Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 04-22-2009, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
Mike---hows the dragster project???

Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Haven't got much further with it. I've been traveling a lot with work lately. I've just been collecting parts so far. I picked up an MSD Pro-Mag 12LT. It's the band clamp style mounting and I'm going to machine up a drive to run it straignt off the front of the cam on the LS1. That's the ignition system sorted at least.

I've been trying to work out which way to go with axles and hubs on this stainless steel 9" housing. I reckon I'll machine my own floaters but buy the drive flanges from Mark Williams or Moser

Cheers

Old 04-22-2009, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

I've got Strange Eng floaters under my pro stocker, like them a lot, Marks are pretty similar,Moser hasn't done as much as they have
Old 04-22-2009, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
I've got Strange Eng floaters under my pro stocker, like them a lot, Marks are pretty similar,Moser hasn't done as much as they have
I was checking out the Strange engineering Catalogue. They've got some nice stuff in there.

This housing has floater ends on it that I plan to re use when I shorten it but the bearing sizes are for Nascar floaters which seem to use a larger diameter inner bearing. It looks like it might be a standard size for NASCAR hubs. Moser do a lot of the Nascar stuff.

Most of the drag race axle floaters seem to use the same bearing for the inner and outer race. I'd use the NASCAR hubs but they use 31 spline axles a 5 on 5 bolt circle. This limits wheel choices and I'd like to use 35 or 40 spline axles.

I might have to make a bit of a hybrid setup with a drive flange to suit the larger axle and make a hub to fit the stepped housing end. It'll be a fun machining project.

Cheers

Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Neutral     

Sorry to hear the authorities down under down respect gear heads!

I just took delivery on a new Springfield Armory 45 cal semi-auto. Nice pistol!

Bye from the USA.

Dale McBain
Snohomish, WA USA
Old 04-22-2009, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm a keen shooter myself and own several firearms. I have to say though that I'm quite happy that Hand Guns are difficult to obtain down here. I'm also quite happy we don't have a gun carying culture.

I feel safer knowing that the vast majority of people in my society aren't armed as they go about their daily business.

Yes some criminals will have hand guns but only the serious ones and I have no contact with these people and no reason to. They aren't interested in me as I'm not a threat, customer or target. The petty criminal will have just as much difficulty as joe public finding a hand gun so will probbably be armed with a knife or other readily available weapon.

Cheers

Old 04-22-2009, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale McBain View Post
Sorry to hear the authorities down under down respect gear heads!

I just took delivery on a new Springfield Armory 45 cal semi-auto. Nice pistol!

Bye from the USA.

Dale McBain
Snohomish, WA USA
Hi there Dale, A lot of us down here think your a pack of gun toting looneys - so coming onto the Aussie side of the forum bosting about the new gun you got just makes you sound like a complete knob.

Just thought Id let you know to save you continuing on with your dribble (on a thread about sidepipes)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited by Tenrocca; 04-22-2009 at 09:18 PM..
Old 04-22-2009, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Ouch, but I always admire people that speak their mind!

Regards.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Hi Mike, I really like the brackets youve made to support your sidepipes. I wish I had seen them before making mine. I like them a lot!

Regards.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Mando. There's a ton of things I've seen over the years that have made me think "I wish I'd built mine that way". You can't go back and re-engineer everything though or you'll end up like me and never finish the thing.

Cheers

Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1993 G-Force Cobra, Ford Falcon V8 "Sold 1996"
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
Hi there Dale, A lot of us down here think your a pack of gun toting looneys - so coming onto the Aussie side of the forum bosting about the new gun you got just makes you sound like a complete knob.

Just thought Id let you know to save you continuing on with your dribble (on a thread about sidepipes)

Cheers
Andrew

I do not know about that. Look at the 1997 Gun Laws in the UK, Banned all guns and now they have more gun crime than ever.

The UK has bought in so many stupid laws to stop violent crimes and it has done nothing but put more restrictions on the law abiding public.

Criminals do not follow new laws, because if they did they not be classed as criminals. Lobby groups in the UK are now trying to get the 1997 Gun laws scrapped so people can own a gun to protect themselves for scum off the earth.

OK Back to Topic
Old 04-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Wink are we totally off topic yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
Hi there Dale, A lot of us down here think ...
(and some of us dont )

I thought Dale was just making a joke after the comment about no handguns in the glovebox.....

LB
Old 04-23-2009, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: King Cobra, QLD - 347 windsor
Not Ranked     

How about my mums new washing machine....(off topic)....lol

Hey Mando, I like the pipe mounts too, just quietly I'm gunna copy Mikes ideas and pretend I thought of them first............no one will know. That interchangeable insert for rego/cruising/track is a ripper.........
Old 04-24-2009, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Side pipes are becoming rare in Queensland! As are guns... our national stats (Aust Institute of Criminology) on hand gun use make convincing reading for gun control.

http://www.aic.gov.au/stats/crime/ke..._handguns.html

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1993 G-Force Cobra, Ford Falcon V8 "Sold 1996"
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
Side pipes are becoming rare in Queensland! As are guns... our national stats (Aust Institute of Criminology) on hand gun use make convincing reading for gun control.

http://www.aic.gov.au/stats/crime/ke..._handguns.html

Merv
99% of all Guns are ILLEGAL here in Japan except for over under shot gun for Government Approved Hunters, but they still have 4 murders a day and 33,000 Suicides a year. ... 90% of the Murders are by knife, 10% by other means …. You do not need a gun to kill yourself or others; you just need the will to do it.

The best way to control a population is first to disarm the population so they cannot put up any resistance.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

G'day Mike,
I'm a new member,nice set of sidepipes, whats the chance of getting a set for my ls1 powered Robnell ?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You know we are facing similiar problems here in the states at various race track events. One local "Hill Climb" I'd like to do this summer requires 95 DB, thats pretty darn quiet! Other tracks are around 103 DB, it varies.

SO, I contacted "Toms Motorsports" in California, they race, they been having this problem. They've tried all kinds of "things", it either takes away a LOT of horse power or builds up to much heat in the engine.

They are now using Spiral Turbo Baffles with great success! Limited horse power loss and ADJUSTABLE DB! http://www.spiralturbobaffles.com/index.html They also put a quick release out let tip on the end of the side pipes they can "turn", down,out, left, right, depending on where the sound reading is being taken at any given track.

I HAVE to get a handle on this sound issue, as everybody will eventually. I'm looking real hard at the Spiral Turbo stuff.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
I'm a keen shooter myself and own several firearms. I have to say though that I'm quite happy that Hand Guns are difficult to obtain down here. I'm also quite happy we don't have a gun carying culture.

I feel safer knowing that the vast majority of people in my society aren't armed as they go about their daily business.

Yes some criminals will have hand guns but only the serious ones and I have no contact with these people and no reason to. They aren't interested in me as I'm not a threat, customer or target. The petty criminal will have just as much difficulty as joe public finding a hand gun so will probbably be armed with a knife or other readily available weapon.

Cheers
I used to be a state champion in big bore long range rifle shooting. The bloody new gun laws made the sport impossible. Many clubs and rifle ranges have closed down. The rifle clubs were one of the most sociable organizations I was ever involved in. GOD I hope the government doesn't go as hard as they did to crush the shooting sport...on the auto sports.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
You know we are facing similiar problems here in the states at various race track events. One local "Hill Climb" I'd like to do this summer requires 95 DB, thats pretty darn quiet! Other tracks are around 103 DB, it varies.

SO, I contacted "Toms Motorsports" in California, they race, they been having this problem. They've tried all kinds of "things", it either takes away a LOT of horse power or builds up to much heat in the engine.

They are now using Spiral Turbo Baffles with great success! Limited horse power loss and ADJUSTABLE DB! http://www.spiralturbobaffles.com/index.html They also put a quick release out let tip on the end of the side pipes they can "turn", down,out, left, right, depending on where the sound reading is being taken at any given track.

I HAVE to get a handle on this sound issue, as everybody will eventually. I'm looking real hard at the Spiral Turbo stuff.
I'm curious as to what distance the Decibel measurements are taken in the US. Of all the US info I have read 90 odd decibels is OK. Here in OZ 92 decibels is the maximum legal reading at a distance of 20 inches 45 degrees from the exhaust exit at idle. There's no way the spiral turbo stuff or the car chemistry inserts would drop noise levels to a legal level even the classic chambered exhaust inserts are too loud. Most of the readings,that I have read about, are taken at 10 to 30 feet away in the US. Can you give me some sort of idea of the true 'legal' readings that meet the standard in the USA ?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On the QLD live side pipe issue, its not strictly the case that you cant have them, its just that you cant have them in anything manufactured after June 1988 as far as I can understand.

I have found myself very fortunate in that my car was built in April of that year so I am looking at them as an option. I'm not trying to build an accurate car so I'm mulling over some sort of drop in drop out pipe block that can divert to either the real thing for track/off road use or a separate muffled path under car that bypasses the main body of the side pipe and enters it only at the output end also forming the rear support. This is largely in recognition of the burns to the public issues raised earlier in the thread.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Andy, fit the live side pipes and run them like that, you will love the music in your ears At least I do

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: