21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2000, 12:21 PM
Cobra2
Visit my Photo Gallery

Torque Monster,
I was thinking about 305 h.p. at the rear wheels also. That is what my C5 corvette makes with 345 rated h.p. With the 335/35x17 tires on back I think it will hook up ok for street driving. Fuel usage on the road should be in the 26 mpg range.
Old 01-15-2000, 08:32 PM
Torque Monster
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra2, yes your tyre combination will be more than adequate. I've been talking with Bob at ERA and he thinks that 500ft/lbs of torque is about the limit in terms of being able to smoothly get the power down without uncontrolled wheelspin in a well set up Cobra. I will be going for a little more than that and then making up for it by special attention to the chassis tuning and setup, but mine won't be a daily driver, it will be a fine day, once a week or fortnight drive that will get the adrenalin flowing every time I take it out. I will make the chassis very adjustable, and by the time I'm finished will get some very good 60 foot times out of it for a Cobra. Once you can get a good 60foot time, you can then put down some very good numbers as you have the base sorted out to work from.

Even at 380hp, obviously, any sharp transition from trailing throttle to heavy pedal will result in instant wheelspin in the first two gears, but with the power your vehicle will make, you should be able to get all the power down in any gear if you are smooth, and that will make you quicker than a lot of higher powered Cobra's that cannot use what they've got. On a tight track it might even be quicker than my one will be because you can apply power out of corners while I'll have to feather the throttle until dead straight... yahoo! On the 1/4 mile tho, or anything over 60-75mph, I'll take some heading off... grin, mind you, I won't be getting anywhere near 26mpg!
Old 01-18-2000, 07:12 PM
Neal Jackson
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra2,

Any info on the Walker, Texas Ranger show your car will be featured in? That ought to be a great one!

Keep us posted, please!

Neal
Old 01-28-2000, 03:38 AM
Matthew Miller
Visit my Photo Gallery

I have waited soooo loooong for this area to be formed. I have a '99 Midstates with a SB350 4 bolt main. I have felt like an outcast after reading all the talk about Windsors, Clevelands and FE Big Blocks on this site. As long as you're having fun and making lots of HP who cares what logo is on the block!

My reasoning for using a GM/Chevy block was more bang for the buck. After looking at $/HP there was no comparison, Chevy setup was less epensive.

Matt
Old 01-28-2000, 06:44 AM
Cobra2
Visit my Photo Gallery

Matt,
I was talking to a man at one of the replica manufaturers and he was telling me that they had purchased a couple early vette side emblems to put on a customers car. The customer ultimately nixed the idea. I told him I don't think I would put vette emblems on my cobra but I do have standing snake emblems with little gold "bowties" on them for the sides. He said that he likes chevies and would put them on in a second.
Old 01-28-2000, 07:56 AM
mustang man
Visit my Photo Gallery

My first replicar was a Sebring MX with a Chevy ZZ3 engine. I put the Corvette crossed flags emblem on the back just for fun and was amazed at how often spectators at car shows used to tell their friends that my car was an early model Corvette.

Gotta be different!
Old 01-28-2000, 08:43 AM
Cobra2
Visit my Photo Gallery

Mustang Man,
Are those Sebrings any good? I always wanted one.
Old 01-28-2000, 10:24 AM
mustang man
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra 2

I liked the Sebring MX but there are compromises. It's solid, basic but unspectacular. I liked the triangulated ladder bar chassis. I bought it many years ago when there wasn't nearly the selection of good Cobras there is now.

More refined than some Cobras but not a great track performer. I bought it because I stumbled across one that was partially built and I got it at a reasonable price.

One reason I liked the MX was it had a good soft top. Back then (1988) there were few if any soft tops available for Cobras. There were other reasons as well. Basically I had a lot of fun with the car but after having the car 11 years I was ready for something new which is why I went with the GS.

I love Cobras but if all the guys who were driving Cobras had the GS, then I'd buy a Cobra.

If you're interested in a Sebring be sure to get the MX. Don't bother with the Sebring 5000's (leaf suspension).

Tim aka mustang man
Old 01-28-2000, 04:49 PM
GEORGE ANDERSON
Visit my Photo Gallery

Matt....finally you can talk about the long rod Bowtie!
Congrats!!!!!
George
Old 01-28-2000, 05:19 PM
maxi mouse
Visit my Photo Gallery

well the reason i went with a chevy was because i had a extra out of date sprintcar motor laying around in the shop my crew cheif said lets put that in the cobra ok so i took the 17to 1's out changed cams converted the inj. to efi. boy was that alot of work to get the fuel map correct. the injector is over 3000cfm with brodex-12's the heads were about the cost of the ffr kit alone to do it all over i would go with a LT-1 AND BE JUST AS HAPPY because it just kills tires been through R-1's so2's now yok's A032R's working on billit irs set up now i will post pictures when i am done next week jim
Old 01-29-2000, 03:02 AM
Cobra2
Visit my Photo Gallery

maxi,

How would a hot LS1 look? Or a ZR1 cammer? E-M told me that one of the Ford Exects in Mich has a cobra with a ZR1 motor in it.
Old 08-11-2000, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     
Cool

HI guys
Hope I will not be blasted for posting here as I will have one of those wimpy 5.0 Fords with a few mods . At least my Hunter Cobra has a Corvette suspension out of a 85 vette.

The reason for my post is Randy Hunter is now building a turnkey car for someone. This car will have the following: 502c.i. Chevy Big Block aluminum head crate motor, richmond 6 speed, Dana 44 rear, and 335-40-17 rear tires. I rode with Randy in a customers 351 Jasper crate motor and that was fast so this 502 chevy scares me.

Randy says this guy will have two sets of tires for drag racing and road racing. I fully expect this car to compete for the top gun honors at Run & Gun.
Old 08-11-2000, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
aumore, you would never get blasted in this room for having any kind of car or engine. only for making fun of or criticizing what someone else has or can only afford.
Old 08-22-2000, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Everett-Morrison work in progress here. 355ci chevy (lingenfelter design 375hp), '85 corvette running gear.

Mostly better bang for the buck was the reason behind my choosing chevy. I also prefer the cylinder head design to SBC over SBF.
Old 08-23-2000, 01:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Nimble,
Great to have you here. I'll be posting some new pics soon.(of Don Caulders beautiful BTS with two rollbars). Can you e-mail me some pictures of your car to post?
Tom
Old 10-24-2000, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I bought an EM unbuilt with a ZZ3 and Borg Warner T-56 6 speed. I am using a 428 and toploader instead for the build.

The ZZ3 (345 hp)and transmission are new, never used with an improved Holley 650, Lakewood bell housing and block plate, Tilton hydraulic release, heavy duty clutch. It is a sweet setup, especially with the 6 speed (5 & 6 are overdrive).

I am considering building a Corvette replica or street rod, but could be convinced to sell if someone wants it for a bowtie Cobra.
Old 10-31-2000, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Hi all,

This is my first post as i am a new member of the Forum. Ive been a reader for quite some time and stil in the building process. My cobra will have a chevy small block in it. This is easy to come by here in The Netherlands and will probably the zz4. I am only 22 so i want to get used to all that power before i put mucho horses in my cobra.

Best regards.
Bjorn
Old 11-01-2000, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Bjorn,
Howdy and welcome to our forum. Do you have any pictures of your cobra you can share with us. If you can email them too me I can post them for you.
Tom
Old 12-27-2000, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I am building a Lone Star Classic and chose the SBC for one reason. The LT1 with 6 Speed is just to slick and more affordable than the Ford parts to equal.
Old 02-18-2001, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     
Cool

I have an Elegant Motors Cobra Replica, no longer in business. The Cobra body sets on a 1982 Spec Corvette frame with a GM 454 V8 (LS-6) Big Block crate engine. I installed a Holley double pumper 800 CFM carb. Hookers headers muffled into side pipes. A streetfighter TCI 400 turbo transmission and a B&M Z-gate shifter. The car sat for along time but I'm back at it and it is regestered in the state of Florida and I have only a few miles on the engine. I hope to finnish it soon.

Dan