Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2004, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question How many women (partners) get a drive of the Cobra

The Vics well know that up until recently I was the only 'woman' who messed it with the boys in our club events. Although, the most proud was when I came runner up to a 10 second Monaro in the dial-in competition at Heathcote Park a couple of years ago.

At the National's there are only a handful of women that compete.

So my question is, why don't other women compete?

Secondly, does your partner drive the Cobra. I hear some guys saying the 'wife' isn't allowed to drive it...or that you guys do so much work to it they would be scared to drive it. What's up with that?

A few of you know a few years ago I 'crashed' the Cobra going too fast into a corner and took out the front end. Guys come up to me saying that Jason wouldn't be happy about this one. Of course, he came up concerned first about myself (hmmm or was he just saying that). Mind you I felt so guilty I practically gave him an open cheque book, so he took it off the road and dropped the seats, made mods to the scoop and painted it in 'our' favourite colours dodge-viper blue with candy apple stripes. No seriously despite the fact that Jason built it, the Cobra we have shared.

I hear some women have no interest in the Cobra's at all, ie. that the Cobra smells - exhaust, their hair gets messed up etc. Pretty sad for you guys I think.

Oh did I tell you we have a roof but it doesn't go on...go figger. But I know that Jase thinks what's the point of a convertible in having a roof...we just rug up more. Anyway you only get wet when you slow down or stop.

Last edited by Mrs. REPTYL; 03-20-2004 at 02:22 PM..
Old 03-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

My wife drives mine--it's "our" car. When we took a driving class in our SPF her times and top speed on the back straight were far better than mine

What can I say other than she is a better driver than me-----
And I'm not ashamed to admit it. She has the "touch"
Old 03-20-2004, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

My wife has driven our Cobra a couple of times, but not often as she doesn't fit too well. I'm 6'4", she's barely 5'2". Even with the seat slid all the way forward she ends up holding herself up via the steering wheel.

She has suggested that I replace the seats with seats with adjustable backs. I haven't found the time yet... (right!)

Who is John Galt?
Old 03-20-2004, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

1-No lighted make-up mirrors.?
2-Can't hear the cell phone ring.?
3-They are not automatics.?
4-Shoulder harnesses.?
5-Have laundery to do?
6-It is a two seater. No room for a wife and a girlfriend.

TURK
Old 03-20-2004, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sure, there is room for a wife and a girlfriend. I just can't imagine them wanting to ride together!

Who is John Galt?
Old 03-20-2004, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

G.R.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I am usually quicker than Jase at the drags...well by about .01 second. Just lucky I guess that we are also close to the same height. 5'10" verses 6'00".

Certainly on long trips it is an art to pack so little to fit in the boot. The choice I usually have to make is, "More clothes or the soft top". I take the room for my stuff since I know if we took the soft top he wouldn't put it on anyway.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 302 Windsor EFI
Not Ranked     

After slaving over a hot oven making sausage rolls, cakes, biscuits and soup for months on end feeding Terry, Rob and John while they were building the car, I was finally offered the opportunity to drive it home one day........about 500 metres from home. I didn't bother at the time and haven't been offered again!
Old 03-20-2004, 11:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well its good to hear from Mrs evlcob,standing up for the silent minority.
But lyn lets reflect on what you just said, it could have something to do with your cooking .
Old 03-21-2004, 12:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Hi all

PeteK

Have your trim guy/girl make a seat back out of soft foam and trim it to match. This then drops down behind her back moving her forward onto the base.

Obviously it is better if moulded into the same shape as the existing seat back.

Hey Bill,

Working in the garage, endless coffee, cake and homemade sausage rolls sounds good to me..

Lyn drop over, I'm pulling the Cobra apart for painting and you can drive anytime you want.

Cheers

Bernie

KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 03-21-2004, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Interesting thread Mrs Reptyl. Mrs NASSTY is helping out during the build & wants to drive her when finished; fine by me.

It's a pitty more gals aren't involved either with their partners cars or in the Vic Cobra Club.

Afterall, apart from making club meetings more interesting, who else is better than organising, cooking & telling us men when, how, why & to do stuff!!

Sometimes we men need more than snags & crownies

Cheers
Old 03-21-2004, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Glass, XR8 5.0L EFI, T5, XJS LSD Rear end.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up You Go Girls!

Interesting topic this one!

My hubby and I have only had OUR cobra for a short while. However since it is a JOINT project I have rewired the dash (a bit of an electronic expert), re upholstered the dash and crash pad in leather, made the matching leather boot cover, nearly finished the centre console, masked up car for undercoat paint and have done most of the internet research to find spare parts etc etc.

Hubby has been getting his hands dirty re building the motor and swearing and cursing when things dont fit or go right!!

We both drive our car the same amount of time - that was when it was running before the big BOOM!
I cant wait until its fully finished - hopefully this year
Does it show that I come from a "petrol head" family!

Regards
Lyn
Old 03-21-2004, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB COBRA, 302W, GT40 manifold, E303 cam, Trickflow alloy heads, supra gearbox, LSD, commodore brakes, Autronic computer. The car was modified by Doug Pearce
Send a message via ICQ to Alvin
Not Ranked     

kylie loves the car as much as l do.
She has already made appointments with her girl friends to go for a spin With out me
Half the battle has been won if your partner loves the car!!!!!!!!

akyong1@optusnet.com.au
Old 03-21-2004, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My wife is legally blind from birth and can not drvie. She was never interested in cars until she saw a Cobra. She fell in love at first sight. She pushed for us to get the car. She now loves cars and even watches "Speed Channel". She is not interested in sports, but loves good looking, powerful cars.

She notes that most women are not interested in things mechanical. She was attracted to the sheer beauty of the car. I made sure that we got the horsepower to live up to the promise of the beauty. She then fell in love with speed and performance. If she could drive, she would drive. Having experienced speed, I think that she would love to race. I note, however, that most women have other priorities.

I would like to see more women interested. I hope that men welcome women as partners in cars and speed. It is in the self-interest of men to make cars and speed women friendly. Men need to be more sensitive in encouraging women to love cars and speed.

We need more women to "mess up" with the boys and to put them in their place.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Genesis 427 S/O
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

The Cobra is as much her car as it is mine. I want her to be comfortable with the cars limits, so she can enjoy it. We'll get used to it slowly, and together. We want to tavel the California coast in the car.

slithering
Old 03-21-2004, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

PeteK - You should watch what you say - there's plenty of room for your wife and girlfriend to drive off in that car without you after the divorce.

Actually I think it's great that there are even this many women involved with the cars. I've yet to learn to drive a standard. Who knew that someday we'd own something that required using my left foot?? Alan has offered repeatedly to teach me. Usually it's after we've gone flying down the highway at 100 miles an hour. Not much for the confidence. I've been around the school parking lot a few times on Sunday afternoon. But since I'm the one who wrote the check for this baby I'm a little leary that I'll be the one to ding her up.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually the one that I have to work at keeping out of the Cobra is my 17 year old daughter. She's been wanting to drive the Cobra since she got her driver's license.

Bernie, shhhh... my wife will hear you and next thing I know I'll be without a Cobra! When she drives the car now we use a couple of pillows between her back and the seat. She also wants a high back seat to give support for her neck. (I say she needs a T-bird.)

Who is John Galt?
Old 03-21-2004, 11:06 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

even with the seat all the way forward on the track, I still got a "car pillow" from auto store. Helps a bit, and it's black. Has a piece of elastic to strap around the regular seat. Fits nicely behind the seat when not in use so it doesn't mess up the "look" of the cockpit. Still a bit tough to get to the clutch. the gas/brake reach is ok. must have left leg 2" shorter??!!

Gary was kind enough to install the track, before delivery. He's what, 6'5" or something??? not really.....

kristen

p.s. even on this glorious weekend, hubby hasn't driven it!!

I'm nervous for him to!
Old 03-22-2004, 01:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great to see other women involved.

Very impressive "lynmac" (Lyn). I could just picture it though if Jason and I both worked on the car we would probably end up in divorce...both too strong minded.

Mind you I have been dropping hints that I would like my "own" car, a hotrod, so we don't have to take two cars everywhere. No room for our daughter Porsha, in the Cobra.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Mrs. Reptyl

You may be pleased to know that pre 1949 Street Rods now have a special ammendment going through Parliment and Registration Offices.

You will be a able to build your Street Rod and get it registered.

This is an addition to the limited SR ( Special Registration ). So you can drive it each and every day.

See Australian Street Rodding magazine March 2004. Article by Publisher Larry O'Toole covers this. Has two 1932's on the front.

If you cannot get a copy I have it here. Or ring Larry at Graffiti Publications in Castlemaine Victoria.

They are talking Carby motors etc.

Can see a 1932 Ford coupe in the garage there??

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 03-22-2004, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

Bernie WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!!!!

If we can get one on the road for $5000 or get a sponsorship deal through MG MacDonalds then keep talkin'.
But I think ,
We could get special Vintage car reg on a BA Falcon by the time we get the spare cash together for a Hotrod.