Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2005, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     
Question Whos allowed to drive your cobra?

First born (9 yr old Lucy) has been sent away to The folks farm at Bathurst for a week whilst school holidays are on. She calls me last nite. "Dad, had my first diving lesson today" (out in the paddock in the ute). "Ill be able to drive the cobra now" (Shes excited as I am).

Firstly I have to build the thing, then I dont even know if Ill be able to drive it!! Not sure if the insurance will cover a 12 yr old (assuming 3 year build time).

Made me ask the question, just who do you let drive the cobra? Surely not the teenage daughter, and maybe only the missus (Mines a bloody lead foot).

Cheers.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Who's allowed to drive your Cobra (you ask)?

NOBODY......................period.

Everybody I know has a lead foot and I don't want the liability. Nothing worse than having something like "someone wrecked my car and got hurt" hanging over my head.

The wife? Ha! Ya right. I watch her drive her 540I sport w/ Dinan modifications (about 365rwhp).....(that used to be MY toy before the Cobra) like a bat out of hell. There's no way she will ever get behind the wheel of the Cobra. And you know what? She hasn't asked.
.......Probably due to a couple of the rides I've given her in it. She doesn't want any part of that car now!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2089
Not Ranked     

Me,myself and I.
Thats it.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter #28; 396 Cleveland stroker; more than 495 HP; TKO 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Terry is right on. Scare the he-- out of her.
don't trust anyone!!
gn
Old 01-12-2005, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley- smallblock grenade w/ the pin pulled
Not Ranked     

I'll let anyone sit in it but I once let my brother drive it around the block and he came back TWO MINUTES LATER with a pale face and a chunk missing from the front wheel rim, after that 'quick' lesson neither friend nor family. It's too bad because I used to enjoy swapping cars with friends and go for a cruise so we could see what our cars looked like driving down the road. Sometimes we would even race each other. Not anymore.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

everybody except Australians
Old 01-12-2005, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Good question,

No one drives my cobra except me. Although my brothers and friends have asked me to “drive it around the block”, I’ve always politely told them no. My concern is two-fold. First: the engine has 500 HP and the car only weighs 2500 pounds, hence it doesn’t take much to spin the tires, do doughnuts and scare the S..t out of anyone. Second: it is my car and no one has every driven any of my cars.

Badman

Badman

If you can't drink it, eat it, "kiss" it, spend it, or drive it fast...get rid of it!!!!
Old 01-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

I know we Americans jump in on ya'll's threads all the time, but hey, Bernie comes and visits ours....
So, to answer your question.....
My hubby was kind enough to provide the funds for my cool toy, but the one time he asked to drive it, I wouldn't let him! He would kill me or himself, and that would ruin all the fun....
He hasn't asked since.... I drive us everywhere we go...... If we're going out "nice", I'll drive in my tennies, then grab my "good" shoes out of the back! I can't drive in regular shoes!!

So, my kids won't drive it. My friends won't drive it. The only person I MIGHT let drive it is the guy I bought it from, and he drives it too easy! Treats it like it's made of glass, he does. Guess that's why it looked soooo gooood! Now it's a little "rougher" looking, but boy, it goes, and it goes good!

Kristen
Hi, Bernie!
added: I have come up with an "out" if someone asks, and that is that there are limitations by the insurance company, and no other drivers are allowed.

Last edited by hey,littlecobra; 01-12-2005 at 08:01 PM..
Old 01-12-2005, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Mrs NASSTY will as may a few select people who have either helped me during the build or who else have cobras and know how to respect them.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

My insurance company actually made me sign a form that stated I was not insured if I let any of my teenage kids drive it. I have allowed my 17 year old to drive it with me in the passenger seat with him, but he drives a 69 camaro that screams so he is accustomed to "unscheduled" lane changes when hitting the gears hard. These cars can and will get away from you in a second!
Old 01-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

just me , my mechanic frend and fellow seasoned cobra owners. bill.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

NASSTY says it best, if they will respect it they can drive it.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Aussie Mikes got a good chance if I can get the wiring all back together Why did I think neat wiring was important

Phil
Old 01-12-2005, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

"If it aint broke dont fix it"
Old 01-12-2005, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the Confidence vote Phil. I'll help out with you Chiropracter bills once the wiring is finished.

I've been fortunate enough to have been given a drive in a few peoples Cobras. I take the offer as a real compliment and I can honestly say that this is a decision people should't take lightly. I'm not doubting my own ability as a driver. I know my limits and drive to them but a Cobra is something else.

Even people familiar with driving these cars needs to treat each one with new respect. Their hand built nature and variations in design, performance levels, handling and braking characteristics mean any unfamiliar Cobra is a potentially dangerous to the unfamiliar driver.

So the few Cobras I've driven have been driven very carefully and I'm not game to give any of them a big dose of throttle*. This is someones pride and joy and I wouldn't like to be the one to damage it especially when I think of all the hard work that's gone into my own.

*foot note: even a small dose of throttle in Garrets 550 RWHP monster produces blistering performance and a loose sphincter. I just can't afford the underwear bills.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 01-12-2005 at 09:17 PM..
Old 01-12-2005, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, GenIII, LS6, 6 speed T56
Not Ranked     

I haven't even let my wife sit in it and make broom broom sounds yet!

However, while still in the build mode and considering she who must be obeyed often holds the purse strings I have not yet contemplated how to tell her that when finished - "NO WAY ON THIS EARTH"

SNKBTE
Old 01-12-2005, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

My father in law. I borrowed the money to buy it from him. I've offered to let him drive it twice. Both times he's declined. Come to think of it he hasn't gotten in it since the first ride I took him on

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 01-12-2005, 10:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1967 GT 350 #2264
Not Ranked     

I let my mechanic go around the block. Once. Wife swore she was going to drive it, but once she saw it and heard it, she has not even taken a ride! She did raise the life insurance policy though....! I am not big on risking my Toys with people who cannot immediately replace "my Broken one" with "their unbroken toy" that is worth as much as if not more than Mine!
Old 01-12-2005, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: The one leaving fat black marks
Not Ranked     

LOL - what an interesting thread...

My dad chucked me the keys to his at Wakefiled

He is a pretty cool old guy!! If he wasnt such a n00b and didnt turn the windscreen washers on at 130km/h in my car when I just spent 2.5 hours cleaning and polishing it, he'd be allowed to drive the mini

Todd
Old 01-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Only four other folks have driven my current Cobra.

Buckley

David Kirkham...who scared the assolute he!! out of me driving it up Squaw's Peak above Provo while he giggled his ass off. He has a sick side to him.

Tom Kirkham

Ken Christiansen, my local one-man pit crew who regularly drives Dick Smith's when he's working on it.

I think I would only let another Cobra owner ever drive it...too much to learn about these beasts to be doing it for the first time in my car.