Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Run the numbers:

T5 and 3.46 rear gear come out to around 11.6 final drive ratio. A typical Cobra run's about a 9 final drive ratio. A lot, if not MOST Cobra owners and other folks running a T5 complain that 1st gear is basically "useless" because it's SO low!!! It's SO low, in fact, that some folks move up to a TKO JUST to address the ultra low 1st gear ratio of the T5!

My personal opinion is on an 11 or higher final drive ratio is it's a joke! It's cheap (as in expensive) as parts are readily available. It gives the impression of performance because it's very easy to spin the tires. Accelleration is brisk with this low ratio. Shelby did the same thing when there were complaints about the early 260-289 original Cobra's, he simply went to a lower rear gear ratio instead of raising the engine power. This improved the "responsiveness" of the car and satisfied the 0-60 mph crowd. It's a cheap way to gain the feeling of "performance", without actually doing anything to the motor.

...not saying that's what BDR is doing, just sayin', thats one approach to increase performance inexpensively. But at the risk of component failure depending on other options. Like slicks, increased torque/horse power, etc.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft#357, 392CI Ford Racing, 459hp, 455ft/lbs , TKO 500, 3.43 Gears, Ceramic Coated Headers, Victor Jr. 750cfm, 17in Halibrand wheels, Sterling Gray/Silver Stripes, Gray Leather, Nitto NT05
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Never claimed any superior knowledge
Really? "more BDR half shafts failures than ALL other replicas combined".

You tell Cashburn you want to have a discussion, yet an actual discussion of 0-60 times turned into BDR bashing for you.

As for your first statement in this thread, "If you can do 4 or under, that's when the BDR half shaft snaps.", now we can add that to the aforementioned list of errors that Cashburn pointed out. That's another fact.

Last edited by Jimbocobra; 02-06-2011 at 09:12 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

ernie gets the "talking out of his a$$" award for the day. you are more then welcome not to like BDR's but don't spread filth about things you don't know about.

ernie please list the posts of the vast collection of half-shafts failures. I know of one that was drag strip caused.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I won't bother to do a search to prove my point, you can take it or leave it or bury your head in the sand over it. In my opinion, if you DID do a thourough search I believe you would find more threads/posts about BDR half shaft failures than any other make. Possibly, more than ALL other half shaft failures combined! Perhaps, as Cashburn pointed out, "that was then, this is now", perhaps the problem has been addressed, maybe.

Again, in my opinion, the risk of component failure remains with ANY car that is running an 11 or higher final drive ratio, slicks and a bunch of horse power. FFR, same thing, a typical FFR might have a T5 and a 3.5 rear gear (in the 11's for final drive ratio). Excalibur employed the same technique, T5 and a 3.5 rear gear. Such a ratio gives even a mild or STOCK 302 a "feeling" of good power and at a low price point. You could say it's "good marketing".

It's obvious BDR recognized the problem, they upgraded their cars with stronger half shafts! Did that FIX the problem? Maybe, depends on the tires, the horse power, the launch, all that increases the risk, no matter what car you got, if your running IRS, it's at risk. Some IRS units, more so than others.

You'll find darn few 10 second (sub 4 second to 60) Cobra's running IRS of any kind.

I don't see where you guys get this as BDR bashing, I see it as a logical discussion of physics and simple mechanics involving torque!

Last edited by Excaliber; 02-06-2011 at 09:24 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
Dennis,

What I am talking about is on the thread" Buying first Roadster", All you cared about if it had a "loopy Sounding Idle".

Seems to me that you are purchasing this car to impress people not because you really like Cobras.

Guess I could be wrong and like I said, if I am, I apologize.

Edit: What ever the reason I hope you have fun and enjoy your Cobra.
tcrist

I'm very excited about my purchase, I would like to find out all that I can about this vehicle. and this forum has been super helpful.

I would really like to hear the reasons you have one, if it's off-topic PM me.

I actually asked myself am i getting this roadster to impress people, I can't really say no because this thing impresses me so much and I don't even have it in my possession yet.

Is showing the video of it to my friends and family and their excitement about me getting it really so bad ? I think it's wonderful and I am enjoying it and so are they.

I think competition comes into play with humans no matter what, Super Bowl Sunday :-)

I just try to keep it in perspective, I truly am the type that enjoys letting my friends use and enjoy any of my possessions and I look at competition to improve my own ability with all hobbies I have.

I do understand what you're saying.

but how could you possess an item like this and not be interested in its speed or uniqueness ??
Dennis
Old 02-06-2011, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

don't mean to but in on you guys arguing about the shaft but wouldn't you rather bust a shaft then blow a rear or transmission?

And matter of fact I haven't heard anyone mention that they have blown a BDR rear or transmission at all.

isn't having the least expensive item the weak link proper design
Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

I have a superformance with a six speed trans, i changed out the gears from the standard 3:46 to 3:91 gear ratio, only with this mod and my slicks as hot and sticky as i can get will my car pull of sub 4 second 0-60 times. Some of you may know Hershyl Byrd on this sight, he has ripped off 2 sub 11 sec quarter miles runs in my car, but man can he drive, no broken half shaft yet, now it will probably break.

Last edited by fordracing65; 02-06-2011 at 10:34 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Personally, I'd rather blow a half shaft than a rear end or trans. But you can find threads with broken trans, rear gears, axles, half shafts, all that, nothing is entirely safe.

T5's can and do break. TKO is much stronger. Top loader is stronger yet. There are many other choices even stronger. The question really is: What is "strong enough" for your style of driving without breaking the bank?

Breaking a rear differential is fairly rare, other components usually go first. Drive shaft, half shaft, axle, clutch, trans (motor ).

But I do recall a thread about a BDR breaking the rear end ring gear! I guess I'll get called for bashing BDR's because I mentioned that. Do a search if you doubt it, I could post a link to the thread/post, but won't bother. Believe it,,, or not.

Fordracing65, playing with fire, it's not IF, it's WHEN something breaks on that IRS. That's pretty cool though, FAST car, go get 'em!

Last edited by Excaliber; 02-06-2011 at 10:47 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 11:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can see an exaggerated example of the lightness not allowing you to hook up in twin turbos youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQtmrxaRVTg

It's amazing how his car comes on like a slingshot after it does hookup Wow.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #491, Red with Black Stripes, 438 Windsor by Keith Craft Racing dynoed at 640hp, Street and Race Prepped.
Not Ranked     

Hey guys, can we all just be friends...

This is just my two cents worth...I've built, worked on, and tracked almost every major manufacters car out there. They all are fantastic in one way or another, and that's what makes them different and special.

Dennis, enjoy your car! It's your Cobra Replica and you enjoy it how you want. And if speed is important, than so be it! I can tell you that I love the feel of the acceleration, and no one here can tell you that they don't enjoy it too. So have fun and always be careful. Spank your friends ZR1 through 60, then let him areodynamically beat you to the quarter. Drive yours to a classic car show and have him park outside.

Ernie, I'm not sure why the BDR bashing, but the others are right. You got to have all the facts. You are more than welcome to your opinion, and it is valid. Yes, there have been some half shafts broken on BDRs. And actually, there have been half shafts broken on other replica kits too.

But keep two things in mind;

First, you can go to almost any track event with Cobras and there will almost always be a BDR there ready to track. I've been to alot of events and it amazes me how many BDRs are on the track. Look at the owners, they both are race car drivers and one has been a professional for over 30 years. They want to make sure that these cars work all around, for basic street driving to spirited track days.

Secondly, BDR sells a lot of cars. They have many cars on the road for the short amount of time they have been building these cars. And they build a very good product. I'm not just saying that because I am a dealer for them, but because of experience. I wouldn't have started to sell them if I felt they were not up to par. And if you haven't driven one, you might want to get in the driver's seat of a BDR and you'll know exactly why the owners love them so much. They are one of the best driving Cobra Replicas out there. And that is directly contributed to the BMW suspension.

Enjoy your car, that's what you bought or built it for...

Drive safe and spirited, James
281-804-5730
Watch out! You may get BIT!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

I was hoping somewhere in this discussion that I could find one of Ernie's claims about BDRs to be true, just so I could acknowledge something and demonstrate I'm not getting overly defensive. So I searched the forum for "broken bdr rear ring gear" and here's the only result that came up:

http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthre...rear+ring+gear

Last edited by Cashburn; 02-07-2011 at 09:06 AM..
Old 02-07-2011, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashburn View Post
i was hoping somewhere in this discussion that i could find one of ernie's claims about bdrs to be true, just so i could acknowledge something and demonstrate i'm not getting overly defensive. So i searched the forum for "broken bdr rear ring gear" and here's the only result that came up:

http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthre...rear+ring+gear
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft#357, 392CI Ford Racing, 459hp, 455ft/lbs , TKO 500, 3.43 Gears, Ceramic Coated Headers, Victor Jr. 750cfm, 17in Halibrand wheels, Sterling Gray/Silver Stripes, Gray Leather, Nitto NT05
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
But I do recall a thread about a BDR breaking the rear end ring gear! I guess I'll get called for bashing BDR's because I mentioned that.
Ex, you don't get accused of BDR bashing for statements like that, it's the other statements that have been documented in this post. Don't try to rewrite history.

As you point out, halfshafts can break on any manufacturer's car, including BDR, SPF, FFR, ERA... but to somehow conclude you have numbers to support that BDR's failure rate is more than all of the them combined is nonsense. I have read and re-read your rational and it gets more humorous each time you try to justify your position with respect to that statement. It's not us with our head in the sand.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

JUS BIT says,
Quote:
Ernie, I'm not sure why the BDR bashing, but the others are right. You got to have all the facts.
Why is BDR bashing ME? Are you guys THAT insecure about your product?

It's a DISCUSSION of variables and component breakage in a sub 4 second launch to 60 mph. For ANY car, and as the OP of this thread owns a BDR, so it applies to BDR in particular. Other replica examples, of component failure, in this thread are SPF, Classic Roadster, ERA, FFR and others.

BDR has in FACT acknowledged they DID have a problem with half shafts breaking. First came the M3 upgrade and then a model change to strengthen the half shafts, BECAUSE THEY WERE BREAKING. For whatever reason, that doesn't change the FACTS. It doesn't change the FACT that any vehicle launching to 60 mph in under 4 seconds is at risk of breaking. OR, is it BDR's official position that THEIR car is immune to breakage under these conditions. If so, I'm calling BS on it.

Cashburn, you claim you can't find the thread/post about the broken/missing teeth on the BDR ring gear? So, because YOU can't find it, you take the opportunity to BASH ME? Here's a clue, Australia, VERY unhappy BDR customer with broken teeth on his BDR ring gear. You owe me an apology, I can post the thread/link, but I won't,,, not yet. I'll let you dig that hole a little deeper before you APOLOGIZE for your ignorance and bashing.

Last edited by Excaliber; 02-07-2011 at 01:17 PM..
Old 02-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's my considered opinion, that BDR has had more half shaft failures than any other replica currently or formerly built. It is my gutt feeling thats it's possible they have had more failures than all other replicas combined from the beginning of BDR history to date.

It's just an opinion, it's not bashing. Can it be proved? Maybe, but it would take considerable work with the search engine to build a data base. Until someone DISPROVES it, it remains my opinion. Like it,,, or not.

Why did they offer an M3 upgrade? Why did they then modify the newer cars with stronger half shafts? I have seen NUMEROUS references to broke BDR half shafts, many times, on Club Cobra. FAR MORE TIMES than for any other replica, I've been around here for quite some time.

Cashburn, here's a BDR broken ring gear, it's NOT from the drag strip!

Last edited by Excaliber; 02-07-2011 at 01:30 PM..
Old 02-07-2011, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hey ,while you guys are giving each other the shaft, I sure would like to here the reasons why tcrist owns a cobra?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Ernie,
I know of Spooky's break. It was an aftermarket diff. on his track car. To surmise that BDR has more breakages than all others combined is your (as in Ernie's) typical bogus generalization. You're taking it personally because every piece of drivel you have contributed to this thread has been debunked.

Ernie Claim #1 - Ratios - False
Ernie Claim #2 - 4k Suspension Option - False
Ernie Claim #3 - Most Failures - False
Ernie Claim #88 - Gross Generalization to be made in next BDR "discussion" - False

Your gutt, is wrong... and you have no way to prove any claims you are making. So why not let people respond with hands on experience in the matter and actual facts?

You get to 16,000 posts with arguments again and again. For what purpose?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cashburn, care to back up your claims with FACTS, or are you just expressing an OPINION, going with your gutt?

How about that apology now, on the broken ring gear thread you said didn't exist?

Want to see the thread about the $4,000 upgrade option? Is there a substantial difference between a 3.46 and 3.50 gear ratio? Excuses, excuses, your full of them Cashburn.

Last edited by Excaliber; 02-07-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Old 02-07-2011, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

You guys can't even keep it straight about what 0-60 is in this thread---OP asked 0-60 mph---all the arguing has been about time for 0-60 feet

either way those times being discussed are pretty pathetic
Old 02-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #621, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default Half-Shaft Bill

I was awarded that name after snapping two on my BDR #621. First one went on the drag strip, very hard launch, very sticky track. Brought it home, installed a new one and back on the road. Snapped #2 on the street, hard acceleration, wheel hop, BAM, there went #2. Replaced it and on I went.

I drive my car hard on and off the track. Breaking stuff is part of the price you pay, just glad it was the half shaft and not the rear end, transmission etc. It takes me about 4 hrs, start to finish to change one out now. Now I have spare CV boots. I road course and auto cross my car regularly on Nitto NT-01's, broke motor mounts (run solid now), even collapsed the motor support on the passenger side (replaced and moved on).

KC 408 stroker
439 rwhp
M3 LSD - 3:46
TKO 600
12.2 real easy pass 1/4 mile time

I like to road course my car, IMHO that's what the BDR is designed for. Lots of very fast Vette's, Porsche's, Vipers out there, I don't run with them on the straights, they don't run with me in the infield. I love the feeling of lateral G's. New race wind screens going on, front air diffuser, big brake kit and upgrade to 1 piece chrome moly rollbar. Now I need to learn how to drive .