Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2005, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectible 351 windsor bored and stroked tko tremec
Not Ranked     

theres only one person besides myself driving my car and thats my wife beccauseee she let me spend x amount of dollars to build it ) and if she wrecks it guess what ill build another one. just kidding she loves to drive it and im glad. thats why we built it to drive and enjoy it. Neil
Old 01-13-2005, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Back in the saddle
Not Ranked     

I drive it, my wife races it....

Seem's fair

Cameron
Old 01-13-2005, 05:45 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

I let three people drive it.....Me, Myself and I.

Part of it is "fit". I pulled the seat tracks out and bolted it to the floor to better accommodate my 6'3" height. Secondly, my insurance company won't allow it.

The other part is just sure, plain "Sorry, but I just can't trust someone else to let it get away from them." It's not like getting into my previous daily drivers (Z-28s, Corvettes, etc.). I let others drive those ALL THE TIME. Different feel, different coverage and less prone to really swap ends on you.

I do miss my wife driving the previous cars though. Something about a woman barking 2nd gear got me going....

-Dean
Old 01-13-2005, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, 302Windsor HO Stock
Not Ranked     

I'm not fussed about who drives mine as long they either have experience in a Cob or have respect for me & my stuff.

I offered it to anyone who wanted to drive it for a Kids with Cancer charity day that I couldn't attend recently (with the exception of one club member who continually breaks or smashes his own)

Basic rule is 'You break it, you bought it'

At the end of the day it is paint & fibreglass.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car & I'd be upset if I couldn't drive it because of someone else's stupidity but you always take a gamble on other peoples stupidity when you take it out of the garage.

As i've said many times (& I beleive some others should adopt this attitude) ;

"FU&% IT, It's insured"

Cheers
Batman
Old 01-13-2005, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Everyone !!! During the 2 1/2 years and right at 30,000 miles that I've been driving my Cobra the left front seat has seen almost 70 different drivers. Some with me on board and some solo. Many of the guys here in Tucson have driven my Cobra while they have been building theirs - what a thrill it is for them AND for me to watch them. MY twin grandsons first drove the Cobra at age 11, with either their father or myself on board. Almost all of our Tucson Cobras have manual transmissions and the guys wives are hesitant to drive them, they love to drive mine which has the automatic. They can experience the thrill that their husbands have and share the feelings. Are there people whom I won't let drive the Cobra - yes. Am I worried about another driver bringing my Cobra home in pieces - naaaaa. Do I give a through briefing about the Cobra before someone even starts the engine - you bet ! I do understand the feelings of others about not letting anyone else drive their Cobra. I'm having fun and want to share it. John
Old 01-13-2005, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I'll certainly owe a few people a drive of mine when it's finally on the road.

The more I think about it I reckon I'll be happy for friends to take the Cobra out for a run. This is the biggest and probably most expensive car project I've done to date but it's really not that different from any other car or bike project I've done, just on a bigger scale. I have a lot of pride in my work and I think it'll give me some satisfaction to share the experience of the finished product.

Most of my friends are into their toys. We regularly turn up at each others place with a new car or bike or whatever and toss the keys over and say "check this out".

What a good feeling it is when your friend is behind the wheel next to you saying "how cool is this!". Especially when you've said the same things when driving their project.

It's all part of having motorhead friends I guess.

Cheers

Old 01-14-2005, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Manufacturing,351 SVO stroker from Bennett Racing
Not Ranked     

The only person who has driven mine is me. My brother-in-law who helped me put the thing together and di a considerable amount of work has never asked to drive it. If he did I would not hesitate... I'll keep his 55 Chevy if he breaks it The mechanic that did maybe 2 hours of work on it thinks he is entitled to an extended drive in the car .... when monkey's fly out of my butt Half the stuff he said he was going to do we ended up doing because he did not show up. Offered to take him for a ride but not good enough for him. I guess I would let another cobra owner take it for a ride... No Sid you don't count yet!

J.A.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley- smallblock grenade w/ the pin pulled
Not Ranked     

My issue is not that I worry others will abuse my car, no one can abuse my car any worse than I already do. I just fear that they will kill themselves by their inexperience in driving such a lightweight short wheelbase qwirky fiberglass coffin on wheels.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by John-Tucson

Everyone !!! During the 2 1/2 years and right at 30,000 miles that I've been driving my Cobra the left front seat has seen almost 70 different drivers.
Oh, well if we're talking LEFT seat - dozens and dozens of people have been in my left seat
Old 01-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Purchased CSX3225 in 1968 for $4,995. Original 428 car but changed to 427 MR about 20 years ago.
Not Ranked     

When I purchased the car in 1968 I let my Dad take his boss around the block. I could hear the car all around the block with my dad feathering the throttle. Remember the car came with skinny tires that got almost no traction. His boss would not get back in the car with him. My dad also drove the car to work a few times. I let my sister drive the car one evening and she left at 6 pm. and drove all night and returned the car the next morning a 6 am. She put several hundred miles on the car that night. On another night she got a ticket doing 80 mph on an onramp. My wife drove the car to work a few times when her car was broke. She didn't like to drive my 52 Chevy which was the other choice at that time. One of my son's has driven the car several times. That same son peed in the seat when he was about 2, he's now 30. Until I replaced the seats last year the passenger seat had a few areas where the leather was hard as a rock because of this misshap.

One of my friends drove the car a total of a couple of feet. He stalled the car and we couldn't get it restarted (the starter failed). Shortly after that we moved and so he never got a chance to drive it again.

I tend to be a little more carefull since a guy drove the car and was so excited that when he stepped out of the car he forgot about the side pipes, when he got burned he fell back on the car and put a 1 inch deep dent in the rear fender.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

rms427, Thanks for the wonderful real life experiences ! AND Craig, the next time that you are here in the USA you are welcome to sit in any seat in my Cobra. Come and visit us in May in Reno at the Western States Cobra Bash. John
Old 01-15-2005, 11:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I let my husband drive mine

Well it is his, but since I financed a lot of it I consider it 'ours'.

I appreciate the hours and years it took to build, but at the end of the day it is still a car and should be enjoyed.

A few of the guys in the Vic Club are aware of the 'stack' I had several years ago and it was off the road for 6 months. However, Jason was more concerned about me than the car (well that's what he says). In hindsight it was a 'good' thing. I felt so guilty I gave him an open cheque book. While it was off the road he dropped the seats, changed the nose, the bonnet scoop, interior and paint. The ride is now much better.

More amazingly, after it was on the road he even let me drive it on the track. So I guess I drive it anywhere and everywhere, including by myself. I will never forget the smile on his face when I brought home a huge trophy from Heathcote Park Dragway in a DYO competition. I think the most important thing is, I respect it, respect 'my man', know what it can and can't do, and more importantly by now I know my limits in driving it. Doing a couple of advanced driving courses in it recently has certainly helped this awareness. But that only comes with driving it.

It is a pity (in Vic?) there are so many partners in the club that don't, or won't, drive the Cobra even for the thrill of the first time. I guess Jason and I are lucky that the Cobra is something we both enjoy...certainly helps 'him' when he wants to improve it.

I agree with 'tpiini' the greatest joy comes from sharing it...with your partner at least.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

John - thanks for the offer! Now, I need to be at the Kirkham Summit in Feb, the Reno event in May, the Spring Fling in June....

Maybe I should just move over there to live. It'd save a bit in airline fares !
Old 01-16-2005, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

Like many of you I have enjoyed the thrill of not only driving something you have built with love,care & attention but seeing the thrill it gives others to drive, I am always in the passengers seat though. Even my 76yr old dad has had it over the speed limit which is something he said he will never forget (me included) "Everyone should drive a Cobra one day"
Leeroy