28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2001, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to AustinFairway
Not Ranked     
I have an E-M with a 383 small block chevy with Edelbrock EFI and Richmond 5 speed. I was just dynoed at 425hp. The car is very driveable and responsive.

By the way, I was running at 40psi oil pressure until today when it dropped to 20 psi. Does anyone have a clue why this occurred. Could it be that the sending unit went bad. The car has just been completed and has less than 600 miles on it.
Old 02-19-2001, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Austinfairway,
I too had low oil pressure. I have the same
pro flo injection by Edelbrock on a SB Chevy.
I bought a hi performance oil pump and
my problems went away. First I did check
the sending unit by replacement. It was
good. the new pump stays at 60psi until it
warms up then it drops to 45 to 50 psi.
I hope this helps.
BT SNAKE
Hershal Byrd
Old 03-24-2001, 05:17 AM
Bishop Wheeler
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hey, I just found this site, great. Been hooked up to CC for a couple of months, guess I just didn't notice the "Bow-Tie" heading. Running a 400 destroked to 377c.i. with most of the good stuff on it. Runs great and strong, but going do dump that damn gold colored piece of crap that sits 'atop the intake! Engine is designed to give 425 h.p., but until I can get it on the Dyno (April 23) and get the carbeuration figured out I'm not at optimum. Tansmission is a BW T-5 into a 3.25 Ford 9". Body is A&C,(very, very nice glass work) Dark Blue w/white stripes. Trying to keep the car as "original" looking as possible. In the process of adding Black Walnut dash and console. Yeah I know that is not original, but I like it, just like I like the Chev. and enjoy twisting the tail of the purists.
I'll keep reading the mail . Later, Bish
Old 03-25-2001, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NW Exotics, Chevy ZZ4
Not Ranked     
I bought a used Ford powered NW Exotics last month and am in the process of planning my rebuild of this car. Though it currently has a Ford 289 with a Top Loader, I have a new ZZ4 that I will be installing later this year. I'm not sure if I'll stay with the Top Loader or change to maybe 5 or 6 speed trans. I'm now looking at buying headers and a clutch/flywheel/bellhousing setup for the conversion. Anyone with Chevy Small Block headers for sale?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 06-05-2001, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default LT-1 powered cobra

I have a Midstates that has an old corvette engine in it now(1958-1961). I just bought an LT-1 engine thats going in it in the next month or so. I don't want to run fuel injection on it, it's a little beyond me. ( I know my limitations) I found out that GM sells a manifold that will allow me to run a carbuator and use a HEI distributor.I'll have to figure out a few other things, such as ,can I run a serpentine belt set up or will I have to fabricate some way of attaching standard pulleys. Has anyone out there run a LT-1 setup without the FI. Go Cobras with Chevys. Richard
Old 06-05-2001, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Richard, there was a Chevy dealer in Florida selling those manifolds on EBAY. i don't know why the serpentine wouldn't work with it. I think the LT4 hotcam like I have in my engine goes along with that offroad manifold.
Old 06-08-2001, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Richard,

I am using the LT1 in a Lone Star Kit, although I am using the FI setup and intend to use an ACCEL/DFI engine management. I have thought about the carburated/HEI setup. One thing you will need to add is the distributor drive gear on the cam.

Larry
Old 06-08-2001, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default LT-1 powered cobra

Larry, thanks for the reply. I don't have a intake on the motor now and I can see a gear at the end of the cam. I think it for driving the distributor.Do you know where I might find answers to some of the conversion to carburation questions and other conversions on the block? Thanks Richard
Old 06-09-2001, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

HI GUYS
I DONT POST MUCH WITH A BUSY WORK LIFE AND TRYING TO FINISH OF MY COBRA SO I ONLY SKIM OVER THE FORUM NOW AND THEN . BUT SEEING THAT ROLL CALL WAS POSTED I THOUGHT THAT I WOULD LET YOU GUYS NOW THAT CHEVY POWERD COBRAS ARE BECOMING MORE POPULAR DOWN UNDER ALL THE TIME. MY CAR THAT IS ABOUT 80% FINISHED IS POWERED BY A 2000 MODEL CORVETTE ALLOY 5.7 LS1 WHICH I BOUGHT NEW FROM AN IMPORTER FOR AUD $7500 AND TREMEC GEARBOX JAG FRONT SUSPENSION AND FORD INDERPENDANT REAR ALSO HOPPING MONEY WILL PERMIT ME TO ALSO FIT UP A VORTEC SUPER CHARGER. WONCE THE CAR IS FINISHED I HOPE TO HOLIDAY IN THE NORTHERN TERITORY WERE THERE ARE NO SPEED LIMITS ON A LOT OF THE HIGHWAYS AND THEN WE CAN SEE JUST HOW FAST AN AUSTRALIAN COBRA WILL GO.
Old 06-19-2001, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am the proud new owner of an Everette Morrison with the SC body style powered by nothing other than a 454 chevy motor and Doug Nash 5 spd trans.It has the late model frt and rear corvette suspension.I had full intensions of building a car, but when I found this one at a local car show for a very resonable price just the way I was going to build one,I just couldn't live without it. Maybe I'll build my next one! I look forward to hearing and talking to other" bowtiers"!
Old 06-22-2001, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 350 CHEVY

I bought a 2nd hand Cobra 6 months ago. Was first registered in 1989. I am not sure of the exact setup but it is a 350 Chevy motor that was built in 1974. The cams have been upgraded. I have no further info on types of pistons ect.
I am in the process of repairing the car but it is generally in good condition. It has a Jag series 1 front and rear suspension with exhausts at the rear.
During the suspension check and alignment the technician casually informed me that the limited slip diff is perfect! Great stuff, I did not know I had one until then.
In South Africa there is a large number of Cobras that have Chevy motors. The reason is lower cost and availability of spares and after market goodies.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Guyon, big block Chevrolet
Not Ranked     

Hi all, this is the first time I've noticed this forum too. About 8 years ago I bought a 10 year old Cobra that had a 350 sbc with a standard transmission. Just a coincidence, always thought my Cobra would be Ford powered. I knew nothing about cars and had no allegiance to any brand. I just loved the shape of Cobras. After 4 great years with it and changing from 350 to 454, I had begun drag racing it and improved from 13's to mid 10's. That was great and I wanted more but the Jag rear end wouldn't take the newest motor and all that nitrous. So, I sold the car and bought my friends NHRA super gas Cobra as a roller. It happened to be set up for Chev too. I made it street legal, put in my 454 and powerglide and nitrous and the GM 14 bolt rear end took me to 8.34 at 160 mph. The addiction got worse!

This year I am putting in my new motor, a 598 bbc with two stages of nitrous and hope to reach the sevens. The car has a 102 inch wheel base and looks crazy going down the street with it's roll cage, wheelie bars, and parachute, but I love it! I guess I ended up with Chev power by coincidence, I'm glad it's cheaper, but I still have no big preferences. I just want to go fast.

Colin
Old 03-30-2002, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I bought my Everett-Morrison 427SC Cobra about six weeks ago. It's powered by a Ford 351 Windsor, but it has 1987 Corvette suspension all around. I'm a long time Corvette owner, so I felt more comfortable buying a car with suspension I understand. After I bought the car, I discovered it was built expressly for SCCA autocross racing by the same people who built the Cobra cited in Car and Driver magazine in the early nineties for the fastest slalom they had tested. It is without doubt, the quickest handling car I've ever driven.

I recently rebuilt my 63 Corvette with a ZZ430 clone engine (350 engine, Fast Burn heads, HOT cam). So, if anyone is planning a car with that engine, I might be able to offer some advice.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 04-01-2002, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     
Exclamation 598 BBC.....

Colin, you are a madman.....

I applaud you for doing it your way and not getting caught up in all of that "traditionalist" stuff. Like you, I have no real preference. Ford, Chevy, Chrysler etc..., what's the difference, it's all American iron and they all offer big HP. I love your car BTW, the all black bad-to-the-bone look is near & dear to my heart (if you check my gallery photos you'll know why). Also, I was at Daytona Speedway last week for the Spring car show and swap meet. There was a guy there with a Cobra bodied drag car that you would have loved. This car was definitely not streetable at all, but it was beautifully prepared and it was painted with Chromalusion paint. I have no idea what he was running under the hood scoop, but it looked very serious.

I can't believe you really drive that beast on the street!!
Good luck with the new motor and I doubt you'll fail in your quest to reach into the 7's.

Tommy,

MY E-M has the same '87 suspension with quick ratio steering as you have and I will agree that it's an extremely well handling setup. With the Corvette sway bars and Koni shocks, this baby goes around corners like it's on rails!!

Incidentally, that Car & Driver article came out after I'd already decided to go with the Vette suspension on my car and started the build, so I felt like I'd made the right choice after reading it. The twitchy QR steering did take some getting used to though!

I'm also a past Corvette owner. I had a '63 roadster with a HiPo 350 (12.5:1 compression, hi lift cam etc...) many years ago and a '79 with a LoPo L-48. Both were fun cars, but neither one holds a candle to the Cobra!!

I hope you both enjoy your rides as much as I am!!

Mike
Old 04-01-2002, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Mike, i don't know what it is about going fast at the drag strip, but I love it. Strange because most of the rides at the fair make me sick and I get disoriented easily when I spin. Barely got enough rythym to make kids, but I can drive!

I looked at your gallery, some beautiful cars! I see what you mean about the all black look. Yours is great.

Colin
Old 04-02-2002, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

Colin,

I won't argue about the rush of a 1/4 mile run. Back in my youth (mid 70s), I built my hot rods to go fast in a straight line. Trouble with that is they were too limited. 12.5:1 compression and 4.56 gears do not make for an economical daily driver...

I was also part of a rag-tag pit crew for a guy in my neighborhood who ran a top fuel dragster, talk about getting an adrenaline rush. I spent a good deal of time at the drags and the sound of a hi-HP motor is still music to my ears.

I still like drag racing, but nowadays, I get more out of open track events and being able to drive the car more than ten miles before I have to refuel. And I don't get motion sickness from spinning!

Mike
Old 04-02-2002, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Mike, I love road racing too but haven't done much for years. If I ever get back to Run n Gun I'll do the road course too.

Colin
Old 04-15-2002, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up go the chev

just a short note on my chevy powered rmc cobra its has a kevlar body and for motivation i bought an 88 camaro 350 tpi complete with delco computer and added a sn 89 paxton super charger which fitted very well thought the air flo meter is not to keen on it as it goes out on strike if it sees too much air flow.
behind the chev is a super t10 with a hurst pro shifter (no missed gear changes). great boe wish they made a 5 speed as good.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We got some good weather so the SPF has been out and I have the funny tan from driving with the ball cap on backwards. This is good!
Ls1 based engine, cam, head work, T56 trans with aftermarket gears, 3.73 rear end.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking Chevies!

I have a stock ff5 car with 302 efi. (Bought it that way, not enough time to build it!) Anyway, aluminum big block chevy is going in next! ;o)