Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2015, 04:15 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just bought one, number #231 (for some reason my "hello new owner thread is still pending to be posted and approved by admins.:/)

I know its still to early to say, but I would definitely buy another BDR over any other.

Not to get this thread off topic but does anybody know what happen to California Cobra (Armond). Bushwhacker posted about them in this thread, and was curious as my car is from California Cobra and they are no longer around.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Armond had a falling out with the DMV back in 2009. The woman who was registering his cars with the DMV was doing it incorrectly using salveged vin numbers and keeping a good amount of the tax money that we paid for herself, she was busted by the CHP and DMV. All the cars that she registered, which were all the cars he had sold, the plates were recalled and we had to then go through SB100. The CHP almost took our cars away because of what this woman did.The woman went to court and got a slap on the hand but never repaid the money we lost
Old 08-12-2015, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great info guys thanks so much. The overall sentiment that BDR owners would do it all again really makes me feel great about my purchase.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:29 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gallegos View Post
Armond had a falling out with the DMV back in 2009. The woman who was registering his cars with the DMV was doing it incorrectly using salveged vin numbers and keeping a good amount of the tax money that we paid for herself, she was busted by the CHP and DMV. All the cars that she registered, which were all the cars he had sold, the plates were recalled and we had to then go through SB100. The CHP almost took our cars away because of what this woman did.The woman went to court and got a slap on the hand but never repaid the money we lost
Thank you for this info. This explains a lot and why I have a different vin number then the regular bdr one (stamp on chassie vs CaCobra plaque)
Old 08-13-2015, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1333, Smeding 427
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't rule it out but I wouild definitely look at competitive options very closely before committing to a second BDR. The cars look great, are comfortable, handle great, etc. etc.

My issue is with the lack of owner support from Backdraft. Dealers are great, and IMO they have to be otherwise they wouldn't sell any cars because Backdraft itself does the square root of **** to support owners. The dealers should be your advocate, they don't get extra points for standing behind the product. It's nice to hear the stories of dealers going above and beyond, but in a way it is a reflection on how little Backdraft itself does.

But whatever complaints I have about Backdraft, the fact remains that is the last thing I am thinking about when I'm out driving it. I would buy another, for sure, but based on what I know now I would give other mfg'ers a much closer look.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BD 1445 Coyote TKO 600 3.91
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnolan View Post
I wouldn't rule it out but I wouild definitely look at competitive options very closely before committing to a second BDR. The cars look great, are comfortable, handle great, etc. etc.

My issue is with the lack of owner support from Backdraft. Dealers are great, and IMO they have to be otherwise they wouldn't sell any cars because Backdraft itself does the square root of **** to support owners. The dealers should be your advocate, they don't get extra points for standing behind the product. It's nice to hear the stories of dealers going above and beyond, but in a way it is a reflection on how little Backdraft itself does.

But whatever complaints I have about Backdraft, the fact remains that is the last thing I am thinking about when I'm out driving it. I would buy another, for sure, but based on what I know now I would give other mfg'ers a much closer look.

Jeff

Sounds like you had a bad experience and maybe bought from the wrong dealer. I chose Jay and Brian at VMS over others based on the number of reviews I read, and my install a Coyote. I believe mine will be their 40th Coyote.

When it came to selecting options, I never felt like I being sold an option that I didnt need, in fact thought I needed some options ($3000 brakes) and based on their experience I ended up saving money.

My car should arrive at their facility on Monday. I am another 4 weeks away. It will be my 2nd Cobra and I went this route because I liked the look, read the reviews, talked to several owners and rode in one. I did talk to other MFGers as well.... some didnt even return calls and others just bad mouthed their competition.

Good luck...
eunosracr likes this.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

actually I had a good experience with Millerspeed. Alistair doesn't get as much attention as the others who are frequently highlighted in these forums, but I would challenge anyone here to put their car against mine for delivery fit and finish.

Alistair knows custom cars and when he delivers the car it has the chassis perfectly set up and every detail is taken care of. He did extra things for me like move my steering column for better header clearance. I didn't ask him to do this, he saw it would be a problem eventually and that's how he does things, he builds the car as though he is building it for himself.

I can call him with a question and he will always answer and provide exhustive detail on how Backdraft builds the cars and where the parts come from. If he wasnt' 450 miles away from me, I'd probably drop in once a week just to have coffee with him.

But you miss the point I'm making, as good as the dealers I can't help but contrast that with how little Backdraft does. Superformance puts customer service and supporting their owners as an important part of their business, Backdraft could care less about owners beyond getting paid.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gallegos View Post
Not all of us that bought our cars through Ca Cobra registered our cars this way. I went the SB100 way and still had trouble. I did not lose the tax/registration money. In fact the state of CA sent my money back and had me reapply even though I did everything right. I was just "guilty by association". Later the DMV actually wondered why I was asked to surrender my title. Duh! I told them that several times over. But, no one listened in Sacramento for a long long time. It took 11 months, but finally worked out.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm on my second backdraft. these cars have their issues but all kit cars do. IMO the backdraft has the best looking body and curves of any the manufacturers and I love the BMW underpinning in terms of drivetrain, brakes, etc.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #648 351w/385hp
Not Ranked     
Default Buying another BDR cobra

I've got 13,000 plus trouble free miles on mine and it's still very reliable. I would definitly buy another one.
csw and BDR_Boy like this.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:20 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

I was having an issue on my backdraft. I called vintage who built my car about 4 years ago at I believe 6pm and Jay answered, and immediately directed me to Brian, who built the car. He explains the ignition wiring that they did, push button should be ground which led to me figuring out the wiring problem. These cars are very straight forward, insanely sturdy/solid frame, good wiring, and they really are many steps above the other replicas that are in the same price range and more in almost all aspects (other than "originality").

Not only would I buy again if I had to do it over again, but almost just as importantly, I would buy from a reputable dealer like vintage/revolicty.
eunosracr and BDR_Boy like this.

Last edited by itstock; 10-25-2015 at 11:31 AM..
Old 08-09-2018, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     

Resurrection !!

After my track time this week, I'd buy two more in a second.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

I don't recall seeing this thread before and I read it in its entirety from 2005!! Some interesting stuff from other owners.
I got my car in 2012 from Vintage. It has been a fun car to own, not unlike the motorcycles that I had for many years prior to getting the BDR. However, there is no doubt that it would not have been nearly as much fun had I not gotten it from Jay/Brian. It runs beautifully. In addition, the car is well-constructed by Backdraft and solid, a joy to drive.
I certainly would get another one but only from VMS.
BDR_Boy and Dstyles75 like this.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft / Coyote Motor
Not Ranked     

I bought BDR #1448 two years ago, I would buy a second in a heartbeat.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

My first time seeing this thread also… and I too read it completely.

I have no regrets. I have #509… that came from the collection of… and had been set up for racing by… the late Jay Nordstrom… although to my knowledge Jay never actually got to race it. The styling of the body isn’t 100% true to the original… but for my tastes… I like the way it looks.

The car is well built… is somewhat versatile when it comes to engine/transmission combos… and gets high marks from local, long time hot rodders. For example, my tonneau cover had been lost… so I bought another and had a local speed shop line up and install the snaps on the new cover. He’s been in the business for 40+ years and is very well respected within the community. While he had it in his shop… he took an opportunity to look it over. He was very impressed with the build quality… and given the quality of the rods he’s constructed for his customers… that spoke volumes.

I can agree with some of the sentiment being posted regarding the support owners get out of Boynton Beach. It is… at best… minimal. To read that BDR “excelled” at “after sale support” in 2005 was indeed a surprise… although that may have been a dealer and not the guys in Florida. That’s where dealers like VMS and Radical Roadsters have stepped in nicely. Makes me wish THEY were the owners and not the dealers… as the support they offer… should be what Boynton Beach offers. Fortunately… my car has been rock solid… and has required little in the way of support from Florida.

Every car… from every manufacturer… will have teething problems. The fact that people who experienced problems would buy another is telling. That said… I would also buy another one… but it would be from a dealer… like VMS… that has a proven track record for reliability in their builds… and supports the Customer after the sale.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Delete, nothing to add

Last edited by jeffnolan; 08-10-2018 at 09:19 PM..
Old 08-13-2018, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #1644
Not Ranked     

I purchased BDR #1644 over a year ago and have enjoyed 1,600 miles of it so far! For the price - I like the subtle BDR style updates, the leg room!, BMW features, and overall quality of materials. I purchased mine from Vintage Motorsports and the experience has been fantastic - I receive personalize attention any time I reach out to them.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am on my second Backdraft Cobra, both have been absolutely trouble free, the current one is BDR #1399 with all the finishing touches and drivetrain installed by Vintage Motorsports. If the right opportunity came along to sell my current one I would be down seeing Jay and Brian to order my 3rd Chassi tomorrow, It was a fun time while it was getting built as I am lucky enough to live 45 miles from them and they are great to work with and the customer service is second to none!!
lomdel likes this.