Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2007, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

I think if I was letting someone drive mine (if I ever finish it), I'd just zap in a tune with heaps less timing..... that should reduce the chance of a power-induced bingle!!!

In years gone by, when transport companies were moving my EFI Torana from state to state, I'd set the limiter to a lowly 2500 rpm. It was enough revs to get it on and off the truck, but not enough to thrash it to death.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

I let my 17 year old daughter drive it but I was in the car with her, she did great and was so intimidated by the car she would not juice even a little. I would not let her take it alone. I can fix the car so that is no biggie I just do not want her to be hurt.
I did take her to a parking lot ( to be safer) and taught her how to power brake an automatic and felt it my duty to teach her what a Brodie is and the correct form. She is my only kid so have to pass it on to her.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plums
In years gone by, when transport companies were moving my EFI Torana from state to state, I'd set the limiter to a lowly 2500 rpm. It was enough revs to get it on and off the truck, but not enough to thrash it to death.
Plums - is it possible to have a "switch" like this added to the LSx engines? I've got a similar feature on my GTI's aftermarket software, operated through the indicator stalk. I imagine you can do it via a temporary re-flash but most of us don't have the luxury (or the know-how), plus it's not very convenient.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

I've let a bunch of people drive it but none of them needed to be told how to drive. My daughters know they could drive it if they want to (with me in the passenger seat) but haven't asked. My wife drove it once and said it wasn't as difficult as she expected.

Basically, if it's someone I know well and I know driving the car would be a big deal to them, I offer. It's probably a good beginner car because it's almost impossible to kill the motor when you let out the clutch...

A big part of my enjoyment of this car is sharing it with other people.

Lowell
Old 07-24-2007, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo
Plums - is it possible to have a "switch" like this added to the LSx engines? I've got a similar feature on my GTI's aftermarket software, operated through the indicator stalk. I imagine you can do it via a temporary re-flash but most of us don't have the luxury (or the know-how), plus it's not very convenient.
There's no real way of flicking a switch and changing tables in the LS1 PCM (or E series PCM's for that matter).

That said, I just thought of a neat way to have a reduced power setting through flicking a switch. My idea will basically reduce timing (set by me in the PCM and MAP referenced), when the switch is flicked. The more I think about this, the better my idea gets. The car would drive normally at low throttle settings, but as the throttle is opened wider more timing will be pulled. In fact, if you drove the car normally, ie. sedately, you wouldn't even know that anything was different.....

This could be great for any LS1 Cobra owners wishing to have a "tame switch" for what ever reason

I'll do some testing and report back this weekend.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

My 19 yr old son has learned the clutch on my car. It's a car to share but most are a bit intimidated and refuse when I offer to let them drive. I am particular who I would offer, believe me.

Before I had plates...(waiting for my SB100 opportunity) my son and I were out cruising a little bonzai run at night. He had literally driven 2 blocks while learning the clutch, a bit rough. We pull up to a 4 way stop sign and a sherriff pulls up at the same time going across the intersection. My son screeches the tires pretty good trying to be as smooth as he can to leave the intersection. I crap my pants, he without his wallet and me without plates or registration. Luckily we cruised on home without incident. I am completely legal now and still enjoy leting him drive. He is 21 now and serving in the US Navy stationed in Kuwait. I can't wait till he gets home.

I know as kids we would never forget the ride in a car like a Cobra. It use to be a great thrill just to have one next to you on the road. Share the unique experience with as many as you can!!!
John
Old 07-24-2007, 10:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Everybody, I have no problems with others driving my Cobra. Over the last five years i would guess that at least 200 different people have driven the Cobra. If I feel comfortable I'll let anyone drive it. My grandsons, twin boys, first drove it at age eleven. They are fourteen now and will drive it during August. Come on guys, this for most people is a once in a LIFE TIME oppurtunity. Sit in the passenger seat and grin from ear to ear as they drive your Cobra for a few miles. You will never forget their smiles and thanks, believe me, it is worth letting them drive your Cobra. John
Old 07-24-2007, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     

Nobody.
There is the threat of rain every *&^% day in Texas this summer.
Grrr!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCC
I have three boys, and not one has driven it.

Also, ground clearance is an issue and they could easily damage underneath driving over road humps or even into the driveway.
Hey PCC, were you in the school debating team? I only ask because I have seen your sons ute in your 'vertical right angle' driveway and if can get that low piece of machinary to your front door I reckon he could get your Cobra into the garage. Therefore either you gave him that excuse (Cobra to low) and you debated with him for 3 weeks on how he'll scratch your fuel tank, and won, or you just said Insurance doesn't cover him. Which one was it?

Old 07-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

The insurance makes it easy to say no. I have let my son drive it when I
was with him and he did fine. I may let someone else drive it if it feels
right but in 6 years I guess it hasn't felt right yet. I have given plenty of
rides and after that none have asked to drive it. Fancy that!
They did enjoy the ride - I think it was more than enough for them, as
most weren't big "car" people.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     

Okay - No debating

When they did ask, P$#s off was my response.

If they know its a definite no then they won't ask. If there is a hint of maybe, then they will take it!

I am more worried about the WRX as that has even more street cred with the kids i.e. all kids want a WRX

When they buy their own Aston or other drop dead gorgeous car I may then trade a drive.

I'll find a recent video of one my kids doing an over sized burnout and load it up. Then you will see why I do what I do.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCC

When they did ask, P$#s off was my response.
That's more the response I was looking for. Right out of The Manor Born handbook young chap.

P.s> I to was were never in the school debating team probably because my best response would have been P$#s off, you got NOTING!

P.s.s> You wait till someone from Club Cobra sees my driveway. The nationals will come to my driveway for the Hill Climb section.

Last edited by Blair; 07-24-2007 at 10:47 PM..
Old 07-25-2007, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

Who said its "only" a replica. Shame on you.

My insurance covers anyone who has 10+ years driving experience. However, I am still using the insurance excuse for my crazy er friends.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Just ask Steve Ringstad of the perils of trusting.

His was only finished a couple of months and let his mates son take it around the block unsupervised. The lads walked home after parking it in someones front retaining wall.