Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-23-2007, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival ls1 supercharged 6 speed
Not Ranked     
Default Noise polution

Just woundering if I heard the news today correctly are they bringing a new law to monitor noise polution on our roads like speed cameras and if you get caught a number of times you can be fined up to $33000 tell me I am wrong please.

Cheers from Greg
Old 09-23-2007, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 3205
Not Ranked     

Sorry Greg, but i have heard the same thing.
We better take it careful on the road and short shift alot !!!!
Although just about every Harley rider should also be worried.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Oh Dear

The fun Police out again. Fine looks very high.

Just have to be carefull.

phil
Old 09-23-2007, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Queensland Dept of transport has purchased several auto noise/camera units for unmanned roadside use.

Also been told the Department has received many objections from "qualified" labs that the standard is un-enforceable. Seems the standard is so low that intake noise is now a major contributing factor and legislation has no standards for intake noise to be factored from roadside testing.

Sign of the time folks.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The Sound of Life

I am not sure how this can work, when getting my car engineered a stone stuck in the tyres flung into the inner guard and that was a failed pass.

I can see a lot of "lab" time spendt on disputed fines.

I know this has been discussed many times before, but a typical cobra owner is not the rat bag type mucking arround causing concern. I know that I short shift arround and "rarely" go over the speed limit.

If only we could register our cars as rebodied 32 fords then we would enjoy the same freedom the Hotrod boys have

Phil
Old 09-23-2007, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Phil, The only way I can see it work is for the National cobra club to implement their own standards as did the hot rod fellas.

The Cobra can then be removed from ICV definition and policed by the State Cobra Clubs.

Being classed as an ICV is the crux of the problem, but I can't identify any other definition that can include the Cobra and the various exemptions we really require.

I have had discussions with a local engineer who was one of those instrumental in writing the hot rod manuals, procedures and standards.

What we now face is exactly what confronted them in the past.

Maybe on a national scale we need to increase membership fees with a view to paying " engineering consultants" to write a manual/standards. An edited version of the hot rod standards would be a good starting point.

Whilst many of us have taken the decision to use later compliant engines we still face the existing ( and gonna get worse) problem of noise, ground clearance, wipers, and other yet to be implimented safety ADR inclusions. (Air bags, ABS and Traction control etc.)
Old 09-23-2007, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Need to get serious

Les,
I know that the SA have been working on this issue for a while, it may take a contribution from all chapters to give this some momentum.

The point that bugs me is the issue of use, this year our Cobra has spent more time on stands than it has on its own wheels and in actually driving may have only done 500kms this year.

Common sence seams to be lost in this issue, I would like the 1/10 rule, we comply to one tenth of the rules as the cars are only used 1/10 of the time.

Yes my car is loud and yes its emissions could be better but the few times a month when it is on the street does it matter.

Phil
Old 09-23-2007, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Exactly my point Phil.

Most cobras are weekend toys. Very few are daily drivers. However, whilst we are classed as an ICV we are bound by current ADR's.

Dare I also say that most cobras are well tuned. Even the carby engines are well tuned and I'd guess clean as opposed to other carby clangers on the road.

Queensland Transport now says you can use any engine you like but you have to prove it complies. The problem is no testing station.

It is my argument that a stroked 351 Windsor, with aftermarket ECU, 4 barrel throttle body, bouncing off the O2 sensors on the highway would easily pass.....but how do you prove it?.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell BB 429 (Sold) Contemporary Cobra CCX3682
Not Ranked     
Default Hmmmmm........

Don't know what to say

If this becomes enforced where do we Cobraphiliacs go?

I, for one, would be a prime target, offender numero uno! Too low, Too loud, you name it.

Phil, like you I stick to the speed limit wherever possible, a "blip" every now and then will now be a thing of the past as you worry if one of these camera/noise monitors are close by.

A worry indeed.

Makes me angry!

Stef
Old 09-23-2007, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Noize!

Well time for me to chime in on this.. On the weekend I did some work on my car... As I was tinkering away I heard something interesting park in the side street off the cafe's. It was a very nice HOT ROD with a Wieland Supercharger stikcing up out of its air hole and running very load and live side pipes.... The thing was NOISY TUff and LEEEGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAL!

My little jap v8 the way it's set up is not...... Why??? Same road, same time but not the same REGO! Should I register it as a HOT rod so as I be like this guy or should I run the gauntlet everytime I go out on the street?

Sure he can't drive it as much as I can under his rules BUT as least he can do it without the worry of DOT running him off the road... Or maybe what he has was illegal too under the rodders guidelines..

I'm in the same boat as stef and PHil..... but if I had my car any other way I wouldn't like it!

Me thinks its time to build something new.............. Hmmmm

SpookyPT
Old 09-23-2007, 10:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you guys have it pretty tough up in QLD. What's happened in the past that gave them reason to introduce such tight monitoring of noise pollution?

On the topic of noise, check out the music coming from this HK Monaro! It starts 45 seconds into the clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwtiUK4PqFI

Old 09-23-2007, 11:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oi Sambo, wot ya mean "what's happened in Queensland"?.

The supplier of the noise/cameras has admitted large sales to Southern States. Tis all pretty hush/hush at the moment. Seems the Labour Premiers are helping Kevin Rudd by keeping some stuff under the carpets.

You know that ole saying " Coming to a theatre near you"
Old 09-23-2007, 11:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Les, you mean it's spreading like the cane toad?

Anyone got any news links?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Settle down, lads.
NSW is fairly festooned with roads to enjoy (largely not posted with 60km/h signs and traffic lights)and the chance of our little hobby being wiped in the near future is next to zero.
All of the above "maybe true" but it all remains heresay. If I am wrong, please refer me to the appropriate NSW Bill or RTA Press Release.
Look on the bright side. Most of you have registered cars. Go and enjoy them and stop fretting!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1 Ac Cobra
Just woundering if I heard the news today correctly are they bringing a new law to monitor noise polution on our roads like speed cameras and if you get caught a number of times you can be fined up to $33000 tell me I am wrong please.

Cheers from Greg
This was trialled in Vic about 7 yrs ago on the exit of F/Gully and the Sth Eastern and Failed ...DISMALLY
If you don't get caught by a speed camera now you won't get caught out by these ...they are open too gross inaccuracy's due to the uncontrolled environment they operate in.
Those who deserve to get put off the road will cop it when their time comes and will be assessed in a controlled area for measurement.
MY SOAP BOX ...OVER AND OUT
Old 09-24-2007, 02:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     

I thought the QLD Department of Transport were nice fellas?

The day is going to come when a 'Flash for Cash' ticket will come in the mail and not only will you be done for excessive speed (110kmhr in a 100 zone) but the picture will also prove your Cobra is to low, to loud and emits to many bad gasses!

I'll just smile and pay the fine and think to myself 'at least those bastardos didn't send me a fine for my racing (07) numbers'
Old 09-24-2007, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is some light reading for those interested.

http://www.acousticresearch.com.au/A...hure%201.1.pdf

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/no...oeonoise07.htm

http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/MRWEB/prod/CONTENT.NSF/0/9220b8ce438ba0244a2571db001e1fe6/$FILE/22.pdf

The following has info re the development of legislation in NSW.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/re...86noiseris.pdf

Cheers

Last edited by Rebel1; 09-24-2007 at 03:03 AM..
Old 09-24-2007, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Many of the SA Police have a hand held dB meter and when they are next to you at the lights or you are driving past they can point it in your direction.

One young guy in town here was put off for 96db - I saw the report it stated..

Vehicle defected due to excessive noise. Vehicle to be returned to the manaufacturers specification.

Mmmm as the ICV manufacturer...
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 09-24-2007 at 04:52 AM..
Old 09-24-2007, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Bernie

I'm betting that 89.2 was just at idle too!!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo
Sounds like you guys have it pretty tough up in QLD. What's happened in the past that gave them reason to introduce such tight monitoring of noise pollution?

On the topic of noise, check out the music coming from this HK Monaro! It starts 45 seconds into the clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwtiUK4PqFI

Having watched the You Tube show, you can sort of understand why NSW is bringing in these tough noise regs. These are the morons who do the same thing on our streets and I see it daily on the roundabout right outside my home. Funny,

I've never seen a Cobra driver behave in this manner on a public street. Why are we being tarred with the same brush? This is B.S. and we should be seeing our local State Pollies to voice our disapproval and fight for a noise exemption.

You don't see the enthusiast hot-rodder in his immaculate 40 model Tudor or 32 Three Window Coupe pushing out over 700 big ones going on like this either, but they seem to get away with side pipes, noise etc. as part of their rego.

Let's voice our concerns in unision and get that exemption which we so rightly deserve. Just ask Carroll.

Baz.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: