Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doc;

Glad you had a ball on the track,nothing like it........But enjoy and savor the moment,it may be your last ...

My first open track event went something like yours,I was in the "novice" class which I should have been,having never driven on a road course before,no passing allowed,only follow the leader,if the car ahead of you is slower,then you just have to follow him or duck on pit road and wait for the cars to get by and go out again.......My third session out,I was on the "pole",they dropped the green flag and I "dropped the hammer" and took off,before lap five of a ten lap run,I had caught the tail end of the field,I thought I was Richard Petty......got out of the car with a grin two feet wide and proclaimed I had found my calling.........I soon found out it was only beginers luck.......Next day they moved me to the intermediate class where passing is allowed,well,to put it nicely,"they ate my lunch",better cars and better drivers,but I still had fun and enjoyed the compettion......
Next event I was running good,holding my own with some really good cars and drivers,then my carb swallowed some trash and would not run worth a darn,could not get it fixed so I had to park it for the day......been doing o-k since,but now I'm running with very good cars and very expeirenced drivers and learning the ropes so to speak,having a great time at it...........
Enjoy your success,because if your luck is like mine,the next time on the track may not be soo good........
Road racing,nothing like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and it usually lasts longer than sex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David
Old 11-12-2004, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

Heyyy David

Where you been hiding - haven't seen you around much !!
Old 11-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug;

Been busy building my 65 Mustang for Vintage Road Racing.......takes up all my weekends,hoping to have it ready for the 2005 season at NPR,they are going to start in 05 in Jan..a race in jan/feb/march,then the last three races in oct/nov/dec........
BTW:I think they are having race #5 this weekend,Winston called me the other day to go,but my car is not ready and my street car will not pass inspection for full compettion (no roll bar),and I do not make a very good spectator,so I'm working on my race car,may go to the dec. race and check out the compettion for next year.......

Hope the Texas bunch are planning a few days of track time early next year,could use the time on the track for testing and tuning, are you listening Jay/Keith?????????????

See you down the road......

David
Old 11-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

I think Doc should leave his money management position and start an Ad Agency. This thread has caused more controversy than the Dick Smith 198 mph saga and the eternal 289 v 427 debate, combined into one.

Keep up the good work, Doc. The Forum was getting a little stale.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

Hey David

Let me know if you're heading out that way, maybe we can be bad spectators.

Hey Doc - come on down to NPR !!! 1.8 mile track ~ 2:20 lap times. It's a good track for BDR's !! Nice scenery and real cajun food is all around.

I think Doc is havin' way to much fun with his new car. Drive on Doc - drive on !!

regards
Old 11-15-2004, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #13 Cobra w/430 HP 392 stroker
Not Ranked     

OK guys here thje latest...

ALL the changes and upgardes that I have done to my #13 Backdraft that has caused all the controversy. Ha

Take a look:
http://jmichael.info/Cobraupgrades.htm

Thanks guys for helping me have so such fun. Your comments have been MOST interesting. THANKS!

Doc
Old 11-15-2004, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #13 Cobra w/430 HP 392 stroker
Not Ranked     

OK guys here thje latest...

ALL the changes and upgardes that I have done to my #13 Backdraft that has caused all the controversy. Ha

Take a look:
http://jmichael.info/Cobraupgrades.htm

Thanks guys for helping me have so such fun. Your comments have been MOST interesting. THANKS!

Doc
Old 11-15-2004, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Well.. I harken back to my first post on page 1 dammit: BDR sucks! Just want to be sure that's on the record All your nay-sayers in here would love to say the same thing, so I'll just come out and say it for them.

Of course the one problem with my claim is that you're king of the last run. Details details...

Just know the watchful eyes of the Shelby nation are upon you the next time you hit the track!

Until then, enjoy the view

-John
Old 11-15-2004, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, EFI 306 with a little boost
Not Ranked     

Gee this is a long thread, so I guess that I will add my 2 cents seeing that I know a little bit about the event. First I would like to thank Gary Patterson who really helped our group on Saturday. Gary spent time showing the novices the line and picked up the pace on every lap. This group was set up as a Cobra only novice level run group. Half of the guys on the track were first timers, never been on a track before in their lives, so as far as they were concerned, they were all the fastest on the track. We had a great line up of instructors that day, Tom Banard, Gordon Levy, Jonathan Blevins, Dave Smith and Dick Smith were there. For the most part everyone had a blast and are eager to try it again. Traffic was backed up for most of the event because NASA allowed us to run the group with instructors and single roll bars as long as it was kept at a reduced speed.
Everyone pretty much followed to the rules except Spenser Sharp, driving Doc's car. I guess that nobody explained to him the difference between HPDE level 1 and race groups. Here he is blasting around the track, passing in the turns, cutting people off, the car equipped with single hoop roll bar. NASA did notice and I hope they take proper action. I am sure that this will influence NASA's roll bar decision on any future events. Except for this the event was incident free. A few of the cars may have a few more paint chips and I personally am trying to figure out the 720 degree turn at the end of the main straight that ends in a dust cloud.
Here is a link to my trip through the dirt, I call it Toooooo Hot and Wrong Line
http://www.chuckscobra.20megsfree.com/myspin.mpg