Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-16-2009, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
"as tall as the chips go" on your car and based on how well your tires can throw rocks - that's my answer to your question.

Experimenting with spats, my 1st set was too short. My 2nd set was still too short. The 3rd set was jussssssst righhhhht. Part of it depends on how much flare you have covering the front tire (how much the tire sticks out) too and if you run hard or stickier tires on the street. The stickier tires definitely pick up and throw more pebbles back and up the side of the rear flare. You'll notice the flare on an SPF covers more of the front tire, where as other cars have a different cut-in shape and more front tire is exposed. This is a factor, or at least on the cars I've earned chips on.

When I ran my Goodyear Billboard tires, chips were getting all the way up the side of the flare just parallel to the top of the door.

But... I think a carbon piece going that high will look ugly. Yes? A compromise would be the shorter spat combined with a strip of 3m to go that high. Also in the works is a cheap and easy carbon mudflap for the front tyre....
Old 03-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Neutral     

Like this:

Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderball View Post
But... I think a carbon piece going that high will look ugly. Yes? A compromise would be the shorter spat combined with a strip of 3m to go that high. Also in the works is a cheap and easy carbon mudflap for the front tyre....

Yes, having a piece of carbon fiber would probably stick out like a sore thumb unless your whole car body was made out of carbon fiber.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey, funfer2 where can I get a set of the those billet jacks in your pic, gallery, I looked up the web site and its not going thru, maybe there out of bussiness, can you let me know, thanks, Robert
Old 03-30-2009, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 347 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Not to beat this dead horse, but I stopped in the local LineX dealer today and he said he could spray the fender area to provide good protection from stones. Bad news is that stuff will not come off, so it is a one way trip . Has anyone gone this route, and has comments?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xena2006 View Post
Not to beat this dead horse, but I stopped in the local LineX dealer today and he said he could spray the fender area to provide good protection from stones. Bad news is that stuff will not come off, so it is a one way trip . Has anyone gone this route, and has comments?
So far, tried the following on the same car:

1. ERA leather snap on spats
2. Line-X spray on (black)
3. 3M spray on (clear over paint)
4. 3M spray on (black)

Yes, I did. Tried the Line-X in black for one year and didn't like it. Was too thick looking and it always bothered me to look at it. When I removed it, rather than trying to sand it off, I just grabbed a corner edge of it and pealed it right off in one piece right off the car. Once you get underneath it it will peal off and pull paint off with it so be prepared to repair the undersurface when you apply this and remove it later.

Sanded it all back down again and applied the 3M black spray on stuff, and that looks cleaner and not nearly as thick. Ended up with 3M spray on Black for now. If I repaint my car down the road I will go with the good clear stuff high up on the fender next time.

Last edited by decooney; 03-30-2009 at 10:49 AM..
Old 03-30-2009, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Neutral     

I like the old English style.

John O
Old 03-30-2009, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Here's my experience with the spray on type:
Finally a product that works for Stone Guards
Rock/Fender Guards

Last edited by Trueoo7; 03-30-2009 at 05:48 PM..
Old 03-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolsen42 View Post

John O
Me to! In fact, if Chris does come up with a good mold for spats on our cars I may get a set (no matter what color) and have them metalized(sp?).

Steve
Old 03-31-2009, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 187 Prism Red w/Silver stripes; 427 stroker by Smeding Performance, Tremec TKO600 gearbox
Not Ranked     

Please keep us posted if and when you make them available for sale. I'm interested.

You'll feel me coming
A new vibration
From afar you'll see me
I'm a sensation!

-Pete Townshend, Tommy
Old 03-31-2009, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolsen42 View Post

John O
Nice pic!

That is pretty much the shape and height I have come up with. I will be flashing a part tomorrow to ck fitment so stay tuned....
Old 04-29-2009, 07:41 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Chris, any updates for this forum?

Steve
Old 04-30-2009, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Steve,

I am happy with the fitment that I have and expected to have the mold finalized by the end of this week but as luck would have it I have to go to new orleans for work next week so looks like it'll be another week or two. Good news is that the part is a perfect fit and it doesn't look like a stuck on carbon part.

chris.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Pictures...pictures
Old 06-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Chris; anything to see?

Steve
Old 06-26-2009, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

Hey Chris, if you add more hardner they will cure faster! lol

...waiting for pictures.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi guys,
Sorry for the delay...I'm back on the project. I had an accident with a screwdriver and my face at the end of last year and even with respirators I've had a hard time with fumes. The style I've come up with is the "old english"style and it doesn't appear intrusive on the the look of the car and I will post a picture as soon as the first part is out.

Also going to be working on a direct replacement carbon scoop....
Old 08-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Look forward to it Chris.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I'm working on some ally ones and stainless ones to fit a 4000 body. I'll be interested to try them on some other breeds to see how they'll fit.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hi guys,

Good news!! The spat mold is done and perfect, very happy with the way it came out so I will have a part splashed tomorrow and have some pics posted later this week. This mold is for a 100- 600 car and will not fit, not even close, a 601 and up. I will be working on post 600 spats very soon andnow that i have the technique down for molding this area they should happen fairly quickly.

Attachment is going to be by the very thin 3m double sided adhesive( not the cheesy foam thick stuff) which won't damage the paint but the spats are so form fitting you could attach with 1/8" aluminum rivets which i think would be a neat look. I am also going to have available some color choices in the carbon weave but right off the bat it will be black and black/blue carbon twill.

Any interest in a small "mud flap" for behind the front tire? Thinking of a single plane carbon piece that would protect the front of the sidepipe and the top of the fenders....these would be around $125 for the pair.

chris.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: