Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2020, 08:10 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBSerpent View Post
Also, referring to my original photo, the union between the red anodized fuel line fitting that screws into the bowl and the blue coupling are a compression style union, correct? As such, there is no gasket at this union, correct? Just want to confirm.
There is indeed a gasket between the fuel bowl and the inlet fitting. It should be in your kit.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:15 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

There may also be a spring and a Moraine brass filter in there as well. If they are, note the direction that it all goes in (or Google it), so that you put them back in correctly after cleaning them. I know they're in mine, so they might be in yours as well.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:45 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is what they look like. And they're actually a little trickier to get seated properly than you might think. Some Holley's have a teeny weeny little lip over on the inside of where the gasket seats and if you don't get down there and look the gasket sits on top of it funny and you get a drip.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...SABEgKVnPD_BwE
Old 08-10-2020, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yes, lube up the O-ring so that it slides in and sits nicely. There's probably better lubricants, but I've used Vaseline on them since I was a young teenager (and I'm now in my 60's). It's never let me down yet.
I used vaseline on a rubber once now they call me dad.I would be very careful using it again . By the way you know what they call men how use the withdrawal method? DADS!
Old 08-10-2020, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

The needle and seat stuck on my Cobra right after our Austin get-together last weekend. Pulled it out and cleaned it off and it's fine now.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR build #983, FRM 392
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
This is what they look like. And they're actually a little trickier to get seated properly than you might think. Some Holley's have a teeny weeny little lip over on the inside of where the gasket seats and if you don't get down there and look the gasket sits on top of it funny and you get a drip.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...SABEgKVnPD_BwE
No brass filter and no lip on the fuel bowl inlet. Any specific torque on the 4 fuel bowl bolts? Or, is it a 'common sense & feel' torque value? I assume after a couple of engine cycles I will need to re-check the tightness on the bolts?
Old 08-10-2020, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimG427 View Post
The needle and seat stuck on my Cobra right after our Austin get-together last weekend. Pulled it out and cleaned it off and it's fine now.
I gave mine a thorough cleaning as well and it moves smoothly but I still have a concern over the O-ring on the N&S assembly. I'm just gonna replace it entirely with a new one from the rebuild kit.

How did you realize your N&S were stuck? Was the car stumbling really bad? Smell of gas? Was it pouring through the boosters into the chambers?
Old 08-10-2020, 01:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't muscle it, just crank it down firm, and a little more, but nothing spectacular. Remember, it's just holding in 6 psi of pressure. On the other hand, you don't want it dripping.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:04 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
How did you realize your N&S were stuck? Was the car stumbling really bad? Smell of gas? Was it pouring through the boosters into the chambers?
Remember that any time fuel comes out of the boosters, when the butterflies are closed because you are idling, it will pool on top of the butterflies and then seep out through the throttle shaft and drip down on to the intake manifold. If you had a nickel for every post where some guy wrote "why is gas leaking out the side of my carb?" you'd be a millionaire. If it is on the secondary side on a vac secondary carb, it usually comes out the shaft and drips down off the plunger for the vacuum canister. If you look down the top of the carb while it is idling and you see little pools of gas on top of your butterflies then it means either your needle and seat is leaking or your floats are too high or the gas you are using is really $hitty and is percolating up and out through the boosters. A couple of years ago I did a full rebuild of my carb and set the floats dry on my bench. When I fired her up I set the floats to just at the base of the sight glass for both primary and secondary. Then I took her around the block three or four times and pulled her back in to the driveway (not the garage) and popped the hood and removed the air filter. Gas was dribbling out both primaries and secondaries at a pretty decent pace. I immediately shut her down and the prettiest white cloud formed about one foot over my carb that you have ever seen. If I had had a Lucky Strike in my hand I could have made a wonderful YouTube vid with it. In order for me to set my floats perfectly, so that I get no percolating after I shut her down on a hot day, I have to set the gas level about an eighth of an inch below the sight hole and the way I do it is by setting it just below the hole, then drive her, if she percs then set it a little lower, then repeat until both primary and secondary are set as high as possible without percolating out when hot.
bingo2 likes this.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

Interesting to see this, just redid mine a month ago was starting to get flat on accel and just did not run good . original from 2007 she served the car well .
Old 08-10-2020, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"then it means either your needle and seat is leaking or your floats are too high or the gas you are using is really $hitty and is percolating up and out through the boosters"

...or the O-ring on the N&S assembly may be leaking?

I experienced exactly what you described in your write-up but in my case, it was on a cold start (car hadn't been run in days), which takes the percolating gas factor out of the equation.

Last edited by SBSerpent; 08-10-2020 at 03:02 PM..
Old 08-10-2020, 03:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
"then it means either your needle and seat is leaking or your floats are too high or the gas you are using is really $hitty and is percolating up and out through the boosters"

...or the O-ring on the N&S assembly may be leaking?

I experienced exactly what you described in your write-up but in my case, it was on a cold start (car hadn't been run in days), which takes the percolating gas factor out of the equation.
Yep, that too.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Carrying that thought a little further. When I placed the old N&S back into the fuel bowl, it just dropped right in up to the threaded portion with no resistance from the O-ring. Based on the recommendation of using a lubricant around the O-ring, I would think that the N&S assembly shouldn't just 'fall in' to the hole but rather needs to be pushed in due to the resistance from the O-ring. Shouldn't that be the case? If my old N&S just drops in, does that indicate a bad O-ring?
Old 08-10-2020, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nevermind. I just realized that the O-ring doesn't start seating until you've tightened the N&S a few turns.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Carrying that thought a little further. When I placed the old N&S back into the fuel bowl, it just dropped right in up to the threaded portion with no resistance from the O-ring. Based on the recommendation of using a lubricant around the O-ring, I would think that the N&S assembly shouldn't just 'fall in' to the hole but rather needs to be pushed in due to the resistance from the O-ring. Shouldn't that be the case? If my old N&S just drops in, does that indicate a bad O-ring?
Yes, bad o-ring.
The o-ring needs to be the correct size, and lubed on assembly. It is the first resistive part on assembly.
A bad o-ring can be a reason for a creeping float level, and flooding condition.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 08-11-2020, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
Yes, bad o-ring.
The o-ring needs to be the correct size, and lubed on assembly. It is the first resistive part on assembly.
A bad o-ring can be a reason for a creeping float level, and flooding condition.
And a bad O-ring was the cause of my problem! When I compared the old N&S assembly to the new replacement part, the flatness of the O-ring was very obvious. I guess it had lost it's sealing capability over the years. Reinstalled the bowl with a new N&S and new gaskets and everything works great now. No fuel pouring into the secondary chambers. Thanks everyone for all of your help, proving once again what a wealth of information this forum is.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
And a bad O-ring was the cause of my problem! When I compared the old N&S assembly to the new replacement part, the flatness of the O-ring was very obvious. I guess it had lost it's sealing capability over the years. Reinstalled the bowl with a new N&S and new gaskets and everything works great now. No fuel pouring into the secondary chambers. Thanks everyone for all of your help, proving once again what a wealth of information this forum is.
Yes, that is what happens over time.
Glad you have sorted your flooding condition.
Gary

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 08-12-2020, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 427w
Not Ranked     

There are no gaskets used with AN type hoses and fittings unless the conical end of the fitting is damaged, then there is a soft washer type piece that can be used to help seal the fitting.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: