Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1048
Not Ranked     
Default Starting Problems

This has happened several times over the last two years and doesn't correlate to anything.

After a 45 min run I parked it in the driveway and tried to start it 30 min later no cranking everything else worked. The voltage on the gauge read 12v and dipped .5 and stayed pretty solid when I tried to crank it. I put a jump starter on it and it fired right up. I then turned it off and fired it up with out the jumper no problem. The voltage when running is 14v and the battery is new.

Starter to hot? Any ideas?
CHANMADD likes this.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had starting trouble early on with my first Cobra. High torque starter solved slow crank speed when engine was hot.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What High Torque starter fits a 351W stroked to 408 matted to a TKO500 transmission?
Old 05-05-2015, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Before you start replacing starters, try insulating it from the heat. There are starter shields that can be installed to protect your starter from engine/header heat. Check out Summit.com. They've got a few different kinds.

Last edited by jhv48; 05-05-2015 at 05:08 PM..
Old 05-05-2015, 11:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Make sure you have a large ground wire from one of the starter bolts to the frame. I used a battery cable for mine.
BDR0572 likes this.
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 05-06-2015, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not sure the heat soak is my problem when it happens the starter doesn't crank at all. When I jump it she starts right up and will restart with out a jump. Almost seems like something the starter isn't getting the correct voltage and once the jump is put on all is good. That would lead me to the battery but it happened on my old battery and a brand new one.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Jumping the battery also moves the battery cable. Perhaps the battery cable is the problem. ... If its not too hard to do, next time the problem pops up, run jumper cables from the battery to the corresponding contacts near the starter (to augment the existing cables) and see if that solves the problem.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-06-2015, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The battery cables are tight, as mentioned before it has happened about 5 times and once the car was sitting all night so a hot starter can also be ruled out. Next time I'll take the battery negative and jump it to chassis ground and se if that solves the problem.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

remove your cables, check to see they are clean bare metal. Put a little grease on them before installing them.

Dwight
Old 05-06-2015, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

Doesn't sound like heat if it doesn't work first thing in the morning or if it starts right up again right after the jump. Although, adding jumper cables makes it sound like it is a battery connection issue. Make sure your block is grounded. You can even add a ground strap from the starter mounting bolts to the frame. If you have a faulty ground somewhere, that could make it an intermittent problem.

Sometimes you have a dead spot in the starter coil. Try rolling the car just a bit (1mph) then let out the clutch with it in gear. See if it starts then. Not sure why this works since it doesn't rotate the starter coils, but my buddys does this and it works. Or... you can try banging the starter with a hammer - the vibrations can move the starter coils ever so slightly - enough to create the magnetic field to engage the starter. If this works, you likely need a new starter.

If you have a Ford style starter, make sure the solenoid is getting 12v+ from the battery and a 12v signal from the starter circuit. Then make sure the starter is getting 12v from the solenoid (make sure to disable the ignition so the car doesn't start while you are testing).

If you have a GM style starter (solenoid attached to the starter) it is easier to test as all the parts are in the same location by the starter. Still, the same applies. Make sure you are getting 12v to the battery terminal and 12v to the solenoid terminal when the key is twisted.

With either type, you should hear the click of the solenoid when you turn the key/push the start button. If you hear the click, it is likely the starter or the wiring from the solenoid to the starter (Ford style), or battery supply to the starter (GM style). If no click, the signal from the key to the solenoid is getting interrupted.
BDR0572 likes this.

Last edited by Texasdoc; 05-06-2015 at 06:49 PM..
Old 05-07-2015, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

This used to be a common problem. There should be a relay installed in the low current....ie the small wire that goes to the solenoid. The resistance gets too much in the wire and not enough current gets to the solenoid to activate it. A relay with a wire takeing current from the battery to the solenoid , through the relay should work..
Old 05-07-2015, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

So the current going to the starter does not go through the ignition switch..
Old 05-07-2015, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am not fully following but it sounds like you might be correct. My backdraft is #382 and was built in 2006. I also don't follow your fix, do you have a wiring diagram?
Old 05-07-2015, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing 427 SC
Not Ranked     
Default Starting problem

I had starting and running problems with my Backdraft. Question, do you have a Pertronix distributor? If so that might be the problem. When I changed to a MSD pro-billet it made a ton of difference in my car.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The distributor can't be the problem the car doesn't crank.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANMADD View Post
This used to be a common problem. There should be a relay installed in the low current....ie the small wire that goes to the solenoid. The resistance gets too much in the wire and not enough current gets to the solenoid to activate it. A relay with a wire takeing current from the battery to the solenoid , through the relay should work..
Yes agree, this is what you need to do.

All cars should have this.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 05-10-2015, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't understand what you are saying, Does the car have a relay that needs replacing or it doesn't have one and needs one. If the latter is the case what is the relay control mechanism?
Old 05-10-2015, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
remove your cables, check to see they are clean bare metal. Put a little grease on them before installing them.

Dwight
Before you do anything, do this. Wire brush terminals and cable ends, particularly ground.
You likely have a sulfated terminal.
You'd be amazed how a little of this kills your connection. Used to happen all the time on the '68-'69 corvettes due to lousey venting in the battery compartment behind the seat.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by genolan View Post
I don't understand what you are saying, Does the car have a relay that needs replacing or it doesn't have one and needs one. If the latter is the case what is the relay control mechanism?
It's quite common for starter solenoids to not energise if there is some resistance in the circuit.

Adding a relay makes the solenoid current path direct from the battery to the solenoid.

The ignition switch and neutral start switch form the low current path to activate the relay.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 12-06-2017, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Reviving an old thread. My Backdraft (351/427 with Powermaster Master Torque starter) displays the behavior that Texasdoc describes above. That is, once in a great while, it won't start. No solenoid click, nothing. It's not heat soak, the car can be cold when this happens.
When this does happen, the trick of putting it in gear, pushing the car a few inches, then back to neutral and starting ALWAYS works. So I think it's not electrical.
My guess is that there's a bad spot on the flywheel gear with bad teeth and if the car stops on those teeth, it won't start next time. But then I should hear the solenoid click, right?
Thoughts? Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: