Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2006, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Default When horsepower makes way for human power...

Yes, I am mad...

I raced my bike today in the local bike club for the very first time.

I raced in a bunch of 14 in my catagory over 30km... I was in third place in the last 500m. I managed to get past the rider in second but the leader was too far ahead...

We finished like this:

I am very happy with the results! Looking forward to the next!

Bernie.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 07-01-2006, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cold and a bit tired after the race!!
Old 07-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

Bernie,

Many moons ago as a young man, I raced my ten speed a bit. That old Raleigh Professional is still with me. Now many years & pounds later, I just ride for the exercise, but it's still a ton of fun. It's good to have a sport that you can continue to do as it's much easier on the knees than running. GREAT job for a 1st time effort. Now that you've gotten a little experience you'll be #1 next time.

It's sometimes hard for us here in the US to remember that it's the middle of the winter for you guys down under. Hope you didn't get too cold, but the great finish you had and the competition probably kept you warm. Was it a race or a timetrial?

I think that you are a Gashole also, so I heitate to ask if you are following the Tour de France. It should be interesting with no Lance Armstrong this year, and so many guys going out with the drug scandal. Kind of an open field this year. maybe it's time for an Australian like Cadel Evans to win.

By the way, your Cobra in your gallery looks real good.

Cheers!
Dave

Last edited by ROUSHAC; 07-01-2006 at 10:42 PM..
Old 07-01-2006, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Congratulations! What bike are you riding? Are those wheels Cosmics? ho do you like your setup? Any changes in mind?
Old 07-01-2006, 11:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave & Hyde...

The bike is a French brand - Gitane - model Mach 2300 - full carbon frame with Altegra componants. I have added Cosmic Mavic alloy rims, BBB carbon wing bars and tried a number of different seats to find a comfortable one that doesnt cut off circulation.... as for future changes, well maybe a few bits of Dura-ace if they pop up, or I might upgrade the bike all together - we will see. The bug has bitten

As for your question if I am following the Tour de France... is the pope a Catholic!?! Cadel Evans is a friend of mine and encouraged me to get involved in cycling. He purchased my Mustang back in 2001 after he got his contract with Team Mapei.

He is my favorite, but there will be some strong competition - there are a few US riders with a great chance. Floyd Landis, George Hincapie and Levi Liepheimer are all highly regarded and I will be surprised if at least 2 or three of them dont end up in the top 5.

The drug saga is huge, but there is still a huge talent pool to make the racing as exciting as any year. You hope that these riders have not had an unfair advantage as they have had some big wind over the years and it casts doubt over how long thy have been using the drugs if it is true.

For the sake of cycling, hopefully all is clear and they are free to ride next year!
Old 07-01-2006, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Holding in the gut......

Hey Bernie,

How many photo shoots did it take to get he pic just right

STIFFY
Old 07-02-2006, 12:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I didnt realise they were being taken... Todd was there with the camera! My gut has shrunk so much that I can spin the wheel around on the cobra without touching by guts now!!
Old 07-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bernie,

Gitane has been around a long time and make great bikes.

As to the seat, the angle of the seat is a bear to get right, but keep playing with it. Once you get it right, you won't believe what a difference it makes.

As to the doping scandal, I know what you mean about not knowing how long the "big Guns" have been doing it clouding their results over the years. It's sort of like when some folks here in NASCAR used small shots of nitrous puportedly only in practice and qualifying a number of years back. You had to always wonder about their results too.

The "gut shrinkage" is another advantage to riding. The only problem is that as you get more fit, you need longer or more difficult rides to maintain your level.

Keep having fun!!!

Cheers!
Dave
Old 07-02-2006, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Evans is right up there with the top riders & with the field being so open as it is after the events of a couple days ago he may place near or at the top. Good luck to him & all the competitors!

I have a mix if 105, Ultegra & dura ace components. The rear derailuer (ultegra) has been flawless for me but i switched out the front 105 for a Dura Ace. Miles better!!! As for the Cosmics, I run Zipp 404's but My neighbor has the Cosmics. We both swear by our wheels .

As far as seats are concerend...I switched my Bontrager seat out for the Specialized Toupe'. I think it is the type of seat you are speaking of & I have been really happy with it.

THis is my ride...

Last edited by *13*; 07-02-2006 at 12:47 PM..
Old 07-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Geez Hyde,

You guys are making me envious. My Raleigh Professional (Irish brazed Reynolds 531 frame) will be 32 years old next month. It's old and cranky, just like me, so we are a good pair.

Cheers!
Dave
Old 07-02-2006, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's all relative Carbon Fiber has changed everything in cycling, though, including aerodynamics, the ability to shape tubes & components with weight & aerodynamic benefits. It can get expensive quickly though. But we all know what thats all about On another note, there is a shop here locally that has a bunch of vintage racing bikes hanging from the rafters. Very evident that quality & style have been prominent in cycling for many decades. Great sport, not too unlike auto racing in many ways!
Old 07-02-2006, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR LS-1 GEN III 5.7L V8
Not Ranked     
Default Nice toy.

Nice Bernie,

I have a 12 month old full carbon TCR Euro and do triathlons (up to olympic distance). I replaced all the Campag gear and run full integra setup. I looovvve my new bike. You're right about carbon. My previous ride was a chrome alloy TCR 2 - getting on the new one is like somone removed 20lbs of lead wieghts - and it's stiff as - I;'m a biggish bloke and I use to stress the frame of my old beast - with this one my biggest problem is getting the power to the ground.

Good to see another lunatic getting out there amongst the traffic. Riding around Sydney is "entertaining" to say the least, but excellent fun.

I've not done any Crit's, but a Canadian mate of mine (sometimes rides in Brisbane with a morning) gorup, has been trying to talk me into it.

Bring on the Tour ! At last something to watch other than "netball with no arms".

cheers

Pete
Old 07-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Way to go Burnie!
I'm a big hairy legged MTB'er but I ride road as well and love all of it. My family and I have been stacking on quite a few miles the last few months and as you know those miles will show any weakness in your set up. I now have my first Ti bike and have completed my first ever metric century with my 13 y/o son (he's getting fast!). After that ride, a revision of my wife's saddle was mandatory and much sought after for my son and I as well! I've tried quite a few saddles and untill this latest one, the Selle Italia Flight Gels had been the best. But on this ride our dangly bits told us that 30k on a MTB is quite different from 100k on a road bike. Much more saddle contact for a much longer time! So in defferance to our nether regions I switched my wife's saddle out for a Selle SMP Strike. http://www.sellesmp.com/en/default.htm I picked up a low line model off of ebay just to try it out and no kidding they work! http://cgi.ebay.com/SELLE-SMP-TRK-sa...QQcmdZViewItem Now I have them on all of our road bikes and will be experimenting with the MTBs as well. One of my various jobs is performing firearms instructor duties for our Police Bicycle Training Program and I'm trying to get our guys to try these puppies out as well.
Cograts again man, Steve
Old 07-02-2006, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302 windsor, trickflow heads, gt 40 intake, 65 mm throttle body, autronic computer, custom headers, glimer drive , toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Bernie

Looking way too fit Where did you race Geelong I'll have to come down
Old 07-02-2006, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

Think somebody should be drug testing Bernie

Looking very fit there Bernie, didn't recognise you the other week when you saddled up to me in the ute coming back form Barry's bike shop.

You are an inspiration to us all.

Leeroy
Old 07-02-2006, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewey
Nice Bernie,

I have a 12 month old full carbon TCR Euro and do triathlons (up to olympic distance). I replaced all the Campag gear and run full integra setup. I looovvve my new bike. You're right about carbon. My previous ride was a chrome alloy TCR 2 - getting on the new one is like somone removed 20lbs of lead wieghts - and it's stiff as - I;'m a biggish bloke and I use to stress the frame of my old beast - with this one my biggest problem is getting the power to the ground.

Good to see another lunatic getting out there amongst the traffic. Riding around Sydney is "entertaining" to say the least, but excellent fun.

I've not done any Crit's, but a Canadian mate of mine (sometimes rides in Brisbane with a morning) gorup, has been trying to talk me into it.

Bring on the Tour ! At last something to watch other than "netball with no arms".

cheers

Pete
I was very intrigued by the strike. A friend has one & likes it. The one i wanted was a bit rich for my taste & the toupe is working out well. But as the salesman said...He doesn't recomend saddles because everyone's anatomy is different.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Roushac,

Hi mate,

Yes, it was a race with groups setting off at 3 minute intervals to avoid congestion on corners particularly around the corners heading back to the finish line. A mix of hills and flat runs into the wind..

We ran at 35 - 40km/h average (20 -25mph roughly) with strong headwinds and some rain. I basically let a rider get away as I thought the bunch was turning over and he attacked and left me caught inside.

I managed to get out and attempted to chase him down, but did not have the legs. We finished at 63km/h ( roughly 35mph) and I did not have the ability to lift that extra.

Yes cadel is a favorite and his web site has my old '66 Mustang on it - from my gallery. Check out the 'real cadel" and hit the hamburgers on his barbeque.

www.cadel.com.au

Take care

Bernie
Old 07-03-2006, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

*13*

Thanks for the comments there. Great to see other people on bikes as well..

Yes the whells are Cosmics. They are an older aluminium set that I acquired. I usually use a set of Dura Ace - Shimano cassette. The Gitane with the Ultegra groupset was my first choice and I will upgrade as I want to some of the Dura Ace gear as I go.

.. bet all the Cobra guys are wondering about this bike ling/language..

Checked out your gallery there. Are the photos of the Street Rods from Crystal Cove? I enjoyed heading down there to see the cars on a Saturday.

We stay up at HB with some friends there.

Bernie

Last edited by BMK; 07-03-2006 at 05:28 AM..
Old 07-03-2006, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stiffy

Mate. The new me. Started off with the visit to the Doctor.

'Well' he said after removing his finger from my ar*e..'you in good shape buddy but you could take 4 or 5 kgs off to be in great shape'.

OK, so 5 kgs is 11lbs. No problem. I told my bike friends what the deal was and the challenge was set. They set me up with the goods to do the riding, I had to get a bike.

To date - starting January 14th - I have lost 14.6kgs (a little over 32lbs).

Now the photo above, does not look good as I was trying to suck air in when it was taken - after just finishing the race.

But I feel a million dollars and I'm sleeping like a baby..'sleep for an hour and cry for an hour..

Feel good. Hope you recognise me when you see me next.

Now Barry is next on the fitness program..

Bernie
Old 07-03-2006, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hewey

Yes try the site for Cadel as I said above...

www.cadel.com.au

Yes, after the drugs scandal he must be a red hot favorite.....

Bernie