Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2017, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

You should be making efforts to reduce your bump steer as much as possible - +/-1mm is what I aim for.

The numbers in the rest of this thread, whilst 'accepted' for compliance and registration are pretty average and should be worked on.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
I don't think I spent any time in the dirt last year did I? Going too slow obviously......or getting too old to remember.
must have been me Gav was thinking about :-)

I had to get the high pressure hose out when I got hoe to get the mud out from under my rear guard when I went off the fish hook - was pretty muddy off the track. :-)

Andy - looks great - I think I need to have a look a re-POR15ing mine as it looks a bit average - maybe when I get my new front paintwork done :-)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I reckon its something you only want to do once - hence I handed over to a guy to blast and coat the second time around. It was pretty reasonable cost wise ($250 including my quick jacks) and the finish is much better than por15 IMO.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Some more tinkering and measurements today.

Definitely no go on turning the pivot bolt around Mike, so got some half lock nuts - thanks for the tip. Heaps more room there now.

Took out the single 25mm spacer on the rack and got a bunch of 3mm washers to muck around with spacing the rack. I also took a measurement with the rack not spaced and the rod end on the top of the steering arm - result was as bad as it looked to the naked eye. Im probably running a bit more castor than standard now so again it might not be the same result for everyone, but worth taking a measurement if you have done this.

My question is which of the 2 lines (with the rack spaced 12mm and 15mm respectively is better. The ride height is around 240-250 on the x-axis in the graph. With the 12mm spacer I get <=1mm toe from 20mm drop to full bump, but at full droop it toes out to 9mm - this to me looks a little better than the 15mm spacer which has a lower maximum toe, but is not as flat around the ride height.

I dont think I can get much better unless I shorten the rack which isnt going to happen (power steering)

Old 04-03-2017, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Looks like I'll have to revisit my steering setup.

I've been looking at machining up some new radial mount calliper brackets for the jag uprights that also replace the steering arms. They would have the rod end mounted in double shear and allow it to be spaced up or down to tune out the bump steer.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

As far as bump steer is concerned........015" thousandth per 1" inch of travel is what you want......anything less then that is even better....

That goes for the front and rear......

Morris
ICCARS likes this.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
Some more tinkering and measurements today.

Definitely no go on turning the pivot bolt around Mike, so got some half lock nuts - thanks for the tip. Heaps more room there now.

Took out the single 25mm spacer on the rack and got a bunch of 3mm washers to muck around with spacing the rack. I also took a measurement with the rack not spaced and the rod end on the top of the steering arm - result was as bad as it looked to the naked eye. Im probably running a bit more castor than standard now so again it might not be the same result for everyone, but worth taking a measurement if you have done this.

My question is which of the 2 lines (with the rack spaced 12mm and 15mm respectively is better. The ride height is around 240-250 on the x-axis in the graph. With the 12mm spacer I get <=1mm toe from 20mm drop to full bump, but at full droop it toes out to 9mm - this to me looks a little better than the 15mm spacer which has a lower maximum toe, but is not as flat around the ride height.

I dont think I can get much better unless I shorten the rack which isnt going to happen (power steering)

I'm used to seeing these charts with the axis the other way around, as it gives you a neater representation of the vehicle arm movement as you would normally look at the front edge of the tyre.

Also, normally you put the 'ride height' at 0, bump as positive and droop as negative from there. This helps evaluate how much of your suspension movement you're using - let's face it, you're rarely at full bump or droop, more likely within +/-50mm.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G Force Cobra 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

My 2 cents.
It is always better to have the least amount of toe change in bump.
Bump is when the tyre has the most load.
Compared to droop (less load than ride height).
Toe change in bump will cause darting when hitting one wheel bumps.
Also the front to squirm under brakes.

Bender
Old 04-07-2017, 11:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All back together, did a quick fishing line wheel alignment (easier on a hoist) and took it for a spin today. Feels a lot better with the extra castor and urethane bushes, has a real go kart feel now and wheel centres much easier on the straight. Steering is maybe just a touch heavier - not sure how it would feel if you had a manual rack.

Final rack spacing I went for was the 12mm lower than stock, and a 10mm cone spacer with the rod end. I also machined the head of the bolt down to a chamfer to get enough misalignment clearance and meant I didn't need another spacer in there.

Last edited by Tenrocca; 04-07-2017 at 11:26 PM..
Old 04-07-2017, 11:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

you'll want to keep an eye on those rod ends for maintenance - they can get sloppy with only very small amounts of wear.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No worries, I've got the rubber boots to go on them. I found the boots on the tie rod ends would split pretty easily for some reason, so was replacing them pretty regularly.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rubber boots need to be full of clean grease or they'll end up full of water and dirt. Best just to keep a regular eye on them.
Tenrocca and muzzza like this.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G Force Cobra 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

The quality of the rod end is important too. Cheap rod ends have play in them when new. Industrial brass lining ones are a no go. NMB is a good brand. Available from local bearing shops. Silverline or Goldline are available from Eastern Raceparts. These are expensive but cost effective in the long run. All these three brands are used by the Supercar teams for ability to last.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
The quality of the rod end is important too. Cheap rod ends have play in them when new. Industrial brass lining ones are a no go. NMB is a good brand. Available from local bearing shops. Silverline or Goldline are available from Eastern Raceparts. These are expensive but cost effective in the long run. All these three brands are used by the Supercar teams for ability to last.
I must have had cheap ones to start with on my CR top front upper A-arm.

After 11,000K's there was a lot of play.

Got some new QA1 Rod-ends with (I think) Kevlar impregnation etc and done a further 20,000K's and no play at all. Modena I think had play from day one in the cheap ones. Cheers Gregg
Old 04-12-2017, 12:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

The cheapo QA1 rod ends had 0.5-1mm of slop in them, the kevlar ones are zero.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I used the McGill Motorsport UK Ultra High performance XF series (Chromoly Kevlar lined). Great company to buy from - quick cheap shipping too.

Metric Female Ultra High Performance | Rod Ends, Motorsport parts UK | McGill Motorsport

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: