Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2007, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: King Cobra, QLD - 347 windsor
Not Ranked     
Default The real cost of parts from USA

I am after some experience based advice please.

Have just had a bit of a win and I'm ready to a buy gearbox, clutch, bell housing etc.
I want to buy a tko600, and the US price is way cheaper than in Oz.

Has anyone done a similar thing, and what did the gear cost landed here.

The build is always exciting in buying phase.

Thanks
Hogster
Old 05-13-2007, 11:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Do the math

HI Hogster,
I have just perchased a TKO600 from summit racing, expecting delivery any day now.

You will have to pay GST and associated customs and bull**** charges.

With the dollar as it is I am saving well over $500 on the best price I could get locally.

Phil
Old 05-13-2007, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I have some wheels arriving tomorrow - dont forget to factor in credit card foreign currency conversion. works in at around 2.5% on my card.

Make sure its marked as made in the USA. you will get a discount on duty. I had to send a statement to fedex this morning describing the good, and stating they were made in US from US sourced materials. Duty and gst (which you have to pay if total including shipping is over $1000) was going to be $419, and dropped to $269 after I sent the statement through, so from my working out duty dropped from 10% to 2.5% with the free trade stuff factored in. Also, and Im not sure about this, say its for a 1965 cobra. I got the impression from the customs broker guy at fedex that the rate was less for "old" car parts - someone else might be able to confirm this.

Cheers.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Having purchased and carried a number of items from Stateside, I believe the 1965 statement is accurate..
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 05-14-2007, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: King Cobra, QLD - 347 windsor
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.

I'm thinking that its a done deal.

Every $ i save I can spend on pretty things

Regards
Hogster
Old 05-14-2007, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

I mate of mine just flew a complete Top Doorslammer engine in for a total freight and admin cost of $1300. I thought that was very reasonable - especially if you're like most people who want their new goodies NOW!!!

Imagine opening the crate to reveal a shiny new billet THREE THOUSAND HORSEPOWER motor
Old 05-15-2007, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build
Not Ranked     

I've just imported a few million dollars worth of equipment from around the world for work and the deal there was,
Get a certificate of Origin USA from Manufacturer, must leave a US port, need a commercial invoice and pay GST (which you can reclaim if you or a friend get a business to buy it!!!), you can get them to write a commercial invoice for a lower value but that may affect insurance value and if you get caught your're up for a fine, Gotta love free trade, if they come from Canada it's 10% duty, although I'm not sure of the deal with second hand stuff.
We've been importing full 20ft containers for around $3-5k
Old 05-15-2007, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

What happens if someone in the US buys the part and then ships it to youAs if it were a birthday present? Hmmmmmmm
Old 05-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

According to a friend of mine who was familiar

'Unsolicited Gift' is a very useful phrase.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python
Not Ranked     

Mad Cobra;

I would like to know more about how you went about it.........I'm looking at a Keith Craft engine to bring in.
The more info I have, the happier I am.
03 9310 7757
Regards
Chris
Old 04-13-2010, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
Make sure its marked as made in the USA. you will get a discount on duty. I had to send a statement to fedex this morning describing the good, and stating they were made in US from US sourced materials.
Andrew, I've just ordered QA1 shocks/springs from the States and have requested that they mark the package as "Made in the USA". I don't suppose you still have a copy of the statement you sent to Fedex or remember the details? PM or email me if you like. Thanks.

Sambo
Old 04-13-2010, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
Duty and gst (which you have to pay if total including shipping is over $1000)
As I understand it....Duty payable is ONLY on Purchase price....NOT combined with shipping and handling...DUTY IS PAYABLE as stated on purchases of $1000 or more..and GST again is applied only to the duty value and on Australian services handling...

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 04-13-2010 at 11:42 PM..
Old 04-14-2010, 02:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

My tko600 was shipped by the slow boat method along with Mcleod clutch and output yoke for about $3000 goods and $200 all freight & tax costs.

If I recall rightly purchased at about $0.97 in the US dollar and shipped out at around $0.92. The distinction is that the exchange rate at time of departure from the US is the rate used for taxes etc. over here.

Have fun importing.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

I dont know when the exchange rate is calculated, but I do know that OZCOBRA is correct in that shipping costs are not calculated in the duty, it is purchase price only.

eg if you bought something for $xUSD which worked out to be $999AUD, and you paid the equivelant of another $500AUD in shipping, you are not liable for duty because your goods are not "worth" more than $1000AUD.

I had customs stop a shipment of mine at the calculated rate of $1250AUD and ask for duty - I produced (via email) an ebay receipt showing that the cost of the goods (without shipping) was around $950AUD and they said "thankyou very much no duty is payable, here you go."
Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was under the impression that we had a free trade agreement with the US and as such you only have to pay GST and a customs clearance fee....
Old 04-14-2010, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Towmaster, the key is proving that the parts were manufactured in the States. I'm relying on the kind people at Jegs scribbling on the box, "All parts manufactured in the United States" as my proof. Otherwise I need to somehow get a statement out of the manufacturer. As for the "1965 Cobra escape clause", that's anyone's guess. Perhaps I'll invite the customs man to my next shed day?
Old 04-15-2010, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

I usually buy all my bits from the States now. It's easier shopping on the summit site then going down to my local speed shop who is so over priced it's not funny.

It takes about a week to get here and I usually don't pay any fees.

This is what I have learn't .

1-Try and keep it under a $1000. If not you may still get away with it. I have had to pay duty and GST a few times.
2-Allways use USPS for freight and stay away from BAX. BAX will nail you everytime.
3-Never use a business name on the delivery form. If you're sending it to a Business address then just put your name on it.

If you stick to these easy steps you will not have any problems. I have
probably spent about 15k in the last 4 months.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just an FYI for those down under, The TKO's are Made in Mexico.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanycobra View Post
I usually buy all my bits from the States now. It's easier shopping on the summit site then going down to my local speed shop who is so over priced it's not funny.

It takes about a week to get here and I usually don't pay any fees.

This is what I have learn't .

1-Try and keep it under a $1000. If not you may still get away with it. I have had to pay duty and GST a few times.
2-Allways use USPS for freight and stay away from BAX. BAX will nail you everytime.
3-Never use a business name on the delivery form. If you're sending it to a Business address then just put your name on it.

If you stick to these easy steps you will not have any problems. I have
probably spent about 15k in the last 4 months.
Is it me or have the 'handling' charges risen ? I seem to be paying more for small stuff. I always use USPS it takes a little longer but 7 - 10 days isn't bad!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Makes sure you ask for USPS not UPS.

USPS is the United States Postal Service. Costs are a lot cheaper with the average post guy.

Watch Summit as they use FedEx or UPS and you can end up with a post and package bill worth more than the parts..
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026