Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2005, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1404 KC 482 GENESIS
Not Ranked     

Cobrak, I could go on but it wouldn't accomplish anything. Lets leave it at someone posted a question and I gave a honest answer. Thanks
Old 01-31-2005, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of BDR 127......
Not Ranked     
Default Cobrak

Some of the issues Todd mentions were known issues that Reg and the factory fixed and/or improved upon and others seem to be unique to his car. The good news is that the paint issues, windshield and most of the body issues have been worked out.

Some of the early cars had springs issues and header issues. The brake light switch has been problematic, but costs around $8 for the new part.

As I stated early, all of these cars will have their little hiccups, the key is the after sale support. IMO, this is where BDR has excelled. Some of the people who did their own installs versus buying turn-key through a BDR dealer seemed to have had a steeper learning curve (headers for example). Agina, to my knowledge most of what Todd has stated has been corrected and quality control has also gone up.

I did have winshield problems. The day I picked mine up from the shop, it cracked in three places on my 85 mile ride home. Reg and the dealer upgraded me to the $895 brass/ chrome plated windshield for free, due to some of the issues they have experienced.

I think the key is research what ever brand you are interested in here on CC. Via that, you will learn about all the various bugs related to your model, which in turn will help you better 'project manage' your build - whether you do it yourself or through the dealer. Thanks to the posts here, I was aware of a lot of these problems and bugged my dealer weekly to ensure I would avoid them. The end result is, outside of the windshield issue, I had no problems with my car and I am very happy.

I am dragging on and on, so happy to talk to you offline if you need more help and perspective on BDR.

Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's addressed to someone else.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:04 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Paul,
See my post in the brake light thread... they are now using a mechanical switch under the dash instead of the fluid pressure switch.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft racing #111 351 hot
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Just to add to this thread a few comments about my BDR and the experiences I've had with it. First the support from California Cobra ( Armond ) has been more than exceptional. I had an MSD with a short in it that needed replacing and Armond drove over 250 miles with his trailer to pick up the car rather than subjecting me to being stranded on the side of the road somewhere.
To me that makes a statement of character and trust not easily found these days.
The fit and finish on my car is amazing from door and hood tolerences to the Corsa Rossa red paint. Armond and his crew did an outstanding install on the special built Smeddings engine and tranny, adding many extra components to the engine bay I was not expecting.
The car has been in numerous car shows and trophied many times against some pretty hefty competition.
I looked at many options before making my purchasing decision and thought that Superformance was an amazing car along many others but that the BDR was alot of bang for the buck, especially as a turnkey car for around $40+K.
I've owned and raced many cars over the years including a number of Porsches, an NSX and even a Ferrari but I've have never had so much fun as driving my dream and meeting fellow "Cobra" enthusiasts, no matter what brand they drive. Thanks Carrol for making your dream ours.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #139, Indigo blue, white stripes, KeithCraft 351W, 315 WHP, 17" Boyd Smoothies, dual roll bars, gunrack, assorted young females
Not Ranked     

It appears from previous postings that BDR buyers after #139 have benefitted from my bad experiences (there seems to be a dark cloud over #139 that sucks up other cars' problems) and are thoroughly enjoying their rides.

Without going into detail, try windshield cracking before delivery, starter failure at 19 miles, speedo cable failure at 47 miles, wheel falls off at 52 miles, turn signals go wonky at 100 miles, shelled engine at 110 miles, paint job destryed by barbed wire at 1100 miles, ragtop still on the water, my BDR dealer now out of business.

Reg, Tony, and former dealer Boudy still very supportive, just having poblems with having most of my support in a different time zone.

Would I buy another BDR?

HELL YES!!!

In a heartbeat!

In fact, I'm quietly sniffing around for a BDR FI 302 Auto for the Old Lady for car shows and rallies. Gunrack scares her.

Scares me too, usually.

UT
Old 02-28-2005, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have car #33. Backdraft was just starting out when I started shopping. I met Reg in Carlisle of PA. He's the only reason I bought. If he ever left, I would question the company. He seemed to keep it together. I don't know if they are still changing the cars as fast as they were when I purchased, but I saw a least 50 things change from when I ordered mine, to when I actually got it. I think many of my questions and concerns kept things changing. I truely was a guinea pig. I like to research and overanalyze everything, so I was on the phone or e-mailed weekly. When I did get the car after it being 2 months later than agreed upon, I found a ton of problems. My top was lost, the front needed repainted, they didn't have correct headers for a 351, so they needed to be made here in the states. They were still trying to figure out how to make a heater to fit, so that came about 7 months late, the turn signal didn't work(like many of you have already stated), the clutch went out leaving me stranded. The master cylinder drained out leaving me stranded, the fit of the hood is horrible. I think your cars now have some type of rubber grommet to hold it so it doesn't rub. The hood handle broke. The trunk handle broke. My alternater just fried, and my master cylinder again drained out. My spark plug wires are too close to the headers and keep melting. I know I need ceramic. The latest is the snaps on the top are pulling out of the car. I know I've forgoten many other things (I try to block it out). I'm the running joke to many of my friends.
I'm sure many more things will go wrong. I say - so what. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! Nothing is perfect. I knew going into it that these are not factory made by the tens of thousands. Hopefully they will keep improving the cars and listening to all of you. My hope is that they are still around and have a better one about 15 years from now so that I can give mine to my son and buy a better one or maybe two :-).
Scott
Old 02-28-2005, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

I cant help but find it amazing that two people with that many factory or dealer defects could say they would buy another in a "heartbeat". I would have to consider other options if that were my case,and one good option it would seem ,would be to seek out a used Superformance with a few thousand shake down miles at a steep discount. I do not own either car but I have never heard of such problems with an SPF car. chuck
Old 03-01-2005, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Chuck,

One reason we may not hear of such problems is that Superformance does not have its own forum here. They enjoy the privacy of their own website. Also, remember that Backdraft is a new product that is shaking out the bugs. Superformance has been around awhile. I think it speaks volumes that two "disgruntled" people would purchase another in a heartbeat. That tells me that the after purchase service is outstanding.

David
Old 03-01-2005, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #139, Indigo blue, white stripes, KeithCraft 351W, 315 WHP, 17" Boyd Smoothies, dual roll bars, gunrack, assorted young females
Not Ranked     

Chuck- I am crazy, not stupid.

My BDR dealer (now defunct) in Dallas has volunteered his own time to fit my ragtop and try to fix my turn-signal problem.

My vinyl top is lost in the Bermuda Triangle, I guess.

These are my guys.

I guess we are BDR guys.

Gunrack is more auto than I have ever owned...

She runs faster than a Striped-assed-ape and corners like a weasel in a drainpipe.

We'll fix the turn signals and the windscreen wipers.

Gunrack is a driver, but I will display her in shows, with pride, and hand out BDR literature.

Buy a BDR again? I'm looking for a used mellow BDR with auto tranny for Momma.

UT
Old 03-01-2005, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 930, 427 Windsor T56
Not Ranked     

I would buy another.

Have Fun!

BDR #930
08 Corvette Coupe
92 Sunburst Yellow Miata
#81 Saturn V Miata Crapcan racer
Panoz GTRA #42
Old 03-01-2005, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 302 AFR 165
Not Ranked     

Any problems I have had where easily rectified? Reg has been on my side with any problems that I have had. Some of the problems that I'm reading about can happen to any car "alternator, clutch ect". My car is no. 94 and my paint and finish are great. I've had more fun and learned more about cars owning my BDR than any car I've owned. If you want a BDR buy one. If you want a SPF buy one. I guarantee that you will be happy.

hell I read a car and driver article about a Roush motor blowing up in a SPF Coupe. Happens to the best of us. Just buy it and enjoy it.

Later Dennis
Old 08-11-2015, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not to revive a very old thread but I am wondering if these sentiments still hold true. If you had to do it all over again, would you buy another BDR?
Old 08-11-2015, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 176/408ci
Not Ranked     

I've owned one for 3 years and have had no problems with the car. I did some work on the motor, which did not have the correct cam for the street and I added a limited slip diff., and now its quite nice to drive.
eunosracr likes this.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

The irony is the original poster not only bought 1 Backdraft, but he is on his second. So that's the story there.

The other items ... pros and cons that people have highlighted have switched up considerably. Will leave that to owners to discuss though.
eunosracr and BADSN8K like this.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD - BDR 1381 Artic White/Silver Stripes / Coyote 5.0
Not Ranked     
Default Would you buy another BDR?

Yes I would and I did.

On my second BDR with the 5.0 Coyote motor.
BADSN8K likes this.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have car #525, bought in 2008. The only real problem I found was with the paint, and the doors and hood were slightly off center. I have indigo blue with steel gray stripes. Found light spray in some areas and not deep enough on the whole car. Small scraches would go all the way to the white primer and they were hard to cover with touch up. Having the car repainted now, some fiberglass problems, same color. Otherwise the BMW suspension is great.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR354/FMS392
Not Ranked     

Yes, I would buy a Backdraft again and I will get another some day. I have now had BDR354 for a little over 9 years. Still a great car. I do like some of the newer cars options. My next BDR will be puchased from Jay.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Question for the owners.... would you trade power brakes to get power steering?
Old 08-11-2015, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BD 1445 Coyote TKO 600 3.91
Not Ranked     

Just waiting for Jay to hook a Brother up!

VINTAGE Motorsports Photo Gallery - Backdraft #1445

Tic Toc!
eunosracr likes this.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#1344/Dart SBF 427
Not Ranked     

I would buy another one. Had mine, 1344, for a little over a year now. Some small issues here and there but all resolved pretty quickly and the car is a blast to drive. I'm certainly a fan.
eunosracr likes this.