Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

here we go again...

this is a great forum of knowledge, observations, and opinions...really now, a few posts like these hardly clutters up anything...just keeps some eyes and ears open and the mind working...nothing wrong with that in this country, last I checked!
BTW, a man that has posted 300 plus times to the forum should be the last one complaining about cluttering things up...unless of course your clutter is more important!
No ones forces you to read a thread...should there be censorship? Should one keep their thoughts bottled up, unless they help sell more Backdraft's?
I don't think so. Maybe some people are educated in their decision making process because of this clutter.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I used spring clasps ,welded on, to connect the sidepipes and headers and then band clamped the clasp handle so it would'nt pop free. Then used heat wrap around all the individule header pipes and wraped it around the connection point, stuffing pieces of the heat wrap in the gaps.

It helped immensly with the heat from the headers and cut down alot of header noise. Heat reduction was approx 30%. Noise reduction about the same and now I can listen to the sweet sounds of the sidepipes roar and when you do get the pleasure of working on a car that thousands of people who can't ever afford to buy, as we did, when you are checking the timing , it does'nt get as hot.

I too had issues with my BDR, but came to find that I love to work on these things. problem solving is in our blood enjoy it! I've met alot of helpful people who own cobras, hotrods, or none at all who just want the simple pleasure of helping fix a cobra.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #293, 351W/382 cu.in./400hp
Not Ranked     
Default Feeling Your Pain

Uncle Todd,

I understand where you are coming from. My BDR dealer went out of business shortly after I bought the car. I have dropped thousands into my car since I took possession of a brand new #293, including a few things that would be considered Backdraft warranty items and the rest being things in the engine recommended by the BDR dealer. No upgrades -- just maintenance. I drive mine every day.

It's a matter of adjusting expectations. I do not expect BDR to be Ford or BMW. I have worked with small businesses all my life and it's a tough gig. Sometimes you don't get to all the phone calls. Sometimes you don't make everyone happy. I knew all this going in. So, when my clutch fails due to a poorly design actuator implementation, I pay for a local custom shop to put in something completely different, run new lines, install a new clutch. Sure I called BDR and was informed that the engine and tranny were my responsibility. I couldn't get accross that the clutch failed due to their design issues.

But, I fixed it and wrote it off as a lesson. If I'm buying a custom car from a small organization, there are risks. I am willing to absorb those risks. This way, I can enjoy the car. Further, you may call me naive, but I think all people are basically good. I think BDR is doing its best. When someone is doing their best, it's good enough for me -- even if it doesn't solve my problems.

Sorry about the lecture. I just didn't want you to think that it's been all smooth sailing for me. Just got mine out of the shop yesterday -- another $800 (engine, this time -- not BDR).

Yours truly,
Want1Bad
Old 05-05-2007, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft racing 302 ford
Not Ranked     

HI from #84
My car is almost 4 years old and the love it more each day , why because I have so little trouble with it. Ilove working on cars and my job as a machinest helps, there was a few problems at first but backdraft help me with that, remember this are performance cars. I made heat sheilds for the brakes and a lot of guy like them, a grill , and other things to make this my car. So make it your car that the fun. learn form are kids running the hondas ect: on how they make it there cars. and you will learn alot on top of that.
ED
Old 05-05-2007, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to tony martin
Not Ranked     
Default Taken One Punch Too Many!!!

GUYS,

AT BACKDRAFT WE BUILD A HAND MADE MOTOR CAR.

THIS IS NEVER GOING TO BE A FORD OR A BMW.I THINK MOST COBRA OWNERS KNOW AND ACCEPT THIS?

WE BUILD OUR CAR WITH PASSION, AND, WE WANT TO MAKE AS GOOD AS POSSIBLE FOR OUR CUSTOMERS.

"You have the right and duty to express your feelings and opinions! I appreciate all opinions and info, both GOOD and bad... "

U ARE 100% CORRECT

WE NEED TO KNOW, FROM ALL OF U, ON THIS FORUM, AND ANYWHERE ELSE, FOR THAT MATTER, WHERE THE PROBLEMS ARE, AND HOW WE CAN FIX THEM, IN TURN PRODUCING A BETTER PRODUCT, AND BETTER SERVICE FOR U,OUR CUSTOMER,AND FRIENDS.

IF THERE IS SOMETHING WORRYING U, OR SOMETHING U THINK WE HAVE DONE WRONG,OR,COULD DO BETTER, LETS HEAR ABOUT IT.

WE WANT CONSTRUCTIVE COMENTS, NOT JUST SOME ONE WHO IS PISSED OFF AND WANTS TO MOUTH OFF AT US.

IRRESPONSIBLE AND MISINFORMED STATEMENTS LIKE BELOW REALLY HURT. THEY UPSET THE GUYS OVER AT THE FACTORY IN SA AND IN FLORIDA, WHO ARE GIVING THEIR BEST TO BUILD U CARS, TO A HIGH QUALITY,AND STILL, KEEP THEM AFFORDABLE.

LET’S LOOK AT THIS STATEMENT BELOW AND GIVE U OUR TAKE ON IT.

REAR END LEAKS:
THIS HAS NOT BEEN A HUGE PROBLEM, BUT THE QUALITY CONTROL HAS BEEN JACKED UP IN THIS DEPARTMENT.

RADIATOR LEAKS:
I HAVE NEVER HAD TO REPLACE A RADIATOR IN OVER 500 CARS?
MAYBE REG HAS?
THIS RAD. IS MADE BY THE SAME FACTORY THAT PRODUCES THEM FOR BMW.

DOORS DON’T FIT:
WE HAVE ADDED DOOR JAMS TO THE BODY AND THE DOORS.
THIS GIVES A FAR BETTER, CONSISTENT FIT, AND STOPS ANY DOOR RATTLE.

HOODS SLAM SHUT:
WE HAVE CHANGED TO THE ORIGINAL STYLE STAY.
CAN’T SLAM SHUT NOW?

TURN SIGNALS DON’T WORK:
THESE ARE THE ORIGINAL STYLE VW SWITCHES. SUPPLY IS A PROBLEM.
EACH ONE IS CHECKED BEFORE IT LEAVES THE FACTORY.
WE HAVE HAD SOME OF THEM PROVE TROUBLE SOME. THAT’S WHAT A WARRANTEE IS ALL ABOUT. IF IT DOESN’T WORK, TALK TO YOUR DEALER, HE WILL ATTEND TO IT.

LICENSE PLATE BRACKETS:
THESE ARE LEGAL IN MOST STATES.
WE CAN’T CHANGE THIS TO SUIT EACH AND EVERYBODY.
IF WE GET ENOUGH CUSTOMERS ALL LIKING A CERTAIN DESIGN WE CAN AND WILL CHANGE IT.

EXHAUST LEAKS:
WE HAVE GONE BACK TOO FLANGED HEADERS.
NO MORE LEAKS.

SO AS U SEE, YES IT IS QUITE COMICAL, MAYBY TO U, BUT NOT TO US, WHO TAKE THE TIME TO LISTEN TO,AND READ ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS, ANYLISE THEM, AND CORRECT THEM, WHERE POSSIBLE.

PLEASE CHECK UP ON YOUR FACTS BEFORE U CRUCIFY US FOR NOT DOING ANYTHING.

"You see the same posts from new owners: rear end leaks, radiator leaks, doors don't fit, hoods slam shut, turn signals don't work, license plate brackets, exhaust leaks....it would be comical maybe, but it sucks!"

NOW TO UNCLE TODD,

I DON’T WANT U TO APOLOGIZE TO ME BUT I SURE DO WISH THAT I COULD GET THE BITTERNESS TOWARDS US OUT OF U.

MAYBE U CAN TELL ME HOW TO DO THIS?

U CANT PLEASE ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME BUT WE SURELY DO TRY.

I AM IN TOUCH WITH HUNDREDS OF OUR VALUED BACKDRAFT CUSTOMERS FROM AROUND THE WORLD,ON A DALY BASSIS, AND FEEL THAT A WONDERFUL REPORE IS HAD WITH ALL OF THEM.

ALL AT BACKDRAFT AND MYSELF ARE COMMITED TO THESE ABOVE MENTIONED CHALLENGES,AND IN SO BEING,FEEL PRIVELAGED TO BE PART OF THIS GREAT COBRA FAMILY.

NOW LET’S GET ON WITH MAKING A BETTER CAR FOR ALL U GREAT PEOPLE TO ENJOY......MORE!!!

THANKS FOR READING
Old 05-05-2007, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

tony, tony, tony....

If you check, I was NEVER an original poster, that enlightened people of any of these engineering/quality control problems...I just happen to agree with them because of my personal experience with my NEW car. So be it. The issues have come from around the country, from many people...check your notes, man.

Sorry that you feel some people have spoken to you in a complaining way... and thanks for clarifying that one must lower their expectations of reasonable quality, when buying a backdraft, a hand built car crafted with the utmost of care and engineering. You are right, they are not a production car. Unfortunatley, most of us are hundreds of miles away from where we bought the car...oh well, like some have said, "that's life."

It makes us all feel good to hear you say that "boys, we got it right now, the NEXT batch will be better. Thanks for you free R & D, we' ll sell better cars now!"

By the way, you have been hardly crucified, as you say...
Old 05-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Perhaps you need to sell the Cobra and get on with your life. Pretty obvious you are not cut out for ownership of this type of vehicle. And that's fine, they are not for everyone. And it would help us out since we are nearly out of stock for the season ...

Bringing down a bunch of people on a car they take such pride in (owners and dealers, etc) will only shorten your life span. Get on with it already and bring something of substance to the table.

The broken record thing is for Run DMC era remixes. I believe we can count the number of manufacturers that actively converse with the owners/prospects on this public forum on one finger, oh wait make that two since KMP is relatively active too.

If you have something against continuous improvement and evolution then perhaps you should be writing your complaints on paper and mailing it all to us.

Moving forward...
Old 05-05-2007, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

tony and cash....

I don't expect you to agree with all of the backdraft owners that post problems...they seem to keep popping upover time though, don't they!
you guys are in this to make a few bucks by selling backdrafts, and don't kid us, you do have a different motivation ...we the purchasers, are the guys in it for fun...we are the ones that deserve a good product (and pay for it). Bad publicity is not good, is it...

Sorry you don't like to listen to me summarize other backdraft owners complaints. an occasional post by tony of this forum is hardly good communication with owners...aren't you reading what's been said about the unreturned phone calls, etc...by other backdraft owners?
I am not cut out for ownership of this fine car? maybe i should sell my backdraft? what a childish response...maybe you should go out of business...
how's that!!!

As has been stated...I'm sure in the future that there will be many more posts from guys complaining about the "quality control" of these "hand built" sports cars!!!
I will be watching....
Old 05-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Yeah hang in there... how noble of you.

There's a clear difference between cars that are built for you and cars that come in kit form... the owner's are not required (though most do) to know a box wrench from a pitch fork. I'm sure you've got one of each, but you'll never be happy, that is clear.

All this effort, man I hope you spent 5 minutes to pick up the phone and call your dealer to handle the "problems" you have found. Though any positive action would go unnoticed by you (say for example the customers asking for upgrade parts in a thread and the dealers and factory making a commitment to deliver them).

Bad publicity is what Don Imus suffered from his action ... you're just a whiny typist. I'm sure you have the time to add up the number of individuals complaining and divide by 600 ... go ahead give it a shot.

7pm on a Saturday ... you think I'm making lots of money here? Off of you in particular ... where do I send the invoice? My current income is 1/5th of what I made in corporate (3 years ago no less), if I'm doing this for more than fun and a few dollars I must be confused.

Thanks for the lecture and keep your eyes peeled.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

Well said, Jay and Tony!

I think I got good value for the money with my Backdraft. C'mon and slam me too Mr. Negativity - OOPS, I mean cbreez.

Cheers!
Dave
Old 05-05-2007, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Guys,

Can I suggest something? Why doesn't everyone take a big deep breath and calm down? Sniping at Backdraft people on the Internet accomplishes absolutely nothing positive. It does present a big negative about our cars and the people involved with them. I for one don't like this for a very simple reason. Others out there are reading this and now perhaps think less about our Backdrafts. Take it another step and this may cost all of us some money down the road. Not good. A reputation ruined is hard to re-earn.

So, when I ask about upgrades I hope to hear positive things that can help all of us make our cars better for now and the future. I for one want to upgrade my exhaust system and want to end up with a better car because of it. So, can we keep it more positive? Please!

Skip B
Old 05-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Thanks Skip. As an owner of #90, I think you have a great perspective. I feel anyone with a clear perspective would see the intent of this thread, and the positive intent that came from it.

Back to making the best bang for the buck and spinning heads...
Old 05-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #212, 392 stroker
Not Ranked     

My Cobra is not only a dream come true, but a hobby as well. I realize I have to take the good with the bad. The main reason I even bought a BDR, is because of the support from the dealers as well as owners. I didn't buy mine with the intent as a daily driver, it's my play toy that took me years to save for. When the time comes I can't work on or afford it anymore, gone.

"Can't we all just get along" Rodney King

Dave, Popcorn done yet?
Old 05-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here you go, Ned.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Dave! Here ya go.

You looked thirsty.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Oh, I've had plenty to drink... read the last one while at the bar for another Stoli. The popcorn sounds good now.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Remember, some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #479
Not Ranked     

I may not really have a great perspective on the issue at hand. I have had nothing but great response from my backdraft dealer (Jay). I know sales when I see them, and Jay has yet to make me feel he was just interested in the sales end of making scads of cash (yea, I priced out the chassis, and the motor seperately-and I know what he's making per unit here-not enough).

I have put 150 miles on #479 in the last week driving around the bumpy streets of San Francisco. I had it up on a lift this weekend and went over every inch of my car, every bolt. Only one loose suspension bolt. The mechanic I was working with said this was the best engineered, best put together replica he's ever seen. And this guy is a uber gear head. (has a Z28 with a 592 cubic inch motor that puts mine to shame in the noise dept)

I've had nothing but a great experience with the car, the finish, the overall quality, and last-from the representatives of Backdraft.

I'm not here to stir the proverbial ****, just provide some love from the silent majority. I think they are due for building what are essentially 'one off' handmade racecars, that we all use and beat on daily. Doesn't John Force rebuild his engine every race?

Everyone is due an opinion, and for some who've owned their cars for longer and issues have come up, sorry to hear that they didn't get resolved completly.

I think anyone I passed today, who gave me a thumbs up, or took a picture, or jus lost their mind, would happily have taken over any of our problems to be in our place. I'll pass along your phone number if you'd like

Jay, I'll join you for that Stoli anytime....
Old 05-05-2007, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 342 Stroker, 400hp
Not Ranked     

Thanks to Tony and Reg at Backdraft, Jeff and Jerry at Suncoast Cobra, I now own #251 they built for me in Guardsman Blue with the white Stripes.Why is this important to me? Because back in the 60's, I was part of Hal Keck's team Cobra CSX3008. I helped work on the car and and crewed at the races.Some of the greatest moments in my life. When I could afford a Cobra, the CSX3000's went out of sight in price. I looked at the CSX4000 series and many other manufactures and decided on Backdraft because of the package they offered and the local dealer. I've owned 6 Corvettes and spent many dallors on repairs,but this experience has been nothing but great.
Been back to the dealer for some small claims and paid to upgrade the exhaust system, but nothing like I experienced on the Corvettes.You think this is bad, buy a boat and use it in salt water. Bottom line is, there can't be a problem big enough or small enough, that isn't forgotten when you take this car out for a drive. No matter what it cost to drive this car, it will never replace the dream that I had all these years and am now living.
Thank You Tony and Reg, Suncoast Cobra and Cash.....keep up the the great job for the 98% of us.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash
Jay, I'll join you for that Stoli anytime....
I'm there, let's party!