Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, Coyote
Not Ranked     
Default Advice on finalizing BackDraft configuration

We have decided to replace current toy (37 Ford) with a Cobra.

This forum has been very helpful helping me decide which manufacture and dealer to work with for my new Cobra. Found many postings with positive experience with folks at Vintage Motorsports and after speaking with Jay and Brian I do not have any reservations engaging with Vintage for new toy.

Only issue with Vintage is it’s on the wrong coast.

Plan to drive car a lot, we live in Northern California and will be able to drive at least 10 months a year. Doubt car will be raced much.

Have decided on most major items but since I am spending the kids college fund I do want to ensure we optimize new Cobra configuration. I am an engineer by trade so yes I can be too detailed sometimes.

Here is what we current have specified:
  • Spectra Blue with white stripes
  • Coyote engine
  • T-56
  • 3.91 rear ratio
  • Soft top
  • Rear paint protection
  • Polished lip 17 inch wheels
  • Ceramic headers
  • Rear 3M

Would feedback on the following items (or any other details):
  • Front 3M, like idea of stone protection. Anyone have this? Looks?
  • Oil Cooler, temperatures can be above 100. Besides look factor would this be useful?
  • Hurst short shifter
  • Billet aluminum knobs, these seem to be big improvement over stock.
  • Solid motor mounts
  • Steering wheel, do want wood wheel. Is Moto-Lita Wheel improvement over stock?
  • Mirrors, seems windshield mount is needed to be useful. Would like mirror on passenger side as well. Is Ray Dyot best choice or are there others that work better?

And especially would like feedback about what we have not considered.

Thanks in advance
Patrick
Old 04-09-2012, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1115 --VMS 427 c.i.
Not Ranked     

Pat --

I'm kind of in the same boat as you with decisions regarding a Backdraft build. I live in Auburn, CA -- so we are virtually neighbors. My car is currently being built (#1115) and can be viewed on the Vintage website in "Current Projects".

I'll provide comments to your questions as my build progresses and would love to communicate with you if you decide to proceed with the build. Jay and and folks at Vintage are incredible to work with and will accomodate your specific wants and needs -- with constructive suggestions along the way.

Jeff
Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #260 w/ 347 stroker, Canfield 195 cc heads, prosystems carb on a VicJr, Comp roller cam
Not Ranked     

if your going to log miles...3m front is a yes! mine was install at custom cars, very well done.
mirrors, I don't like my ray-dot or the way BRD mounts them... but still don't have a better option. I do have one of the clip on convex dash mirrors...it works good.
steering wheel...up-grade! Jay should have some good options. on the short shifter...I think this is a personal preference thing, I built my own flat hurst style forward shortie...i like it!
just installed the billett knob...sweet!
solid mounts....just installed with the 347 stroker...you feel more engine vibrations...have not driven many miles to form an opinion yet, if impression, don't know if I like it, but a very simple change if you don't. (at least on a 302 base motor)
391 gears...that's what i have and it good. you'll be better with the higher RPM's of the new 5.0! what the first gear ratio of the t56? hopefully not in the 3's?
one item not listed...rear shock...i'd get KYB's...not sure if they are still shipping car with Gabrial's...to soft, bilstiens to hard, KYB just right....but this is me.
btw...sounds like a nice build! Jay's a good guy to deal with also!

I've logged 14k mile on my car on 5'ish mo/yr of driving, you'll love it.

my 0.02!
BDR#260...21.6K miles logged as of 4/2018
www.motorheadsohio.com We are an engine machine shop, specializing in crankshafts!
47 years of doing business an going strong! stop on by for a personal tour of the shop
Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX6128 with Shelby 468FE
Not Ranked     

Pat,

Like Jeff, I have 1091 in final build at the moment and Jay and Brian have been great at answering all my questions/emails since I placed my order at the end of Jan.

Once I had decided on the color and engine spec I wanted, I was guided by Jay on the other stuff you mention.....on the basis that he knows a lot more about these cars than I do!

I also liked that some of the spec, I thought I needed, that would have added to the cost and presumably Vintage's profit margin, Jay said not to bother with, thus saving me a few dollars.

Your spec looks great and the Spectra blue looks fantastic. The one item I did add was the quick release camlock four point harness instead of the usual latch/lock system, on the basis that kids will be in and out of it and it may be a bit more user friendly.

Good luck with the build out - I look forward to seeing the pics and videos.

Andy
Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Appreciate the feedback

Jeff, indeed let’s keep in touch. Looking forward to watching your build, who knows we may end up taking a few journeys together.

Tamanaco appreciate all your comments. Good idea about shocks. T-56 will be less than 3 in first.

Andy great idea about quick release.

All you Cobras look fantastic.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

I have been driving a Backdraft in the San Jose area for a couple of years now, about 4,000 miles, so my experience only, you milage may vary.

Front 3M, Yes, up to the front hood line and across and the rear fender area are a must. But, I also had it put on the top of the doors where you arm will rest and all those watch and ring scratches are no longer a problem, especially on the passenger door. My car is black and the stuff is invisible and super gloss. AND, put it under the soft top where it contacts the body or your will have a mess to try to polish out immediately.

Oil Cooler, temperatures can be above 100. Besides look factor would this be useful? Yes, but the "look factor is worth the price" alone.

Hurst short shifter. Depends on your taste. But, I put a Tri-Ax (spelling may be off) on my TKO 600 (yours is different) and it was night and day for shifting, but actually made the car just more comfortable all the way around. I used the absolute shortest holes and the shortest shifter and it works like magic.

Solid motor mounts. I changed mine back to urethane mounts and lots of stuff stopped vibrating off the car and the whole experience was just better. Your motor will be softer in that area for sure as mine shakes your filling out idling. Good for a race car, not so good for a street car in my experience. Easy garage change if you make a mistake here also.

Steering wheel, do want wood wheel. Is Moto-Lita Wheel improvement over stock? You won't know what you really want till you drive it a while, just the way it works. A bit like the shifter, after a while, looks are secondary to you just wanting it to work great and be able to see the dash instruments.

Mirrors, seems windshield mount is needed to be useful. Would like mirror on passenger side as well. Is Ray Dyot best choice or are there others that work better? I put chrome Rays on mine both sides, mounted on the windshield, really look cool on a black car. Both are useless. The center mirror is your best friend, with the drivers side mirror having some marginal use at times. Can't really advise here, just know the small round mirrors on both sides look cool and serve no useful purpose in flight.

If you are not going to race or track day the car, you might want to consider a taller rear gear. It will make the car much, much better on the kinds of roads we drive on out here. As an engineer, you might want to look at a gear chart vs. tire size/final drive and that will give you a good feeling for the RPMs at 70ish, where most of your driving will be probably. This will make some guys cringe, but something just under or around 2,000 at 70 in your best gear is really nice on a sunny day in California.

Put a heater in the car if you haven't already and you will drive it 12 months out of the year here. Changes are you wasted your money on the top, mine has been on once for about 20 minutes, took it off and never even though of putting it on again, with the heater. Just watch the weather forecast and you will be fine. Carry a cover, just in that super rare case.

BUT, be extremely careful with your new baby at first. When they bite and they always do, it's quick and fast and usually a total surprise to the uninitiated.

Good luck and you will love the experience.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Patrick.

Look at this tread for my build... I guess I'm one of the guys with most "upgrades" on my BDR - and close to your wish list

take a look at:

Thanks to Jerry at SunCoast

The "upgrades" I love the most:

The Look:
- Oil Cooler
- dual front fans
- Gray interiour (I would go for Alcantare for better grip / less sweat)
- Steeda shifter (I love it)
- Gilmer Belt
- 8 stack EFI

The drive:
- small bell housing
- Bigger brakes
- Stiff suspension
- NRG Steering wheel hub (for theft protection) - and to change from wood (cruise) to suede (fun)

I do not like/would not do again:
- Heated seats (don't use them)

I have more pictures if you would like to see...

Good luck
Henrik

Last edited by henrik; 04-09-2012 at 01:18 PM..
Old 04-09-2012, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Pat,

I have helped a couple friends with their BD and I can tell you that most of the work is done when you receive your roller. BD is a good manufacturer and I have met and raced with several of the principles of Backdraft including Tony Martin (S. Africa) and Reg Dodd (Miami Fla). Both are great people to know and do business with as is Jay with Vintage.

IMO you are making a great choice with the new Coyote engine and T-56.

The oil cooler works well in extremely hot weather and race conditions but for most of us it is not necessary. Even in Tulsa, OK my oil temp is not up to where I would like for it to be.

Billet knobs are a personal thing
Solid Motor mounts -Yes
Moto Lisa Steering wheel -Yes
Mirrors-They all suck but it is better than nothing

In my opinion any upgrades would be better spent on upgrading brakes or suspension. That being said the BDR is very well set up.

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

PATF11, just an FYI, there is a new dealer in So Cal. Alistair Miller at Millerspeed phone 310-408-8798.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #648 351w/385hp
Not Ranked     

patf11. Having sold my street rods and bought a BDR, I can tell you you've made a good decision. The rods were fun, but my COBRA is more exciting to drive, with the manual 5 speed, and the open air doesn't have the confining feel of a chopped top rod. I have the 3M on the front and rear quarters. You get a lot of "stuff" kicked up on the front from other vehicles. I also have the 15" leather Moto-Lita and like it a lot. Enjoy your BDR COBRA...you will be happy with your choice.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #260 w/ 347 stroker, Canfield 195 cc heads, prosystems carb on a VicJr, Comp roller cam
Not Ranked     

one safety item that I'm sure they do...but you may want to ask. A inertia fuel pump switch.
BDR#260...21.6K miles logged as of 4/2018
www.motorheadsohio.com We are an engine machine shop, specializing in crankshafts!
47 years of doing business an going strong! stop on by for a personal tour of the shop
Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Appreciate all the feedback and great ideas.

Jay is working on proposal new.

Thank to all for taking time to respond

Patrick
Old 04-10-2012, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft
Not Ranked     

Go with the 3M in the front and over the top of the doors I wish I had. I put the T-56 in mine which is nice on the highway cruisin. If you are going to put the oil cooler put in a thermostat; the worst thing you can do for an engine is run with cold oil. I love the look of the oil cooler in Cobra but think the location is accident waiting to happen (rock or some other road debri). If I was going to put an oil cooler in for function only I would use engine coolant to oil type. Good luck Jay will do you right.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 Roadster with 427 engine
Not Ranked     

I just went through the process you are going through. Don't worry about being on tHe west coast. I paid for shipping from Connecticut to Indiana. $950.00and it arrived in perfect shape. I would only worry about quality. My new Backdraft is unbelievable. Every bit the quality of a Superformance but $15k less.

I worked with Jay on the set up. I have the VMS 427 from Dart racing engines. Then Vintage Motorsports can set up the top of the engine however you want. I had never done anything like this before..I was so fun. Go to Vintage Motorsports website and look at Tim's car #1096. They post pictures all through the process. I never saw the car until the transport delivered it. Man, what a car!
If you have questions let me know.
Tim
Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was involved in building my previous toys, this is first time someone else is doing most of the work. Not really worried about VMS, just would like shop to be closer so I could visit during build. I am sure Jay, Brian and team would value my input. look I am helping.

Several of my friends think it would be great idea to pickup car at VMS and drive back to California. Have several volunteers to ensure I do not get lost of way home. While this would make quite an adventure I am not convinced it is a very good idea.

I do appreciate all the great advice. I have looked at each build referenced in this thread, one of the reasons I am not worried about VMS.

It is fun researching and deciding on configuration.
snowgoer likes this.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK427 BB Chevy454
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPlaster58 View Post
Go with the 3M in the front and over the top of the doors I wish I had. I put the T-56 in mine which is nice on the highway cruisin. If you are going to put the oil cooler put in a thermostat; the worst thing you can do for an engine is run with cold oil. I love the look of the oil cooler in Cobra but think the location is accident waiting to happen (rock or some other road debri). If I was going to put an oil cooler in for function only I would use engine coolant to oil type. Good luck Jay will do you right.
Totally agree with DJ on the oil cooler-I'm waiting on a stat, so I run mine with duct tape over the oil cooler, otherwise it runs too cool.
3M, not sure, seen a couple of BDR's over here in France, and for me there are too many (visible) joints- I'd have a look before you go ahead as i don't know how easy it would be to remove after!
Good luck, Mark
Old 06-05-2012, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft # 1124 Supercharged Roush Coyote
Not Ranked     

Patrick, I maybe a little late to the conversation. I had Brian and Jay build 1124 for me with the Roush 5.0 Coyote SC. We put a TKO 600 and 3.91 LSD in the car with a long list of other options.

At first, I was concerned about the 3.91 in the car as it seemed it would be a little too much for the car. After having the car for now about 2 months, I have to say it was a great idea. The coyote motor needs to spin up quickly to provide the power on demand the way you think it should come on. At 80 MPH in 5th gear the car is producing 2100RPMs.

I wanted an oil cooler and VMS said it was not needed. The engine runs very cool to begin with. Most of the time on the highway the airflow keeps the engine cool and the fan off. I do have an intercooler on the front which looks very cool so I guess I dont miss the oil cooler.

The 1124 car built by VMS is truely awesome. The quality of the work from VMS combined with the modern engine we choose has made me a very happy customer. Jay and Brian will delivery you the best BDR available on the market!

Enjoy
Old 06-05-2012, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

I had a 36 Ford Coupe street rod that I sold for my Backdraft. Loved teh street rod, but I really love the BD. Much more user freindly car, acn use for cruising, car shows or SCCA/racing.

I have Billet knobs sourced from the street rod industry. I have the Moto Lisa Steering wheel and like it.

Fro mirrors, Bill Littleton used to offer a mirror that attached to the windshield frame, it worked really well. global key words I heard he was out of business, but you could try to call him.

Good luck with the car, hope you enjoy yours as much as I do.

Howard
Old 06-06-2012, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Appreciate everyone’s advice; it has been very valuable determining final configuration.

Oil cooler was one item I was not sure about, seems it is not needed.

Scohen2266, I imagine S/C Coyote is truly awesome, I originally intended to get the same engine. When I made the presentation to the CFO to fund new Cobra apparently my engine selection section needs did not adequately communicate why the S/C was needed vs. normally aspirated engine. As a result funding was cut for the Roush Coyote SC, only got approval for standard Ford Racing version, something about kitchen remodel.

Women sure have strange priorities.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

Might have missed it in the thread, but ... Pass. roll-bar yes or no?

Heat shields for the side pipes?