Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-22-2008, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force, Ford 5.4 SOHC 3v
Not Ranked     
Default What has happened to this Forum?

Over the last few weeks the forum seems to be bogged and going nowhere.
Every time I have clicked on there seems little or no change - has everybody gone somewhere else or have all the entertaining poster's given up?

I wonder if the Leyland P76 owners have a forum, or maybe I will try and find the '4 holed Mother of Pearl shirt button club', I am bored............

Harrymac.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

I expect some of the regular posters are flat out preparing for the Nationals. Myself included.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

All of the "colorful" posters like Back in Black, and Meat are gone. Hell even Evan is hiding.

________
Old 09-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraEd View Post
All of the "colorful" posters like Back in Black, and Meat are gone. Hell even Evan is hiding.

CobraEd..

This is a thread in the Australian Cobra Club Forum... I believe it was a local question, looking for local answers.

thanks
ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 09-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

It may be the Australian (bit of the) forum but we love visitors.
(So feel free to comment CobraEd)

I think that over winter the volume of converstation in this bit of the forum has wound down a bit.

Personally I find that it takes a bit of effort and self control to stop what I'm doing mid-mod to take the time for a photo or two to share with the folks here.

But I do it because I enjoy seeing others posts what they're up to and it adds to the general body of knowledge that's available on the forum for those considering a cobra or wrestling with their own cars.

Having made that effort I appreciate a comment or two - to know that people are interested - if this doesn't happen is there any point in posting in the first place? Having put your work out there to be ignored can leave you a bit flat.

On reflection I probably haven't posted so frequently recently when I've seen other's efforts displayed here. Which I guess I should address.

Ultimately - we'll get out of it what we put into it and it would be a shame to let this forum wither.

LoBelly
Old 09-22-2008, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Ok, I'll stick my neck out a little.

A few Aussies have become tired of the attitude from a moderator.

It is a sad fact that many Aussie folks who have been encouraged to post on this site have found the experience a little unsavory and no longer get involved.

The site needs strong moderators .... but some moderators need to understand the international nature of the site and display an unbiased position a some matters and comments.

I still post but nowhere near as often as I once did.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I haven't posted much lately. Work has been pretty hectic so I haven't got much to report on the car. I pop in for a read a few times a day but don't get time to post.

Cheers

Old 09-22-2008, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
Ok, I'll stick my neck out a little.

A few Aussies have become tired of the attitude from a moderator.

It is a sad fact that many Aussie folks who have been encouraged to post on this site have found the experience a little unsavory and no longer get involved.

The site needs strong moderators .... but some moderators need to understand the international nature of the site and display an unbiased position a some matters and comments.

I still post but nowhere near as often as I once did.
OK...as a foreigner here in a foreign land, with a HUGE affection for my former colonial brethren downunder (and don't ANY of you mention f***ing cricket...we ARE trying to get better, honestly...lol), I was dismayed to read this. There IS a tendency in The Lounge, for the more politically biased (sorry to the Republicans... ) Americans to get a little carried away at times, but just out of interest, can you be more specific as to what has discouraged you folks to participate? To what particular 'attitude' are you referring?

The international flavor of the site makes it kind of special, and it would be a shame to lose that!

Glyn (pet Brit)

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 09-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

I'm with Glyn
Quote:
The international flavor of the site makes it kind of special, and it would be a shame to lose that!
I too am a bit curious about the 'attitude'.

I recall a bit of argy-bargy a little while ago but you have to go back 15 pages to find a locked thread.

I doesnt seem too heavy handed to me (although maybe I'm not feeling it because I didn't have a particlar interest in any of the afore-mentioned stoushes)

Personally I'm very pleased that we have an excellent facility that gives us our own place while at the same time links us in with the larger worldwide Cobra community.

I think it would be better to address any issues real or perceived than to let this forum (our part of it) run down.

If it appears culturally unbalanced is it fair to look for a local moderator?
Would this be acceptable to the current guardians & owner?
Should we (Australians) just accept that we're visitors to a foreign site and that local rules and norms apply - Are we really that different?

LoBelly
Old 09-22-2008, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynMeek View Post

Glyn (pet Brit)
Actually Glyn, It is not only the International flavor that makes the site "special".

It is also the depth of knowledge, the history, the mechanical information, the gallery. It is very much the bible of all things cobra. Without any doubt, a tremendous resource to cobra minded folks and a credit to the founder.

My second sentence explains what has been discussed off site by some in Oz. I do find it very sad that many Oz members no longer post.

The question was asked and I responded with information which the moderators may find constructive.

I don't want to turn this into a public slanging match.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly View Post
I'm with Glyn

I too am a bit curious about the 'attitude'.

I think it would be better to address any issues real or perceived than to let this forum (our part of it) run down.

Should we (Australians) just accept that we're visitors to a foreign site and that local rules and norms apply - Are we really that different?

LoBelly
I totally agree .... but sadly LoBelly, it is not about us who still frequent the site that is the subject.

It is about those who have left, not to return, or appear to have not returned, or don't contribute as they did.

Last edited by Rebel1; 09-22-2008 at 08:02 PM..
Old 09-22-2008, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Guys..you're NOT visitors to a foreign site...to me, you are ALL colonials...Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, Indians...the list goes on...rofl...

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 09-22-2008, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glyn, that's what we all thought.

But really, do you have to lump us in with the kiwis and thank you for not mentioning the (GASP) poms.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
Glyn, that's what we all thought.

But really, do you have to lump us in with the kiwis and thank you for not mentioning the (GASP) poms.
LOL..problem is, I am a pom...(well, an ex-pom at least!!!!). God, I miss The Empire...

Last edited by GlynMeek; 09-22-2008 at 08:17 PM..
Old 09-22-2008, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Come to think of it we don't have many 'drop ins' from New Zealand! I guess they have their own Forum - or are they linked with ours? Could be good to have a Forum that had connections to both sites. As for our American colleagues, they are welcome anytime as far as I am concerned, provided that there is no public advocacy for a certain Governor from Alaska. Too cold up there for Cobras anyway!

I have found this Forum absolutely invaluable, as a builder, and hope to share whatever meagre expertise that I develop when I am finished (stage 1). Moderation/censorship? Well it is everywhere these days and it is always a cost/benefit balance between what is lost and what is gained. We are, however, getting ever closer to Sweden as the most 'politically correct' nation on earth.

Back to fitting my EFI!

Merv

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (AUS 09 or SPF 2792) - LS7 427ci
Not Ranked     

Well I for one love this site and love the contributions that everyone makes....I frequent it usually at least once a day and love to read the threads....The advice that I have personally received over the last 12 - 18 months has been invaluable and whilst sometimes I may not agree with someones views, there's nothing like seeing or thinking about things from as many perspectives as possible!

I've also met some really interesting and knowledgeable people after initially making contact with them on this site...There's nothing like sharing a few beers with people talking Cobras & cars with like minded people! I hope to repeat this when I get to meet a few more of the contributors to this site at the Nationals the weekend after next!

Regards....Paul
Old 09-22-2008, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi All
One thing I think the moderators/owners of this forum seem to have overlooked or forgotten is that they do not "own " the forum.

This forum is all of us, the contributors, and without us this forum would not exist.

It is a place we can come to to express our ideas and our experiences and to share with other like minded people our knowledge and gain knowledge from those who have gone before.

It is the fact that we can have a problem which can have 6 different ways to fix when viewed by 6 different people which makes these forums so valuable and the views and comments are equally valid for all.

In this day and age "political correctness" has gone too far and should be consigned to the little round filing bin.

In my day if a couple of mates had a dispute they went out the back, had a physical resolution, and went back inside and had a drink.

Problem solved.

Lets get back to the spirit of what matters and not let small mindedness deprive us of our goals.

Dimi
Old 09-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

LoBelly...you have a local moderator. Ron and I rarely come in here...only when we receive a Reported Post or a PM. We tend to sleep at least once an earthly rotation.

The Aussie Forum seems to be moving along as usual...we see ebbs and tides in all of the sub-forums at this site.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Dimi...what moderation are you folks talking about? I know I haven't been on here (the Aussie forum) for awhile, and I don't see where Ron has.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Jamo, who is the moderator for the Aussie section?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: