Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Would you buy a BDR Cobra again

I am considering buying a BDR cobra. Should I buy one? Any positive or negative feed back would be greatly apreciated. One of my concerns is how mature the product is. Have they worked all the bugs out yet? Are any BDRs built the same yet?

Cobrak
Old 01-26-2005, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: sold BDR #123 351w, Tko 17" full polished wheels
Not Ranked     

Cobrak,

Yep, If I had to do it again I would buy a BDR. The help and support you get from Frank and Reg is great. Are their cars perfect? No. But when problems arise they will help you out.
As far as changes in the cars I think any good manufacturer will make changes to improve their product. For the price you pay for what you get Backdraft is hard to beat. IMHO
David
Old 01-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Another BDR owner in this area would like to come and see the cars to compare to his. You want to try and setup a time you can both be here to fire questions?
BDR0572 likes this.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft # 91, Black w/White stripes and Red Rookie's, 302 w/AFR 185's.
Not Ranked     

I've built 2...instead of building #3, I decided on a BDR. My buddy bought one and after examining it...I bought one. This car is a no-brainer. You will have minor tweeks..no matter which car you decide on. There is more to go wrong with your drive train than any other part of the car. Since this is as close to a factory complete as you can get...the only items that have the potential for failure is the motor/trans. I think you will really be impressed with the solid feel and handling...especially if you choose the 16 or 17" wheels. I have 15's but my friend had 16's...wow what a difference...I would also suggest a 302 or 347. These sound so good and run so cool...easy to work on....plenty of room in the engine bay. I think the package is well priced and dropping in the engine is no big deal. My worst problem with my other builds was the paint/body. I agree the support from Reg and the staff is great. I priced a kit about 6 months ago...I was at 19K without engine,tires/wheels,trans or paint/body. To do a complete car on a budget be prepared to do it all....and I mean all!!!!! Thats why the BDR looks so good. You can order it in any color and if you really want to personalize it...put the drive train in yourself....
Old 01-27-2005, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178
Not Ranked     

I would definately buy a BDR again. I was like you when shopping around: lots to look at and lots of questions. This website is definately a "plus" when it comes to researching.
I brought my BDR on complete faith just by listening to people the people on this websight discuss info about the BDR, what your $$ buys for you, and how pleased they have been.
Where's Sandy Hook located?
Old 01-27-2005, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: blue apparition
Not Ranked     

hi guys. California Cobra is here at Barrett Jackson and they have a turn key option for the Backdraft. 351W powerplant for 42,500. I haven't been pricing them lately as its just not feasible but this seems to be a really good price w/ powerplant IMO. I have some promo material that quotes prices if I can find it among the myriad of other material I brought to the hotel. While there are some small things that aren't 'period' I think it looks great. Full IRS (jag) and a host of other goodies. Go for it!!! Living vicariously through you.

all the best,
wahoo
Old 01-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Wahoo

hi guys. California Cobra is here at Barrett Jackson and they have a turn key option for the Backdraft... Full IRS (jag) and a host of other goodies.
Just to clarify the BDR is BMW based and does not employ Jag pieces. Thanks for the update.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 392
Not Ranked     
Default BDR

I own #108 with a 392 ford crate motor and tremec and am very pleased with the car and would highly recomend it to anyone . Reg and Frank down in F L A were a pleasure to deal with.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:02 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cobrak,

I have bought my second one, I sold my other a couple months back. I really enjoy these cars. I'm a little taller than most so the extra inch or so really helps. Looking at these newer BDR's they have some better paint jobs, or it seems to me. If you have any questions or problems give me an email at blittleton2@insightbb.com.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#078,408 Dart Block, TKO 600,Indigo Blue, White Stripe
Send a message via Yahoo to JayBar
Not Ranked     

I built a FFR. Went to a car show and parked next to a BDR. I walked around compairing feature to feature add as a result the following Monday I drove to Pembroke Pines (their old location) and took one for a test drive.

Three weeks later I ordered a BDR and sold my FFR. I couldn't be happier.

AS a side note ,the guy that bought my FFR checked out the BDR website after I told him how much I liked mine. He called Reg and Frank and as a result flew into town a week later and bought one they had in stock. Then he sold my FFR.

And yes I would buy another one.
lomdel likes this.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1158, BDR #180
Not Ranked     

#180 is "broken" right now. It's got a leaking head gasket (that's the theory) and I haven't had any time to work on it. When Reg heard about it, he called just to say that they will get it fixed "no matter what". He's great to work with. I'm going to look at it this weekend and see what needs to be done.

Would I buy another one? In a heartbeat! I think the cars are quality and the support from Reg has been been top notch.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 302 AFR 165
Not Ranked     
Default BDR

Yes I would buy another BDR. The Reason I would is because I know if I need something Reg will go out of his way to help me. The customer service has been great. My car has not been perfect but any problems have been resolved timely. i would problably opt for the upgrade suspension or 17 inch wiheels, but I have not drove a car with either options.

I do like other manufacturers cars to. I've considered buying a SPF but I have three kids and a mortgage. I like the SPF because of the interior and standard equipment. A local speed shop owner showed me both of his and they are very nice. The BDR can fit any budget.

later Dennis
Old 01-27-2005, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 165 392 Ford Crate 430HP
Not Ranked     

Since this is my first kit.. I dont have anything to compare to.. so far I am happy with car and would buy another one if for some reason I needed to, I have never been to a car show yet where I was sitting next to a Super Performance to compare actual features but for the price I paid I am happy..
Old 01-27-2005, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 351/408 stroker - TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Just bought BDR #196. Test drive scheduled for February 3rd. Then shipping it home provided its everything I think it will be. Reg and Frank have been awesome to work with. Good luck with your purchase...
ront49 likes this.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of BDR 127......
Not Ranked     

Cobrak,

I have #127. In short, yes I would buy another one. My best friend is about to put one on order, thanks to being lulled into love with my car.

As mentioned, none of the manufacturers is perfect. They each have their own specific warts. The key is the supprt you get after you take delivery. As you can see, nothing but good words about Reg and his dealers.

Someone mentioned the paint and body work and that it is getting better. This is definitely true. Let's be clear, it was not 'bad' to begin with, but they are looking smoother with less circles and ghost marks. That was the one area I had issue with, so I ordered mine unpainted and had a little extra time put into the body and then painted at a shop down in San Diego, near the BDR dealer.

I have had mine next to an SPF, ERA, Unique, CSX4000, NAF and others. I always get great comments about the look and how well it is put together. Let's face it, all of these cars are beautiful and in the end it is how you feel about it that counts.

Unless you really feel strongly about another manufacturer, go for it. You won't regret it.

Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's addressed to someone else.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Cobrak,

I own Backdraft #90. It is a terrific car and I would definitely buy another one.

I have watched the later cars as they arrived at my dealer, California Cobra. Each one is slightly different as they make improvements. Some of the differences are because of what the customers ordered, but there are ever changing production changes as well.

The only thing I would do differently is perhaps order it in primer only. That way I could have my local bodyshop paint it exactly how I want it. Other than that, maybe 17" wheel option, M3 package (bigger brakes and sport suspension), and a more powerful engine. I guess I am like a lot of guys. I thought 400hp would be enough, but 500 now sounds better.

If you want the traditional look, the 15" wheels are great. The stock suspension is excellent and the brakes are certainly powerful enough without paying the upgrade. It depends on your budget and what you want to do with the car.

After much research, it still appears to be the most car for your money!

Skip
Old 01-31-2005, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Re: BDR

Quote:
Originally posted by jmkkingpin

I own #108 with a 392 ford crate motor and tremec and am very pleased with the car and would highly recomend it to anyone . Reg and Frank down in F L A were a pleasure to deal with.
Is the car streetable with the 392?

cobrak
Old 01-31-2005, 08:04 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

I think you'll have to share your definition of streetable since it will vary from person to person.

The Ford 392 is a relatively "mild" powerplant when you consider some of the options out there so it is a good street motor. You can also adjust the tune on motors to make them tamer for the street with the option to always crank them up for any track events or in the pursuit of more pull.
ront49 likes this.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1404 KC 482 GENESIS
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't buy another. Car looked great from 10 feet but up close had some overspray issues. I could never get the slip on side pipes to seal properly and didn't like the noise they made due to the leaks. Car felt like the windshield was going to break when i hit a bump it was so rough. I had to put 3 layers of weatherstrip around the doors so you couldn't see light through as the gap was that large.Rear brake lights never works and front lights pointed to the ground even adjusted all the way up so I basically couldn't safely drive at night. Just found out from current owner that the yoke that holds the driveshaft to the rearend just broke. I'm not here to bash BDR but someone asked a honest question and I'm giving a honest answer. I would hope other forum members would give me the same courtesy. I will also add that when I called Reg for paint info he had some touch up paint sent from South Africa for me. He is a class act . I just had issues with car 93.
BDR0572 likes this.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Todd;

The problems you had were plentyful enough to make you sell it and by a Superformance?

Cobrak

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: