Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 12:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     
Default Ford waterpump information

I was hoping someone could tell me which way water flows from a Ford 302 standard rotation waterpump out of the 2 water points that point to 10 o'clock when looking at the pump from the front of the car. Do they push or pull water through the water points or perhaps one pushes water out and the other sucks water in! Does anyone know positively.

Regards.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Mando I think this covers some of what you are after: Water Pumps

I fitted the standard rotation to the existing timing cover and it cools beautifully, as the Ford Racing guy said it would.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Hey Mando, a water pump draws water from the bottom of your radiator (cool) into the engine and pumps it out into the top (hot) of your radiator. doesn't matter which way the pump turns, its about the physics of the cooloing system. i.e; sucks from the bottom & blows into the top ! simple really
Rog246
Old 09-18-2009, 01:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Rog-- you are mistaken sir-- we have cars that come in every week where they have take na 5.0L with a serpentine system (reverse rotation pump) convert them to a V-Belt system and thereby drive the pump the =wrong- way and the car overheats.

Solution -- use the correct pump.

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 09-18-2009, 01:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rog246, it may be simple to you, but it still doesn't answer my question. Which way does the water flow though the 2 water jackets I described previously and is the water being pushed or pulled through each point?

Regards.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rog246, it may be simple to you, but it still doesn't answer my question. Which way does the water flow though the 2 water jackets I described previously and is the water being pushed or pulled through each point?

Regards.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

HI Mando,
I thought it pulls the water from the bottom of the radiator and pushes it into the two ports on the block.
The water then goes thru the block arround the cylinders and then up thru the heads and then out thru the front of the intake manifold to the top of the radiator.

I think?

Phil
Old 09-18-2009, 02:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB. Engine out :)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm View Post
HI Mando,
I thought it pulls the water from the bottom of the radiator and pushes it into the two ports on the block.
The water then goes thru the block arround the cylinders and then up thru the heads and then out thru the front of the intake manifold to the top of the radiator.

I think?

Phil
Well put MR Mizz, water exits both ports in towards the block
Old 09-18-2009, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

You're right PHILM but Mando wants to know about the two outlets on the pump for the heater or whatever. Mando...I am in the process of sorting this out on my new engine. I have an Edelbrock standard rotation Windsor water pump 8841. The main inlet is at the rhs bottom. I hooked the two small outlets to the heater/mixer on the LPG system and it worked fine until the thermostat opened. then flow then stopped and my mixer froze up. What I had to do was block the outlet pipe (the lower one ) and put a 'T' in one of the outlet pipes from the heads. That way the water is sucked from the 'T' connection at the head outlet through the heater/mixer then into the water pump (the top one) This also provides a pressure relief and water circuit when the thermostat is closed, therefore the pump doesn't cavitate.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Your right Rob, I'm interested in the two 3/4 inch outlets on the pump. If I'm right, the top one is a bypass for water to exit the motor into the waterpump until the thermostat opens. That means water is going into the waterpump under pressure. Which way is water flowing through the lower outlet? You can see what I'm trying to describe in the picture.

Regards.

Last edited by Mando; 09-18-2009 at 08:03 PM..
Old 09-18-2009, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

YUP ! If you look at the pump and it turns clockwise...the top one is sucking and the bottom one is pressurized. When I ran my engine with the bottom fitting plumbed into a bucket it started to fill that bucket mighty fast. I didn't have enough time or water to see what happens when the thermostat opens. I reckon when the thermostat opens all the pumps pressure goes through the engine and out to the radiator..larger flow path.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Just to be clear, do you want to know if water is being pumped out the Heater nipple in the block?

YES. The pump sucks the water and the heater nipple provides it.

Want to add cooling for the engine, put a heater core to the two lines and put the core in the path of air.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I did not see your pic. You have two nipple ports. I am not sure about that one. I have one in the block and one in the pump.

If you want to bypass them, a T'Bird rear heater hose from a mid 90s should fit over both. It is preformed and looks good.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Sorry Mando, like others I assumed you were asking about the other outlets on the water pump - the internal ones in my case. You meant the outlet for the heater and the connection to the thermostat housing.

On my 302 the top one of the two (standard rotation and pointing to 10 o'clock as you say) has a short hose to the base of the thermostat housing (water pickup I assume) and the lower one (water output I assume) is sealed off with a rubber cap, as I run no heater.

Anyway - others have already said this. You are sticking with the Gilmer?

Merv

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Rob, I think your right, but that only applies to the bottom outlet. The top outlet on the waterpump is connected by a short piece of hose to the outlet next to the thermostat housing which allows water to bypass the thermostat and into the waterpump until the thermostat opens. I hope I've got it right.

Regards.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

The nipples or ports on the top at the 10:00 O'clock position, depending on the casting or brand of pump being used are all on the "Low" (read unpressurized) side of the pump. This means regardless of whether you are using a serpentine or V belt pump water is drawn from the bottom of the radiator, forced into the the large openings in the block, (now presurized) in and around the cylinder bores, through the openings in the top of the block deck surface, (some manifolds also have a rear crossover to equalize pressure), then into the heads, then flowing to the front crossover and out through the thermostat housing, heater hose and or bypass hose and into the water pump ports and top radiator hose.
The serpentine belt arrangement and resulting reverse waterpump direction was necessary when designing the overall accesory drive packaging and to provide for enough contact with the back of the serpentine belt to drive the pump, AC compressor, power steeing pump etc. I think it also has the side benefit of less parasitic loss.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 09-20-2009, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Sorry Mando,

Answered the wrong question.