Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffko
I am going for the MT Streets myself. I can't trailer the car to the track so they are the next best thing.
I have heard the MT Steets are suppose to be the best thing going in a street tire. I was planning on the MT Slicks... supposed to be pretty decent. I have another problem however... the 15" rims dont clear my rear brakes... looks like I am going to have to use 16's.... there goes another 10th of my 60 ft times!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra, 427SO 2x4's, 630HP/600TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax1
I have heard the MT Steets are suppose to be the best thing going in a street tire. I was planning on the MT Slicks... supposed to be pretty decent. I have another problem however... the 15" rims dont clear my rear brakes... looks like I am going to have to use 16's.... there goes another 10th of my 60 ft times!
I
As a suggestion; I would find out what spline axles you have before I went out and invested in pure drag slicks. If they are not at least 31 spline (preferrably 33's) you can pretty much count on wiping out the rear, (or parts there-in) upon launch with straight slicks. And if you insist on buying straight slicks, then you might as well buy drag rims (WELD is good brand), so the slicks can be screwed to the rim. Other wise you can't lower the tire pressure enough to take advantage of the slick's ripple wall without the tire slipping on the rim and you've accomplished little. Path of least resistance for a street car with occasional trips to the drags is M/T ET Street Radials for the strip, on a stock rim dropped to around 14#'s and go have fun with pretty good traction. (Unless you got a deep wallet for busted parts.) IMHO
Old 01-11-2007, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnd
I
As a suggestion; I would find out what spline axles you have before I went out and invested in pure drag slicks. If they are not at least 31 spline (preferrably 33's) you can pretty much count on wiping out the rear, (or parts there-in) upon launch with straight slicks. And if you insist on buying straight slicks, then you might as well buy drag rims (WELD is good brand), so the slicks can be screwed to the rim. Other wise you can't lower the tire pressure enough to take advantage of the slick's ripple wall without the tire slipping on the rim and you've accomplished little. Path of least resistance for a street car with occasional trips to the drags is M/T ET Street Radials for the strip, on a stock rim dropped to around 14#'s and go have fun with pretty good traction. (Unless you got a deep wallet for busted parts.) IMHO
Thanks for the help... I am an x road racer and have very little experiance with 1/4 mile runs. The rear end was modified by a local race shop for drag use so I hope it will take the abuse. I have been looking into drag rims as well. Thanks for the tip on the tire pressure... that should be a big help. Looks like I will be running the 315/17 Nitto Drag Radials until I get things sorted out. I spoke to an M/T rep yesterday and they are planning on introducing a 315/35/17 this spring which sounds like the ticket for the street.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #177 Carbed Ford Small Block
Not Ranked     

Max, check with Summit on the rims. You can probably get a set of 15" rims with the corrct backspacing (4.75" I think) for about $120. ETs should be around $180 each. My estimation is that you will gain .5 second with drag radial vs BFGs. Gotta get those 60' times down to the 1.75s area in order to get the best times of what your car is capable of.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Max, check with Summit on the rims. You can probably get a set of 15" rims with the corrct backspacing (4.75" I think) for about $120. ETs should be around $180 each. My estimation is that you will gain .5 second with drag radial vs BFGs. Gotta get those 60' times down to the 1.75s area in order to get the best times of what your car is capable of.
You are right on with the 4.75 back-spacing, but 15's will not clear the M3 brake calipers... gotta go with 16's. The nitrous guy is taking his time... probably will not get my car back until the end of next week... i will pst times asap!
Old 01-13-2007, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Max, did you ever get those build sheets. It seems as though you had an entire M3 rear suspension installed. I was considering the same thing until I heard that BDR may be updating the suspension in the 2007 cars. Maybe I can get in on Jay's 2008 new year sale.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First time with BFG drag radials and ran a 11.62 at 118, but drag radials were slipping about half as much as the T/A used to in 1st, 2nd and a little in 3rd with 20psi....dropped tire pressure to 16psi and broke another half-shaft at a 1500 rpm release I think the next run would have been well under 11.5!

It was fun while it lasted.

Going back to the T/A's and enjoying this season. This winter's project is a Ford 8.8", limited slip, 3.73, IRS. Will also change to 17" rims for better tire selection in road race events.

The BMW IRS is good for what BDR intended, but not for what I intend.

Anyone interested I have a deal on some 325/50/15 BFG drag radials with less than 100 miles. Also would sell the 15" Team 3 wheels with the BFG tires and about 4000 miles on them.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra, 427SO 2x4's, 630HP/600TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
First time with BFG drag radials and ran a 11.62 at 118, but drag radials were slipping about half as much as the T/A used to in 1st, 2nd and a little in 3rd with 20psi....dropped tire pressure to 16psi and broke another half-shaft at a 1500 rpm releaseAnyone interested I have a deal on some 325/50/15 BFG drag radials with less than 100 miles. Also would sell the 15" Team 3 wheels with the BFG tires and about 4000 miles on them.
Jeffko:

Pretty good ET's.... and you're right, it's a lot of fun.

I may be able to help you out with a buyer on the Team 3 rims (depends on backspacing) and I might discuss the BFG's with you for my car; althought I am not sure they will fit on my car and into a trailer that I am in the process of buying.

Kindly PM me with a phone number and i will call you to discuss.

Thanks,

Bernie
Old 05-17-2007, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have listed below what my tires and wheels are.

BFG T/A Tires:

Front = 245/50/15

Rear = 295/50/15

Team3 Wheels 4.5” bolt circle:

Front = 8” 4.5” back space

Back = 10” 5.75” back space
Old 05-31-2007, 12:39 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Paint:Metalflakes Royal and Abalone stripes registered in France in 1973. Engine: Ford Shelby aluminium block, 482; two 4-barrels 600cfm Holley; Edelbrock Performer Aluminium heads,,fluid damper,4-speeds Aluminium Toploader (short), 2.88rear
Send a message via Skype™ to BOURRET
Not Ranked     

I learned a lot from these posts.
I have a 2.88 LSD, a 482 Shelby alu block , a Toploader (short ratio) . I end my runs in 3rd gear. I ran with Hoosier 15" DOT street legal tyres.
Here is my best time this year, at Lanas, in May 2007:

N.B. : 179km/hr = 111 mph

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: