Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-09-2008, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Is anyone actually working with the Hot Rod guys?

The registration issue has long been a pain in the a$$ for everyone here in Australia. Many threads on here have mentioned that the Hot rod guys have their $hit together regarding registration.

Is anyone here actively talking to these guys and trying to put it to our authorities to make it easier for us as well, or are we all just waiting for someone else to do it.

I am not the most technically savvy guy around but i am quite willing to do the legwork and the phone calls and letters to whoever we need to talk to, so that we can get a break on getting these cars registered and have some sort of regularity between the different rego branches.

This 160km/h brake test is beyond belief, but maybe next time i get caught speeding i will say i was just preparing for a brake test!

As far as noise and pollution goes, im sure my diesel truck and bobcat make more of both every day than my Cobra would in a month!

If anyone is working on this or would like to start working on this, then please let me know.

Andy.

Anything is possible (if you can justify throwing bucket loads of money at it!).
Old 08-09-2008, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Andy l am a streetrodder and have been for over 40 years and i was on the T.A.C.working party in the beginning for 2 years and i was asked to leave because of conflict of intrest because we build streetrods as a job but the best think that has happened is S.R rego. i don,t think it is the VicRoads ithink it the ingineers that ask for unreal requests and that is the same for us rodders----Lindsay --- p.s i have a Cobra aswell but i still have a streetrod and thay are on SR rego and i think its great
Old 08-09-2008, 10:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Andy, there has been some initial work up here which involved corresponding with our authorities and I do know that John Staszynski in Adelaide was also working on it.

I don't know exactly where it is now but the general recommendation to us was that we were a small voice ( read small number of voters)and that we should increase our numbers ( read voting power) by inviting all other ICV type clubs to join the effort. (clubman, lo-cost, etc)

The hot rod guys are huge in numbers and because of this was able to make Ministers sit up and take notice. They also collectively had the technical abilities to produce some Manuals and systems which obviously were acceptable to the authorities.

John in Adelaide pursued an agenda of having the Cobra reclassified as something else other than an ICV. I've not heard where this philosophy has progressed or even if it is possible as I suspect a new classification would have to be invented and I doubt the authorities would be agreeable to this.

However, to answer your question....some work has already been undertaken but I don't know with what success.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Is it possible to register a "Cobra" as a street rod? I'm just thinking outside the square here - pay the street rod membership and enjoy all the exemptions and special arrangements that they do. ??
Old 08-09-2008, 11:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am sure that the other kit car builders are having the same problems as us and i am sure that we could boost our collective numbers by talking to the other groups.

I am quite willing to take this on but i dont want to step on anyones toes if there are already people working on it.

Lindsay, what restrictions do you have with the SR rego on your Cobra, and what did you have to go through to get it? Can you tell me more about the TAC working party and how far you were getting with them.

I am sure the big car companies have got something to do with making it harder for us with emissions etc, they figure that we are taking car sales off them if we build our own cars. Last time i checked, most Cobra owners have fairly new standard cars as well as a Cobra, so this isnt a valid point for them to be pushing at all.

Laws can be changed, it just needs a dedicated group to do something so the authorities sit up and take notice.(ie, the Hot Rodders).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Andy.

Anything is possible (if you can justify throwing bucket loads of money at it!).
Old 08-10-2008, 12:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

AC ANDY

Andy

The SR registration that McDonald - Lindsay, refers has often been referred to as Street Rod Registration - The 'SR' prefix.

In fact the SR does not stand for Street Rod but actually Special Registration.

It is a Victorian based registration process that is administered by the Australian Street Rod Federation - Victorian Branch. The A.S.R.F.R (Vic.) has a gentleman called Con Manzaris who administers the registration and issues plates, labels etc.. Con is based just east of Dandenong. Victoria. McDonald has his details.

Basically Street Rodders in Victoria liaise with Con from the outset and discussions take place regarding what you have or what you intend building. Basically comply to the A.S.R.F requests and Con registers you Street Rod.

As the Street Rod Federation has the scheme they have kept is pretty well to Street Rod registration. I know one or two Cobras have been registered on SR. McDonald has mentioned his green Cobra.

Additionally, there is a Club Permit situation in Victoria and I know of two or three I.C.V that have this registration. Owners may chime in here.

You need to be a member of a club that has this club permit scheme and they forward the paperwork for you after liaise with you.

Again, owners who have Club Permit registration may chime in here or PM you.

Doug P. knows all about the different registration options.

There is a limit to the amount of time you can use your vehicle on both Club Permit and SR registrations and some restrictions on taking your car interstate apply. I think it is a maximum of 90 or so days use per annum in Victoria, with a request to the club or Con Manzaris, whichever is applicable to issue some type of extension to travel interstate..

There is no limit to drive your vehicle for testing purpose or to have work done on the car...Mmmm..

I'm not sure how this is logged or if it is.

The big advantage appears to be that you can use any motor set up and basically get a Roadworthy Certificate and the club permit or SR registration follows.

There is some thinking that Club Permit type registration or SR registration makes a car less valuable. But my thinking is a Cobra with a 302/289 with Webbers would be far more valuable than one with a GM motor.

Mmmm now see what I have started..

Seriously, worth following up or thinking about. My latest information is that these types of registrations are 20% of normal registration and the insurance companies give you even a bigger discount as the vehicle sees limited club type use.

Regarding a joint submission, I think we need a S.E.M.A type organisation that has lots of Political clout. At this stage, most manufacturers are not interested as they are able to sell more than they can make. This may change when the new laws about to come in under Labour Minister P. Wong - Climate Change Minister.... just read her green paper, she is even blaming cows for climate change..

We will all be driving electric cars and singing "Midnight Oil songs"..Ohhh fu!k..

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 08-10-2008 at 12:31 AM..
Old 08-10-2008, 12:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Cobras are not able to qualify for street rod registration in Queensland.

A street rod by Queensland Transport definition:

Street Rods are motor vehicles with bodies and frames were manufactured before 1949 and that have been modified, or replicas thereof which have also been modified. These modified vehicles must comply with all the specifications contained in the Australian Street Rod Federation’s Queensland Street Rod Guidelines.

see here:

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/reso...icle_guide.pdf

Last edited by Rebel1; 08-10-2008 at 01:15 AM..
Old 08-10-2008, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Rebel1

That definition is one that the A.S.R.F (Victoria) falls back on here. The definition also includes new chassis rails and bodies.

So we are seeing lots of new Street Rods with even younger and younger enthusiasts getting involved. Hell their not doing drugs or wrecking things - you would think the powers would realise..

Hope all is good there mate.

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 08-10-2008 at 04:21 AM..
Old 08-10-2008, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

Bernie, Andy,

You both belong to a club that is registered to accept Club registration.
Michael Barber has put in many hard hours to see that the Vic Cobra club is able to offer this type of rego for their members.
Andy if you need more info on the club guidelines for Special Reg drop me a line.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

But but but uncle Bernie...what about the 1949 date thingy?.

It's dept of transport that's a pain...not the A.S.R.F.

Mate..things are great here...hows about yourself.

Cheers
Old 08-10-2008, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Jason, i would be definately interested in more info on the club rego, but what i was really trying to get at is why do we have to be grouped in with the big car builders for emissions tests etc, when it is just a small volume hobby. i just thought that there might be an easier way to get full reg for the Cobras.

Andy.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I have been and still am pursuing club rego in the NT as a way of being able to use my car whilst going through the engineering process.
Due to distance, I.e me being 1500kl's away from nearest engineer the process is going to take many many months.
I am now at the stage where I have approval from my engineer that he will use a second engineer (who visits from Adelaide approx every second month) as his eyes and ears during this process, so atleast I do not have to either fly engineer to Alice or take my car to him in Darwin.
I have spoken to and joined a local club that is registered to supply club rego plates in the NT.
At this point in time I have been advised that the regulations do not allow a replica vehicle to be on club plates.
I have asked the authorities for a copy of the act underlining this regulation, to which I have not had a reply yet.
The wording in the regulation advises what can be registered on club plates but does not specify that replica vehicles can not be registered on them.
I have been using the fact that the Vic authorities agree that a replica is ok for club plates.
The vehicle must be representitive of a 30 or more year old car to be on these plates.
I started to look at when the AC Ace was first built in England to see if I could sneak in on the pre 1949 clause for SR but fell a few years short.
If anyone has documented proof that they where around then, or that the same chassis was built by that time then that may be a way to get on the SR scheme.

I have just had a reply from the NT government regarding this and it appears the process is being reviewed with a chance it may be changed to allow ICV type vehicles in but at this point still no.

If anyone wants a copy of the email stream please pm me.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: