Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-23-2011, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     
Default classic roadsters healey

This is my first post here and am happy to find this site. I hope that I can gather some good tips here on my "restoration" of my classic roadsters healey.

I have had the car for about 2 years and have really had fun with it. It was assembed in 1986 and has a stock flat tappet 302 with a 4 speed and 3.50 track lock 8" rearend. The car is a 3000 version and has the simulated louver hood ( I would like to locate a hood with the scoop on it). The car also has cobra style sidepipes on it. They are painted black and I would be very interested in a polished ss set for the car if the regular cobra pipes would fit.The pipes on the car look like they may have been homemade and are welded to the header tubes ( I may have to cut them to get them off). They stop about 6" short of where they should also.

Unfortunately the car had been sitting outside for a few years before I aquired it and the red gel coat finish has completly faded out on the hood and trunk of the car. I am going to paint the car either kandy kobolt blue (HOK) or gloss black. Also the wiring and steering column will be upgraded when I take the car apart for proper restoration.

There are some parts I am looking for and maybe someone here can help.

1. classic roadsters healey 3000 series hood with scoop
2. chrome grille surround ( will the replica grilles for the actual healeys fit?)
3. where to find a top boot ( may have to have a custom one made)
4. chrome windshield pillar covers

Thank you in advance..... since classic roadsers is no longer in business I have no idea where to try to locate these parts except somewhere like this.

Dave
Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Dave,
Welcome, but this is going to be a very disappointing post for you.
The hoods or any of the body parts have not been available for years. (unless you can find a private seller)

The grill surround is absolutely not available nor are the windshield corner covers. These were made of a special "plastic" and definitely not available for at least 10-15 yrs now. When I built my last three, we couldn't even get those parts.

The "Boot" can be made at any upholstery shop, especially one that does boat tops!

BUT, right here on Club Cobra is a forum just for the MX owners! I'd give the link out but unfortunately I don't have it. Somebody here will have it for you.

Headers: Had to be custom made as CR's never put side pipes on the Healey's.
Changing the louvers to a scoop is nothing more than money and finding some one to do it. I am one of those guys, but by all means check around!

The Healey's/MX's are powerful little critters on the track too! If all things being equal, including a Driver, the Healey's would beat a Cobra on a road overtime course! Not so much in a "Drag race" but any type of road race the Healey's wold always come out ahead.

Good luck with your new toy!

DV
Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured that I would be out of luck on any body parts for the car. It's not that the louvered hood is bad looking, I just like the scooped hood look better.... I think there are a couple of specialty chrome shops that could plate the plastic grille surround and windshield pillars, but it would cost a fortune plus I am not keen on shipping non replaceable parts across the country...

I guess I should just put a nice paint job on the car with some cobra wheels and see about chrome plating or jet hot coating the sidepipes that are on the car. New tilt steering column and some nice dress pieces on the plain jane motor and I will be good to go.

I can do a sweet paint job myself in the shop in the back and the only thing that will cost any cash is the wheels/tires and pipe plating.

I really like the car.... it reminds me of an upscale version of the 23 t bucket I built with a 351c back in the mid 80's!!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,
If your "plastic" pieces are in good shape their are good company's that will re-plate them.
I can tell you that a paint company, Astra(?) sells a chrome paint that is not cheap in any pretense but the stuff is fantastic. I even did a guys roll bar in it. I swear from three feet away you would bet it was chrome!

Up close it had to take a painters eye to tell the difference!

DV
PS. I think I have some left in the original can, if I do I will verify the name and let you know!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, vette suspension, 351C w richmond 5 spd
Not Ranked     

I had an original healey 3000 with a 289hp and still miss it. I don't know how close your car is to the original, but you can find most body panels for the originals at Moss Motors (mossmotors.com).
Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ike, they are very, very close!
DV
Old 01-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Chrome paint is Alsa Corp.

http://www.alsacorp.com/paints.htm
Old 01-25-2011, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cashburn,
Thank You....It is Alsa!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. The alsa chrome paint might be the just what I need. I will try a small amount through my sata rp and see what it looks like. It is kind of pricey but much cheaper than plating the plastic parts or buying a new chrome grille surround ($1000 yikes) .
Old 01-26-2011, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,
A coat of "plastic spray adhesive" first, then black and finally the chrome---very light coats with the gun at least 10"s from the surface. If you are a painter and i assume you are it's just BC/CC. But with coats of the chrome paint is essential. You will love he look when done.
DV
Old 01-28-2011, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks I will give it a try. I am not a professional painter but have sprayed several cars and even a candy job on my old 23 t bucket that looked like a professional job.

I watched the youtube video of the bike tank being chrome painted and it looks pretty simple. I will let you know how it turns out. I am currently doing bodywork on the restoration of my 62 galaxie 500xl convertible so the healey work will start in the late summer after the current project is done.

Dave
Old 02-01-2011, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dave,
You might be interested in http://www.sebringinternational.co.uk/. They would appear to use the same body molds as CR. Their parts, I understand from the http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Sebringowners/ forum, that the grill surround and windshield end caps are polished alloy instead of plated plastic. Pricey, I bet.

Bob
Old 02-02-2011, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dave,
You might be interested in the UK site for Sebrings... http://www.sebringinternational.co.uk/index.html. I think they used the same body molds as CR back in the '90s. I understand that their grill surround and windshield end caps are polished alloy rather than plated plastic. Pricey, I bet.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Sebringowners/ might be of use, though it's not very active.

Bob