Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimeg View Post
Eric, By the way, can the cars electrical system handle JUST the bulbs or is the whole kit necessary?
You need the full kit that comes with the ballasts etc.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA Street #2122 , 302ci
Not Ranked     

Thanks Jay, I’m also considering a third brake light as there sure isn’t much light for traffic behind you to see. I not sure if I want to add a fixture to the rear deck. But if so this would be my selection; http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1803

I’m also considering about a three foot LED strip under the rear of the car which is obviously the easiest but not visable during the day. Or possibly a brake light fixture attached to a flat bent aluminum brace that would slide into the trunk between the seats at the top of the bulkhead and then fasten on the bulkhead in the trunk. Something like on a Jeep Wrangler set up behind the tire.
Any suggestions?

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Brothers..............
Old 01-01-2011, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#436 - 351W - 450HP / 429TQ
Not Ranked     

Have you upgraded your taillights to LEDs? That makes a huge difference, especially if you go with the flat style LED board vs. the round LED bulbs...
Old 01-01-2011, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No I haven't. I've been reluctant as I understood that some are not much better then a normal 12V bulb and it was a guessing game as to which one or brand would work brighter. Which ones did you get?

Old 01-01-2011, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some good info here - not sure if Jay still has any available: Backdraft LED Conversion Kits

The exact ones I have aren't available anymore, but these look like they may be the replacements: http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm - part number GEN-18-R-1157. It's a 1.80" Red Pigtail with 48 dual-intensity LEDS. They have a 5% off sale until tomorrow (1/2/2011).
Old 01-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

We have done the high end LEDs with great results. We also have a local customer we installed the light strip under the rear on the gas tank and it works really well at night.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jay, Which bulbs will fit without modifications or what do you suggest. Http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm

Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When I bought mine they were 1.85" - now they're 1.8". If I recall correctly, I believe I needed to make an ever so slight notch in 1 or both sides for the screws to clear.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimeg View Post
Jay, Which bulbs will fit without modifications or what do you suggest. Http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm
We are a distributor for these. Let me find out what size Brian is stocking and I will let you know.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

This jarred my memory... when we test these in 3W and 4W they worked just as well as the clusters and much easier install: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html
Old 01-01-2011, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #656 402 SR TW
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
We have done the high end LEDs with great results. We also have a local customer we installed the light strip under the rear on the gas tank and it works really well at night.
I've seen Gary's light in action... it even works during day. I came screaming up behind him on our first drive and realized right away he was on the brake cause of the LED, especially since it's below the body in a dark area. Not sure how it works in direct sun, but it got my attention.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoore2003 View Post
I've seen Gary's light in action... it even works during day. I came screaming up behind him on our first drive and realized right away he was on the brake cause of the LED, especially since it's below the body in a dark area. Not sure how it works in direct sun, but it got my attention.
That's good to know. It is a nice upgrade. I have to look at what we used.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
We are a distributor for these. Let me find out what size Brian is stocking and I will let you know.
Wish I had known that...spent almost $500 direct with them in the last month or so...

I think you need a page on your site listing who you're a distributor for...
Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t8stang View Post
Wish I had known that...spent almost $500 direct with them in the last month or so...

I think you need a page on your site listing who you're a distributor for...
We like their products to light under the dash and hood, but like that other discussion on the subject the plugins from SuperbrightLEDs turned out to be an easier option.

The online store never proved to be strong enough for us to keep at it. The reality is that everyone who is online shopping buys each component wherever it is the cheapest. If you are a dollar more you don't get the sale, in the end to sell a $100 order you end up spending a lot of time prepping etc. and get lucky if you see $10 after all the work. Not to mention if anything goes wrong with the part, order, or shipping... you're out completely.

Unless you are manufacturing the product or the only source for it... then it becomes worthwhile.

Now the parts counter in our new shop is another story, and we will have a lot more on that in the new year.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Integrity 351 Windsor - moderately modified.
Not Ranked     
Default HID Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
If you drive at night do yourself a favor, get H.I.D. headlights. One of the best upgrades you'll ever do.
What is involved in installing the HID Headlights and where do you purchase them.
John A.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #491, Red with Black Stripes, 438 Windsor by Keith Craft Racing dynoed at 640hp, Street and Race Prepped.
Not Ranked     

I stock the HID kits. ($185 plus shipping) They include the ballast for both lights, new housings, and the 6000k bulbs. It is the best upgrade I think you can do for these cars. The visibility at night is incredible. You will never use the high beams again.

These H4 bulbs have HID low beams, and regular halogen high beams. You'll never use the high beams again since the HIDs are so bright, but the high beams are there to pass inspections. They do not use both HIDs for low and high because they draw too much amperage and an entirely new harness with relay has to be installed.

They are relatively easy to install. Just take out your sealed beam light, cut a small hole in the light bucket for the new harness, and mount the new housing and HID bulb. Then you plug the ballast to the new harness and mount. It's about an hour job max and it's all plug and play.

We have used a few different ones out there, just be aware of some of the stuff on Ebay, some of them fail often. Let me know if I can help.

James
281-804-5730
Watch out! You may get BIT!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

I also purchased HIDs and they are a great upgrade. I ended up going with one that uses a mirror to switch from hi/low. Both use the same HID bulb so there is no warm up issue when switching, amps stay steady and not an issue. I went with 6000K, they seem to put the most light on the road. They are great for dark back roads and in city highway driving. I got mine here: http://www.shopxenon.com/vi_60.htm
I also upgraded my tail lights to the 1.8" cluster from customdynamics. I purchased 4 clusters and changed the turn signal only lens into brake and turn signal setup (it required a 1157 socket from BDR). This allows me to have four brake lights light up. I plan on installing a LED strip discretely on the roll bar. I like the idea of a LED bar in a dark area under the car but think something up high will get more attention of the SUVs that sit high up. I also plan on installing a fast blinking relay that will flash the LED a number of times before going steady. Something like one of these: http://www.customdynamics.com/signal..._modulator.htm

Last edited by Rwillia4; 01-13-2011 at 08:41 PM..