Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2006, 04:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: King Cobra, QLD - 347 windsor
Not Ranked     
Default RMC No. 15 lives in Darwin

Out of interest for other RMC owners I met a guy today that owns RMC no.15. He lives in Darwin also but hasn't driven his car for 5 years or so. Cleveland powered, jag suspension.

Nice looking car under the dust and cobwebs. I have tried a couple of times to upload a couple of photos for those interested.

Gotta love the rego number "COBRA".

Just an update with my King Cobra build, I should start rebuilding my stripped 289 which i recently brought. $500-00 bucks, ported and polished, stainless valves and doubled valve springs, forged pistons +040. It was built for the one and only Cannonball run. It's going to live in my cobra until I can afford to build my 331.

Enough waffle....will keep working at the photo uploads.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Hogster, seems there are a few coba up there.
Why is No. 15 stored away and unused?.

289's are great engines. Can often get more outta them than 302's.

Cheers
Old 11-05-2006, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Rebel

I think the owner has had a long term illness that he is finally getting over. He is in the process of refreshing the car with a plan to rebuild the engine, reupholster and a few other bits and pieces.

As for the 289, the old owner says it ran 10-14 hrs a day for the duration of the cannonball run and comfortably sat his 66 mustang on 120-140 miles an hour for the duration without missing a beat.

I am so looking forward to hearing it fire up

Regards
Hogster
Old 11-06-2006, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC 302 Windsor Supra 5 speed Jag Suspension
Not Ranked     
Default RMC build numbers

FYI,

If you want to trace the history of your car, the current owners of RMC still have the original book that was used to record the chassis numbers and original owners of most RMC Cobras.

RMC have recently put up a website too, there is link to an email contact on the home page.
http://www.replicamotorco.com.au/index.php

Ross
Old 11-06-2006, 04:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Default 289 - Short (stroke) & Sweet (with old video link)

Howdy Hogster

I also have the temporary 289. I think the 289 is great and a very willing performer.

[Regular readers can switch off now - repeat episode]

My 289 came with the kit but had been sitting (with the kit) for over 16 years by the time we (brother & I) got to it. We were looking at the engine in the chassis one day and I remarked the if we connected a few bits and pieces we could get her going.

hmmm...you know if we just....

Later that week I get a phone call - its the sound of an open pipe 289 and manic laughter - sounded great.

So I get back down to the brother's next weekend and he's found that after the big sit the carby had a lot of perished material He had to pull it apart and could only just rebuild it to run on the first 2 barrels - a visit to speed shop for rebuild kit came soon after but not before firing the 289 up again - it sounded even better in real life.

Several months, many thousand$ and a temporary permit later that 289 is chasing a BA XR8 up Arthurs seat

- the dude is sweating and pushes to the point of getting sideways, lots of smoke and fuss - but we're all over him 'like a cheap suit' and doing it easily.

So I guess/hope you'll have plenty of fun with that 'lil engine while you prepare for the 'real' one. Maybe I'll look at it like having to use a lower powered bike while on the 'L' & 'P' plates - keeps you alive while you get the skills (?).

To keep you inspired you can listen to my engine in the interim if you wish.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/lobelly/skinless1.AVI
http://members.optusnet.com.au/lobel...less_ride2.AVI

And dont forget to post some pics - there's not much out there for us ford guys lately

LoBelly

the engine in question

Last edited by LoBelly; 11-06-2006 at 04:53 AM..
Old 11-07-2006, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Lo-Belly I will add a some pics of the engine build soon. The old timer that sold it kept on telling me, "You will be surprised at this little engine, it goes like a cut cat, and will not let you down."

Thanks for your e-mail and links. I'll try and return the favour soon.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Replica Motor Company
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly View Post
Howdy Hogster

I also have the temporary 289. I think the 289 is great and a very willing performer.

[Regular readers can switch off now - repeat episode]

My 289 came with the kit but had been sitting (with the kit) for over 16 years by the time we (brother & I) got to it. We were looking at the engine in the chassis one day and I remarked the if we connected a few bits and pieces we could get her going.

hmmm...you know if we just....

Later that week I get a phone call - its the sound of an open pipe 289 and manic laughter - sounded great.

So I get back down to the brother's next weekend and he's found that after the big sit the carby had a lot of perished material He had to pull it apart and could only just rebuild it to run on the first 2 barrels - a visit to speed shop for rebuild kit came soon after but not before firing the 289 up again - it sounded even better in real life.

Several months, many thousand$ and a temporary permit later that 289 is chasing a BA XR8 up Arthurs seat

- the dude is sweating and pushes to the point of getting sideways, lots of smoke and fuss - but we're all over him 'like a cheap suit' and doing it easily.

So I guess/hope you'll have plenty of fun with that 'lil engine while you prepare for the 'real' one. Maybe I'll look at it like having to use a lower powered bike while on the 'L' & 'P' plates - keeps you alive while you get the skills (?).

To keep you inspired you can listen to my engine in the interim if you wish.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/lobelly/skinless1.AVI
http://members.optusnet.com.au/lobel...less_ride2.AVI

And dont forget to post some pics - there's not much out there for us ford guys lately

LoBelly

the engine in question
Is it possible to get more pictures of theRMC Ac Cobra chassis? Rx.Stanley Kilmore Victoria 0402713412
Old 12-01-2012, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

I purchased my RMC body / chassis kit in 2007. Here are a few pics of the chassis which I had laser measured and powder coated before starting the build.

Baz

Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the photos as my RMC AC Cobra did not come with a chassis
It is a basket case!.
My RMC started with a body less the hang on's and I am trying to configure how the chassis looks like.
From all accounts my RMC is a Series 1 which has as single stacker chassis as shown from the earlier photographs in this forum.
The chassis rails past the bulk head has to be straight!
The RMC chassis has similiar features to ERA and others.
The bends in the front section where the engine is situated is of particuliar interest as the photographs that I have in possession is not clear.
As shown in the powder coated chassis (it is assumed) that a LS1 had to be fitted lower into the chassis rails or else it would hit the bonnet.
Alot of cutting and shaping of the RHS had to be done!

Here is a intelligent question for you BAZ?

How much did the chassis stick past the sill?

When I scaled my pictures I get around 100mm.

This looks weird perhaps to cater for the side exhaust.

Last edited by justcobra; 12-02-2012 at 06:13 PM..
Old 12-02-2012, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

We chatted today on the phone.
One thing that came to mind after our phone call was the question as to whether your body is actually a series 1 or series 2.

The external body is actually the same between the two. The only thing that changed was the inner fiberglass tub.

The series 1 tub had only a small moulded recess for the single side chassis rail where as the series 2 had to cover the twin rails.

The twin rails when measured in the foot well area were about 240mm top to bottom. That means the inner tub had to have a deeper moulding to cover those side rails.

The fiberglass tub at that same point, measured 220mm deep to cover the side rails. Hense the approx 20-25mm of exposed chassis below the sill.

So measure the side of the inner tub moulding about half way between the door opening and the front of the footbox and if it measures about 220 mm then it is for a series 2 chassis.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
We chatted today on the phone.
One thing that came to mind after our phone call was the question as to whether your body is actually a series 1 or series 2.

The external body is actually the same between the two. The only thing that changed was the inner fiberglass tub.

The series 1 tub had only a small moulded recess for the single side chassis rail where as the series 2 had to cover the twin rails.

The twin rails when measured in the foot well area were about 240mm top to bottom. That means the inner tub had to have a deeper moulding to cover those side rails.

The fiberglass tub at that same point, measured 220mm deep to cover the side rails. Hense the approx 20-25mm of exposed chassis below the sill.

So measure the side of the inner tub moulding about half way between the door opening and the front of the footbox and if it measures about 220 mm then it is for a series 2 chassis.
Thanks for the intelligent discussion that I had with you this afternoon and now I believe that my RMC is a Series 2.

As you had indicated that the top stacker is a 50 x 50mm RHS and the bottom stacker is a 75 x50mm RHS configuration with a 25 mm overhang

Now if I measure from the top stacker to the lowest portion of the return in the sill I will come with the 220mm as mentioned..

In fact it is 223mm.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Then you will have to build a series 2 chassis a bit like Baz's but without the engine mount mods Baz had built to take the LS engine. Or a hybrid of the two.

The weight of the body is taken by the inner chassis rail alongside the tunnel, the flanges on the front inner guards bolt to the top rail and the rear of the body , inside the boot has two bolts each side which bolt to the rear chassis extension.

The under dash hoop also supports the body via three bolts into the hoop itself at the firewall inside the engine compartment and two bolts through the base of the under dash hoop into the top side rail on each side.

Hope I have described that so it can be understood.

Last edited by Rebel1; 12-02-2012 at 09:53 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the information.

At least you got my six photos and now we can communicate outside this forum if needed and it is confirmed that my RMC is a Series 2.

Construction of the chassis will be based on Baz's photographs with perhaps the exception of the modification performed to accommodate the LS1 which from all accounts was a torrid and expensive affair.

I will keep my lower stacker in line/pararel with the bottom edge of the sill avoiding th unsitely 25mm. overhang.

To avoid that problem I will take up the suggestion to modify the engine mounts ilo the chassis if a Corvette engine is to be fitted.

Fitting side pipes is perhaps period correct but is complex when it comes to Series 2 RMC. .

Fitting as standard underneath exhaust is perhaps the only to go to meet our engineering requirements and maintain reliability in engine management and performance,

Last edited by justcobra; 12-05-2012 at 01:07 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

RMC have a couple of chassis's on the shelf, why don't you ask them for a good price ?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

Apparently the G-Force chassis is close as well, just saying...
Old 12-05-2012, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttputt View Post
RMC have a couple of chassis's on the shelf, why don't you ask them for a good price ?
Interesting and I will give them a go.

I have sent a email to info@replicamotorcompany.com.au and once again no response was received.

It appears they are not HUNGRY!
Attached Images

Last edited by justcobra; 12-08-2012 at 01:48 PM..
Old 04-01-2016, 05:55 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC no 3
Not Ranked     

Hi i have no 3 RMC Cobra
Aussie Mike and Dimis like this.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra4 View Post
Hi i have no 3 RMC Cobra
Welcome to the forum cobra4.

Cheers

Old 04-01-2016, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra4 View Post
Hi i have no 3 RMC Cobra
Without pics, I don't believe you
Get that post count up and post some pics.
I want to see that beast!

Oh yes, welcome!
Old 04-01-2016, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Hi Cobra4.

Tell us more about it and you. Where are you? Is rmc3 running? Etc, etc.

If you write about 10 posts to answer these questions, you should be able to post a few pics at the end.