Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2007, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo
No worries Graeme. I will accept a crate motor as spotter's fee!
Crate is on the way. Motor on back order.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Back in the saddle
Not Ranked     

Here's another thought. Superformance. Comes as a complete roller and the guys at CTC will hook you up with a complied drive train of choice. You would have to contact Colin for details, but I am guessing with the Aussie $ on the high, prices may be in the high quality 'built for you' category.

In any case, Colin is a good bloke and will give you a straight answer.

www.cobtech.com.au

www.superformance.com

or check out my gallery for some pics.

Good Luck on the search.

Cameron
Old 11-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

If you are looking for a more complete set-up then I would suggest that you contact the local (to Australia) Superperformance dealer.

http://www.cobtech.com.au/
http://www.superformance.com/

They are amongst the best looking cars and have performed well at the recent ShelbyFest events I've seen.

I think these cars are likely to give you the highest base to work from.

I enjoyed the build process but if you dont have good facilities then it could be a real chore. Even with the facilities at hand I sometimes wished I just purchased one.

Also a note of caution - my first few meetings at club events I was warned several times by people who had been burned about non-delivery of cars/parts etc and unforfilled promises.

So do your research and sums properly.

Good luck

LoBelly
Old 11-18-2007, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What do they say Lobelly

"Great Minds..... etc"

I'll leave it to the bards on this board to contribute the alternate saying

Cameron
Old 11-18-2007, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Parsons
Here's another thought. Superformance. Comes as a complete roller and the guys at CTC will hook you up with a complied drive train of choice. You would have to contact Colin for details, but I am guessing with the Aussie $ on the high, prices may be in the high quality 'built for you' category.

In any case, Colin is a good bloke and will give you a straight answer.

www.cobtech.com.au

www.superformance.com

or check out my gallery for some pics.

Good Luck on the search.

Cameron
Thanks Cameron, very interesting especially, as you say, with the favouable exchange rate at the moment. I'll definitely add this option to my list.

Reading CTC's site, do I take it that you have a 351 Ford with Tremec 5 speed?

Cheers, Graeme
Old 11-18-2007, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly
If you are looking for a more complete set-up then I would suggest that you contact the local (to Australia) Superperformance dealer.

http://www.cobtech.com.au/
http://www.superformance.com/

They are amongst the best looking cars and have performed well at the recent ShelbyFest events I've seen.

I think these cars are likely to give you the highest base to work from.

I enjoyed the build process but if you dont have good facilities then it could be a real chore. Even with the facilities at hand I sometimes wished I just purchased one.

Also a note of caution - my first few meetings at club events I was warned several times by people who had been burned about non-delivery of cars/parts etc and unforfilled promises.

So do your research and sums properly.

Good luck

LoBelly
Thanks LoBelly. When you refer to non-delivery/unfulfilled promises, are you meaning in regard to Superperformance in particular?

Cheers, G.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I think Lobelly is refering to some other people in the industry. CTC have a very high degree of integrity and are keen supporters of Aussie Cobra enthusiasts. They have sponsored several of our events in the past and really love their Cobras.

I've done a bit of work on one of the Superformance Cobras they built for a Melbourne customer and the quality of fit and finish on these cars is second to none. Track manners and performance potential is also excellent and reflected in their results at the Nationals and Shelbyfest over the last few years.

Cheers

Old 11-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

No - not referring to Superformance

I have not heard any non-delivery stories or rumors or anything of that nature.

I have however been the 'beneficiary' of several tales of woe regarding actual vs. promised times for components/kits and a couple of stories concerning non-delivery.

If you hop on here and say 'I have cash and want a cobra built for me' you're likely to get several private messages helping you with your decision. This is why I'm telling you to do your research.

I have not met an unhappy Superformance owner - to be fair CR owners and those of other known brands seem to be drinking the coolaide too, so maybe the Cobra business is more stable than in the (not too distant) past.

LoBelly
Old 11-18-2007, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Graeme,

I have a Ford 347 (Stroked 302) with an 8TB injection setup, and Tremec 5 Speed. To be honest given another go, I would have chosen the 6 speed. Not for the gearing, but for the gear change. I have driven a few and they seem far smoother to me.

For me the 347 has plenty of PEP, It allows me to drive hard without having to be 'too' careful of giving it a bootful out of the corners.

It's all personal preference though. FYI I get mid 300's RWHP. I also run all the 'girly' stuff like Air Conditioning, Hardtop etc... etc...

Cameron
Old 11-18-2007, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

And with all that he still gets fastest lap at Shelbyfest this year

Cameron knows which way to turn a steering wheel.

Cheers

Old 11-19-2007, 01:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (AUS 09 or SPF 2792) - LS7 427ci
Not Ranked     

Hi Graeme,

I can also vouch for the crew at CTC and the Superformance product.

I was in the space you're currently in for about 5-6 months researching and deciding on what was the right option for me. I found the contributors to this forum an invaluable source of knowledge & experience and to be frank, a terrific bunch of guys willing to help a fellow enthusiast!

I'm now a confirmed addict of the forum and read every post...

If your experience is anything like mine, you'll find the whole process an incredibly personal and satisfying experience because you'll be essentially realising a life long dream!

I've ordered and am patiently waiting the arrival of my Superformance roller and I have found Colin, Shelly and Keith at CTC incredibly helpful, straight and willing to accommodate a few of my personal tastes/desires and objectives!

I'd definitiely consider them in your deliberations.

Regards......Paul
Old 11-19-2007, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly
No - not referring to Superformance

I have not heard any non-delivery stories or rumors or anything of that nature.

I have however been the 'beneficiary' of several tales of woe regarding actual vs. promised times for components/kits and a couple of stories concerning non-delivery.

If you hop on here and say 'I have cash and want a cobra built for me' you're likely to get several private messages helping you with your decision. This is why I'm telling you to do your research.
Thanks, mate. The thought had crossed my mind as a build-myself option to perhaps canvass a private assembler with facilities but, if I went that route, I'd be interviewing them like they were a potential employee, and I'd be doing reference checks myself on work completed, etc, the same way I'd be checking on any of the manufacturer/assemblers before signing a contract.

Quote:
I have not met an unhappy Superformance owner - to be fair CR owners and those of other known brands seem to be drinking the coolaide too, so maybe the Cobra business is more stable than in the (not too distant) past.

LoBelly
Yes, I note that people are speaking highly here of the CTC/SPR operation.

Cheers, G.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

[quote=LoBelly]If you are looking for a more complete set-up then I would suggest that you contact the local (to Australia) Superperformance dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidelberg
Hi Graeme,

I can also vouch for the crew at CTC and the Superformance product.

I was in the space you're currently in for about 5-6 months researching and deciding on what was the right option for me. I found the contributors to this forum an invaluable source of knowledge & experience and to be frank, a terrific bunch of guys willing to help a fellow enthusiast!

I'm now a confirmed addict of the forum and read every post...
I agree that this is a great forum, and I have been already impressed at the enthusiasm and of the membership to give considered feedback and suggestions.

Because I'm free to spend the time I'm hoping to complete my research in less than 5 to 6 months, although I acknowledge that there are lots of variables to consider and balance. I'm already starting a big spreadsheet of the combinations, issues, etc, which I hope will assist me to create a shortlist to zero in on.

Quote:
If your experience is anything like mine, you'll find the whole process an incredibly personal and satisfying experience because you'll be essentially realising a life long dream!

I've ordered and am patiently waiting the arrival of my Superformance roller and I have found Colin, Shelly and Keith at CTC incredibly helpful, straight and willing to accommodate a few of my personal tastes/desires and objectives!

I'd definitively consider them in your deliberations.

Regards......Paul
Yes, I definitely want this to be an enjoyable research and select process.

A couple of questions, if I may:

What was the lead time quoted to you by Superperformance between placement of order and delivery of the roller?

What was the lead time quoted to you by CTC between placement of order and delivery of the compliant Cobra?

Cheers, Graeme
Old 11-19-2007, 01:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Heidelberg,

welcome to the club!!

I look forward to seeing the finished product. I will be at CTC in mid Feb, will I catch a glimpse there??

Cameron
Old 11-19-2007, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Graeme,

I'd call CTC to get accurate delivery times as I was able to pick up one of a few Cobras that CTC had already ordered from the factory in South Africa and therefore did not get to discuss "normal delivery times".

I had been liaising with CTC for about 6 weeks including a visit to their showroom not too far outside of Melbourne before I confirmed my order by specifying colours, sidepipes, bumper bars, wheel size, dash layout, roll bars, and paying my deposit about 4 weeks ago and I'm expecting delivery end Jan/early Feb.

Regards......Paul
Old 11-19-2007, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi & thanks Cameron,

I'm hoping I'll have delivery of my roller in Perth by mid Feb!

When I was with Colin and Shelly at their new showroom about 5-6 weeks ago, they had a beautiful car in the showroom that looks a lot like your car from the photo's in your gallery....Is that your car?? If it is, it's a lovely car Cameron!

I know it's a bloody long way to come, but I'd really like to come East for one of the main Cobra events next year once my cobra's on the road...I've seen a few of the Perth guys express similar aspirations, so who knows, maybe we could russle up a few interested guys from the West to make the trek East next year!

Regards......Paul
Old 11-19-2007, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Hi there Paul, If the expected completion date is Feb why not leave it in Melbourne, fly over for the Shelby fest then have it trucked home to you in Perth?

Just a thought.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Paul,

yes that's my car. Colin keeps it for me while I am away. The showroom floor is the safest place for it to be, and they give it a run from time to time to keep it all going.

It's also a good jumping off point for ShelbyFest

Cameron
Old 11-19-2007, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidelberg
Graeme,

I'd call CTC to get accurate delivery times as I was able to pick up one of a few Cobras that CTC had already ordered from the factory in South Africa and therefore did not get to discuss "normal delivery times".

I had been liaising with CTC for about 6 weeks including a visit to their showroom not too far outside of Melbourne before I confirmed my order by specifying colours, sidepipes, bumper bars, wheel size, dash layout, roll bars, and paying my deposit about 4 weeks ago and I'm expecting delivery end Jan/early Feb.

Regards......Paul
Okay, thanks Paul!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmmm....When and where is the Shelby Fest held?