Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2003, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #69, 351W, T5
Send a message via AIM to brainbugnj Send a message via Yahoo to brainbugnj
Not Ranked     
Default OilPan and BellHousing for a backdraft?

Hey guys - had a couple questions my motor is at the machine shop now and for balancing they want the clutch and flywheel assembly..... they also need the rest of the parts for assembly...

What oilpan are you guys using? are there any restrictions? I would like to get a canton road racing pan but front or rear sump? any problems?

What bellhousing are you guys using? and what clutch/flywheel combo with that? The motor is 351W 1969.

Thanks for everyones help, these are the last parts for the motor.... next onto ordering the car....
Old 08-28-2003, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

You'll have no problems with oil pan clearance. Just go with the pan you like.

Ford's King Cobra clutch package with their cast flywheel is good setup if you're staying below the 400 HP mark. Above that, a dual friction clutch, RAM has a good one, and a billet flywheel should be considered.

We mostly use the aluminum bell housing that Tremec sells for the 3550, but again, if you going to push up the HP, go with a steel bell housing. Tremec's TKO is also a good upgrade if you get into the 450 HP range.

My HP recommendations are flexible to the issue of how you'll drive the car. I like to upgrade on low end of HP ranges to eleminate undue stress on components. It's a little more expensive going in but better in the long run.

Hope this helps.

Boudy
Old 08-29-2003, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boudy - Think I am going with the Canton Road Race oil pan....

gonna be pushing the 475HP mark.... so I would like a TKO, what bellhousing goes along with that? As far as the flywheel, why billet? THe motor is a 69 are there any flywheel size restrictions given bellhousings? I was looking at a mcleod bellhousing.......

I guess as long as everything is matchedup there isn't any space restrictions with bellhousings either correcT?

Do you suggest a slave or Hyd Throw out?
Old 08-29-2003, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was looking @ the lonstar performance page.. any other vendor recommendations?

Last edited by brainbugnj; 08-29-2003 at 01:46 PM..
Old 09-05-2003, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Sorry for the delay. The TKO is a good choice but the yoke is different than a T-5 but it's included with the tranny. It just needs to be taken down to the driveshaft shop and have the yokes changed... $120 tops. The 351 W, if I recall, uses and 11" flywheel. But it will be easy enough just to by a package from McLeod to ensure all is well. The cast flywheels are good up to 400 HP or so, the billet is the next step up to handle more power vs cast.

If you buy parts for a 351 W, you won't have a space, alignment type problem. The flywheel, clutch, disc are all standard. I can't recall but where ever you buy your bell housing, make sure it's for a TKO. I think it may be different.

If you go with a BDR, it's already plumbed for a clutch slave cyl.

Robert
Old 09-26-2003, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FYI, make sure you machine the bottom of the bellhousing below the lower mounting bolts. I have a McCloud behind a 351W (Canton 7 qt pan) and 3550 and the damn think hangs up on everything from speed bumps to putting a trench in my trailer. I think if you grind about an inch off the bottom or even with the tranny you should be fine.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hehe..... have to look into that before dumping this thing in... all this good information I think I am going to build a website explaining all of it for those folks who don't know....
Old 09-30-2003, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mad Macs: Curious... what did you set the ride heights at? Man, that's low to be hitting everything like it was.

Boudy
Old 09-30-2003, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default manufactures

Have you considered B&B Manufacturing (formerly LA Exotics)? Bryan Anderson and Barry McGill moved their manufacturing from Los Angeles to Granby Missouri (about 1 1/2 hours east of Tulsa or about 15 minutes south of Joplin, Mo).

B&B produces a high quality product (very strong frame and hand laid fiberglass), plus they are great guys with 20 years experience . Absolutely men of their word, eg: they do what they say they will do and more.

http://bandbroadsters.com
417-472-3547

I have had mine for almost 4 years and I have driven it very hard at race tracks. Although I have had problems in the past none of my problems had anything to do with the structural integrity nor the manufacturing of their Cobra replica. I highly recommend these guys

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 09-30-2003, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Clois: We're talking about trannys and bell housing here. Are you sure you got the correct thread.

Robert
Old 09-30-2003, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Boudy

I admit the shocks are at their lowest setting and the car sits in the weeds. But even if I raise the car a hair the bellhousing is still the lowest part of the car by far and may hang up on something. That is why IMHO the lower flange of MY (McLeod) bellhousing should be machined. Of course other installations and experiences can vary. I'll get the ride height tonight.

Craig
Old 09-30-2003, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Interesting. I haven't used that bell housing personally. Is the lower flange larger to require the machining?

Boudy
Old 09-30-2003, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

well I am going to end up with the Ford Motorsport Bellhousing, so I will let you know what it looks like once in....

steve
Old 10-01-2003, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boudy

I measured the car last night, I got 7" off the ground behind the front tire and 8" in front of the rear. But the Bellhousing is 3-3.5" off the floor. I could probably get another 1-1.5" if I machined the lower flange up to the lower mounting bolts. And no I don't think McLeod designed it to be machined. It will just be a cut to fit application.

Will send a picture if I get a chance.

Craig
Old 02-22-2005, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396 long block, PROBE Forged Dished pistons 8.75 to 1 and Vic Jr. heads from Engine Factory. Tremec TKO. BDR#244 Sterling Gray/Silver stripes. 17in polished wheels, glove box and tonneau cover.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by brainbugnj

well I am going to end up with the Ford Motorsport Bellhousing, so I will let you know what it looks like once in....

steve
I know this is a OLD thread but I'm at this stage also. Got a 3550 and need a bell housing for my stroker. I was looking at an Aluminum FMS one. Will that one fit a 3550? And from what Reg told me all I need is a standard Clutch fork. Anybody got a part number for one? Which brand? Oh and I'm planning on using a Spec stage 3 clutch and billet flywheel. Any input or help is greatly appreciated!

Sid
Old 02-23-2005, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

I used all Ford Motorsport on my BDR/392 Windsor and had good results. King Cobra clutch, mini starter, Canton pan, dip stick, scattershield, 3550 tranny and pullys.
The bottom of my scattershield is about 5 inches from the ground but I still hit things. I used the McLeod scattershield but had to clean it up some, like hole clearences and light grinding on the starter mount area (as mentioned in previous threads). Also, 2 bolts at the 11 o'clock position were too long (hit the head) and had to use shorter bolts not supplied. The Motorsport/Canton pan also worked well.
All in all, with great dealer support, it made parts acquisition much easier.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396 long block, PROBE Forged Dished pistons 8.75 to 1 and Vic Jr. heads from Engine Factory. Tremec TKO. BDR#244 Sterling Gray/Silver stripes. 17in polished wheels, glove box and tonneau cover.
Not Ranked     

Are there curtain bolts I need to mount the trans? Does ARP have them?

Sid
Old 04-02-2005, 11:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to Chris Robinson Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Robinson
Not Ranked     

just give these guys a call when it comes to drivetrain needs..they have just about everything..even the metric clutch bolts if you need those too.

http://www.ddperformance.com/
Old 04-04-2005, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #200 with a KCR 575/550 408
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by got snake? Are there curtain bolts I need to mount the trans? Does ARP have them?
Sid
Check out your bellhousing contents first. My Lakewood came with the trans/bellhousing bolts.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mine came with bolts but only 4. I have two Dowl pins (sp) on the block already. Is that enough?

Sid