Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

One he still owns...with a few sleeves added.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Gee moneymanager, I sure wish you had been at Willow Springs the weekend before. I didn't get passed either!!! (bigger course, higher speeds)
Old 11-08-2004, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to tony martin
Not Ranked     

HEY DOC,

BETER CHANGE YOUR HANDLE TO "SUPER DOC" NOW!!!

WELL DONE LAST WEEK.
GLAD U GUYS HAD SOM GOOD SAFE RACING. A LITTLE BIT OF COMPITITION NEVER HURT ANYONE.

I AM HAPPY THAT YOUR NEW COBRA WAS UP TO YOUR EXPECTATIONS.

DRIVE SAFELY

REGARDS TO ALL ON THE FORUM

mister lucky
Old 11-09-2004, 12:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

moneymanager

Well done Doc. I have previously 'Posted" that I saw the BDR Cobras at St. Loius last year at the 'Run N Gun' and was impressed. I guess the R + D by BMW does not go astray either..

Perhaps BMW may throw some dollars at the BDR owners for feedback and research data ..

Well done again. The # 001 Cobra looks great in the pits there..

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 11-09-2004, 08:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Obviously a "ringer" of a BDR with BIG money invested.

Don't expect similiar results from a standard issue BDR. I'm guessing THIS one cost dang near what a Shelby would cost (one without a stock 302).

Not being "mean" just trying to keep a level playing field and comparing dollars to dollars, or apples to apples if you would.

By the time you order the 17" wheel upgrade and the limited slip option (standard issue is an open differential), a top and other, in my opinion what should be "standard" options, you will spend as much as you would for an SPF roller. Perhaps BDR IS that good, at THAT price!

Does the "standard" issue BDR come with a "standard" issue BMW trans (ie WITHOUT over drive)? If not I wonder what that over drive trans wouild cost (a small fortune I would guess)?
Old 11-09-2004, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of BDR 127......
Not Ranked     

C'mon Ernie, Give Backdraft a break. I can understand when you were commenting on the hopped up '04 BDR Run-n-Gun car, BUT Doc's car is his everyday driver, with nothing that would be considered non-standard from the BDR factory (except the slicks). It sounds like a fair combination of a good driver, a good car and a great day of competition at the races, not 'this hot-rodded custom Cobra' arguement that has been hinted at in the past.

Doc - Correct me if I am wrong, but your car also has the standard suspension and not the upgraded M3 suspension correct??

All in all, it sounds like you guys had a blast out there and this tees things up for an even better race next time around....... Shelby, Superformance, ERA, BDR, etc..... it's all good!!!

- Snak Iyz

Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's addressed to someone else.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Simple questions really, IS the BDR in question stock or near stock?

Even if's not, I KNOW the thrill of going to the track and being a winner! It's really fun, I'm glad for Doc AND BDR.

I don't think it's fair to leave the impression that a "stock" BDR can clean the clock of all other replica Cobras if in fact it is NOT stock. "Stock" being as it would be typically purchased from BDR.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doc, congratulations on the great fun you had with your BDR. I am sorry I was not there. What were your times? The times will tell us how fast you were compared to others. I was told by 2 people that Bart Carters FFR walked away from all cobra's. He had a transponder and took first in TTB group with a time of 2:03. What group did you run in hpde 1, or the faster hpde 4 or TT group? Sounds like fun but there is some confusion. Scott
Old 11-09-2004, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hey Tony,

well built, you got some real interest now.

You may check page 26&27 of paul van valkenburgh's "race car engineering and mechanics" what he says about a 22-page technical paper explaining the BMW's MacPherson strut.

but you figured that out already, didn't you? ;-)

are you still racing, BTW - or these days BMW?
at least you should polish all the trophies I saw in the box in your office.

Dom, cape town
Old 11-09-2004, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to tony martin
Not Ranked     

SUPER DOC,

TELL SLICK ABOUT JUST HOW STD. YOUR CAR IS. IT SEEMS THAT HE CANNOT BELIEVE THAT YOUR CAR BDR NO.13(MARK 1) CAN BE AS GOOD AS IT IS. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY HE THINKS THIS??
ALSO PLEASE STATE YOUR STATUS AS A RINGER.

ONCE AGAIN I COMPLEMENT U ON YOUR PERFORMANCE, I GUESS U ARE A VERY PROFICIENT RACE CAR DRIVER AND YOUR SPELLING IS PROBALLY MUCH BETTER THAN MINE!!!!

HANG IN AND HANG ON FOR THE RIDE OF YOUR LIFE!!

REGARDS,
Old 11-09-2004, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Doc and Tony

Hey simple..

Ouright driver ability..

Tony thanks for the email on the racing..

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 11-09-2004 at 01:19 PM..
Old 11-09-2004, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Levy Racing built FFR w/351W
Not Ranked     

Well, just a few facts to keep things in perspective.

First, Gary Patterson probably wasn't racing. He was instructing, I know for sure. If there was some sort of competition to be set up, I'm sure Gary would be available for a proper comparison. I have known Gary to just jump in the yellow car with tires that are far past their last good heat cycle and run the track for fun or instruction. Even then he shows respectible times.

Now, on the BD car. What time did you turn? What group did you run? You surely can't claim to be the fastest by passing all the beginners in the new-to-the-track Cobra only instruction group. Could you?

Spencer Sharp also drove my car and passed virtually everyone in HPDE 4. Turning a 2:03 in traffic. Again, what was your time? What group were you in? With slicks you should have passed all the Cobra track newbies.

I ran TTB in my Levy Racing built FFR. Got 1st place on Saturday and 2nd place on Sunday. Didn't see any BD's in the time trials.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

BDR=Baghdad Doc Racing?
Old 11-09-2004, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4100-Shelby 75th Anniversary Edition
Send a message via AIM to Cobra75
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you had fun...

Quote:
It is a full blown $200,000 original Shelby Cobra race car, not a $45,000 daily driver like mine.
...but that was a CSX7000 with a tired out 302 built by Nostalgia Motorcars in '99 with a blown out T10 4-speed
....so, although ol' Gary may have you go around him on the straights... I'm sure you didn't catch him in the turns.

BTW Doc, it was good talking to you at the Roundup BBQ.

Last edited by Cobra75; 11-09-2004 at 03:20 PM..
Old 11-09-2004, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     

Barts memory of the event matches mine.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Carter

Well, just a few facts to keep things in perspective.

First, Gary Patterson probably wasn't racing. He was instructing, I know for sure. If there was some sort of competition to be set up, I'm sure Gary would be available for a proper comparison. I have known Gary to just jump in the yellow car with tires that are far past their last good heat cycle and run the track for fun or instruction. Even then he shows respectible times.

Now, on the BD car. What time did you turn? What group did you run? You surely can't claim to be the fastest by passing all the beginners in the new-to-the-track Cobra only instruction group. Could you?

Spencer Sharp also drove my car and passed virtually everyone in HPDE 4. Turning a 2:03 in traffic. Again, what was your time? What group were you in? With slicks you should have passed all the Cobra track newbies.

I ran TTB in my Levy Racing built FFR. Got 1st place on Saturday and 2nd place on Sunday. Didn't see any BD's in the time trials.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No doubt Doc's car is well built and well sorted. It would appear from the statements here, fast as well.

Congratulations on that!

I don't know a lot about BDR's but it DOES appear a "standard" issue comes with an open differential. Now anybody thats been on the track knows how frustrating it can be to put the power down in a car like that, impossible!

Standard issue would also be a one to one trans, no way that trans and a 3.93 rear gear can do 130 mph, impossible!

So I would HAVE to conclude Docs very nice and well sorted car includes some important BDR options. I wonder if the car also includes the $4000 up-graded suspension?

Now wether it does or doesn't have these options, I actually LIKE the BDR concept and what there doing the market. It DOES appear to be a very well thought out car.

...just trying to get info on the specs on Docs car, thats all.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Excaliber

I don't know a lot about BDR's but it DOES appear a "standard" issue comes with an open differential. Now anybody thats been on the track knows how frustrating it can be to put the power down in a car like that, impossible!

Standard issue would also be a one to one trans, no way that trans and a 3.93 rear gear can do 130 mph, impossible!

So I would HAVE to conclude Docs very nice and well sorted car includes some important BDR options. I wonder if the car also includes the $4000 up-graded suspension?

...just trying to get info on the specs on Docs car, thats all.
The BDR comes with a standard E36 BMW 3.10 differential. It's an 80/20 unit that actually does put power down better than most think it does. The car mentioned has a 3.93 upgrade that runs $600.

No, it does not have the M3 upgrade which only contributes to lap times by way of brakes. Most of the package is just HD.

Reg uses Tremec 3550's and the car WILL do 130 mph with that tranny and the gear mentioned. The Tremec 5th is a true OD.

The car is also equiped with the same Gabriel shocks that are standard on all cars.

I can only say that the BDRs are very smooth and handle exeptionally well in stock form. I upgraded my car to the 3.91 but not due to a traction issue. 3.10 just wasn't my game. I turn very good lap times everywhere I go and it still rides on 15" T/A's. I also toss the keys to anyone who wants to drive it and the results are always the same. "Wow, I wish mine drove like that"

If the origional post was that an SPF wiped a BDR's whistle, you wouldn't have heard from 1/2 of the thread contributors. These cars will continue to provide fuel for this type of post, and in time, it too will earn respect for what it is, a great handling car. Until then, every post of this kind will be met with sceptisism and accusations of being a "ringer." Which is OK, it gives guys a reason to get their butts back out to the track and do it again.

I only wish more guys would participate in track days.

Boudy
Old 11-10-2004, 05:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

I am going to disagree with Boudy here! I would have posted to anyone that seems to come off as Hey I kicked the crap out of so and so and see how great these cars are now threads!...Thats what this sounded like...thats what it looked like...and it goes back to the same problems of people popping off....compare APPLES TO APPLES!

I will keep my opinions on the Backdraft cars to myself..>I don't own one nor have I driven one...but...don't put a post that Backdraft beats Shelby if you aren't even comparing like motors....good grief...Just put had a great time at the roundup and my car handled well! thats all you need to do....the topic of the post is what gets people pissed.

Do I like Shelby? NO? Would I have one..only a 2000 or 3000 unless you want to give me a 4000 or 7000.

Do I like Gary Patterson...ABSOLUTELY and he is one of the biggest car guys I know and has ridden with me in my ERA before...Just my 2 cents but you start with a controversy you get a controversy...thats what I tried to say back on page 1.

Matt
Old 11-10-2004, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #13 Cobra w/430 HP 392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Well gang I can tell you this about my car. It is STOCK as Reg and Tony built it in Reg's shop with the standard Tremec 3550 and the regular 325 BMW suspension and the Ford crate 392 storker motor (430 hp).

All I have done to the car was move the tremec shifter forward in the frontal position for better shifting, changed the rear end gears to 3:93 (80/20 version), which cost me $490 from Bemmer World (from the 3:45's that came stock in it), then I added some slotted rotors and better pads and the 17"wheels and Hoosiers.

No changes to the suspension or motor. All as it came from Reg in Florida.

Oh yes, I did replace the rear transmission mounting bracket to a heavier gauge pieve of angle iron for a bit stronger rear mount.

I am not a ringer, just an old guy having fun with a new toy. I ran in HDPE Group 1 just for fun and didn't have a transponder. I had no idea my car would have run that fast otherwise I might have rented one just to check the times. All I can tell you is that I kept running up the ass of everycar on the track in every turn. My Backdraft was simply out handling the others in front of me.

As for speed. I can assure my car with the tremec and the 3:93 gears will do the 130 and then some. I have hit 140 several times already and ran out of road for more.

Doc

Last edited by moneymanager; 11-10-2004 at 06:52 AM..
Old 11-10-2004, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 2189
Not Ranked     

Congrats on what appears to have been a lot of fun. The BDR with the BMW suspension sounds very interesting. It sounds like you have a heck of a well tuned car for a minimal amount of $$.

You may have positioned yourself as the poster child for BDR Racing. Good going.