kb you'll be able to upload it to CC. If not reduce it more.

Plenty of blokes (including myself) would really like to see that great idea with the battery of yours

I also think the problem with paint & exhaust shops is that they know yoou don't need your car back ASAP. So other work comes first - which is a pain in da A$$.

Cheers
Old 03-11-2004, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for advice. Lets see if it works for me.

Attached is picture of battery box out of car.In car shots later after the box is painted.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How 'bout this one Phil.
Attached Images

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 03-11-2004 at 04:33 PM..
Old 03-11-2004, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I want one
Old 03-11-2004, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And this one...
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2004, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Leeroy

I want one
Me too

Cheers

Old 03-11-2004, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil,

How much will the fabricator charge to make 2 of them for Leeroy and me?

Cheers