Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2015, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra RT3, Roush 427R Crate Engine, Tremec 6-Speed Transmission
Not Ranked     

Henry,

Direct your question to Jay at Vintage Motorsports. He has best knowledge of BDR upgrades over the years. Rather than trying to interpret a poor rendition of upgrades that I could list, Jay, on the other hand, can provide a full list of upgrades that will be of value to you, all BDR owners and future BDR owners.

Phil
Old 07-24-2015, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Proud owner of Backdraft #1609
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstock View Post
Superformance AND Backdraft both have stiff suspension, but the backdraft feels a TINY bit stiffer. It is also known to handle better. I think the ride in the car is actually quite smooth for what it is, when compared to other cars that are set up for road racing. Back to the rail road crossings, I slow down because if I speed up, do to ground clearance, there is a good chance something scrapes the ground. I would slow down going over rail road tracks in most any car so I guess I just don't quite understand the question/comparison. I'm sure that with the infinite amount of suspension adjustments that you can make on the car, you could make it ride quite smooth while giving up handling characteristics. Is there a direct post that I should be looking for to understand your question?

The wheel well is "open" in the sense that rocks can be flung at the fiberglass. I live in SEPA where roads are pretty damn crappy, and I have yet to have any problems with the fiberglass cracking or starring. I think a simple fix for that would be spraying on a thick liner if it's a concern, and I have thought about doing this even though I haven't read any recent problems.

The windshield on my car is perfectly stable with no noticeable movement at speeds approaching 150mph. Other than the upright position being a concern for rocks breaking it, which is a noticeable problem across brands, I have never heard that complaint before.

As far as the door question, I'm not sure why anybody would put downwards pressure, as in your body weight, on any door. Especially on older cars, the hinges weren't quite what they are today. A little common sense goes a long way. You will find that on any fiberglass car, and I wouldn't want to be the fool that hangs off an aluminum door either. When/if YOU end up with any of the replicas, you will come up with your own list of rules to tell passengers. I think most of us have a short list, whether the concerns are real or simply perceived.

I researched different replicas for 2 years before joining this site and pulling the trigger almost immediately after talking to Jay. Hopefully you aren't taking my replies the wrong way as I surely do appreciate the amount of research that goes in to dumping stupid amounts of money on a practically useless car. It's better to ask now than buy and sell at a marginal loss.
First off... I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I can tell you are an experienced BDR owner.

As far as the door question, what I was referring to was, @ Jonathon Motorcars(my 1st ride) before climbing in, the owner instructed me to not use the door for support or grab the windshield for support. He told me to put my left hand on the back of the passenger seat for support when climbing in. I guess I felt a little awkward doing this. It wasn't a big deal, but the door was very small/light weight and after I got out I kind of wiggled the windshield a little. There was a little flex to it. Kind of made me wonder if he has had problems with these issues before as to why he would instruct me to climb in this way.

FWIW...Over all the ride was cool and I quickly forgot about this and was simply amazed at the way the car performed/sounded.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: