Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR2 5.0 Police Interceptor
Not Ranked     
Default Ride Height Question.

I would like to increase the ride height of the rear end of my car. What is your measurements from the ground to the wheel wells in the read end of your CR2. I have just installed new 295-50R15 in the rear and 265-59R15 in the front. They were the same size wheel as was on there before but the front end looks and is taller that it was before and I'm worried that I will get wheel rub in the rear. I will attach some pic so everyone can get an idea of what I'm dealing with. I think I would like an inch in the rear but I'm not sure.
Thanks for any input you all can give me:
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Mine is at 27" measured to the same place. The height of my tires are 26 1/32 rear and 25 5/8 front.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

If you have adjustable coilovers just increase the ride hieght by adjustment of the springs. If your running the original coil spring set up, they are adjustable by screwing the upper spring perch up or down. There should be access to the top of the spring perch, which has a hex top, through the package shelf behind the seats. May be covered by carpet. Or new coil springs at a different length. Good luck.

John
Old 06-23-2012, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

It just depends on how much compression you want and the ride height you like. Do you have a solid axle or IRS ?

If it's a solid, I made a mock-up tool (or you can buy one) that you replace it with the coil overs for each side of the car. Two heim joints with a adjustable threaded rod. Once you have the ride height, use a floor jack to lift up the rear end. As it and the suspension raises, look to see if the tires will rub on the body, if not, then you're done. I also used the tool to adjust the coil overs so the weight of the car is about equal on each side. I was amazed just how off the weight was when I built the car !

If it rubs, you can either set the coil overs to stop it before that point, which it will bottom out, but you do want that, or depending how much it rubs, you can grind/sand some of the fiberglass off where the tire rubs. I had to take off 1/4" off mine, which doesn't hurt anything as you're only taking off the inner lip.

I now love my ride height and the suspension works very well.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 06-23-2012 at 07:17 AM..
Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John: Here are some pic of the shocks that are on it now and the Bolt adjustment you mentioned. You cant see it but there is a set of springs in front of these shocks directly above the rear axle. As far as the adjustable bolts, the one on the passenger side is screwed past the shelf about an inch and the drivers side is out of the shelf not quite and inch.
I would like to increase the rear end height an inch. With the new tires it looks like it is high in the front end and low in the rear. I do want to upgrade to the QA1's but its not going to happin for a month or 2 at least. What shocks did you use when you did your rear end upgrade?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Pinquino,
I have been out of town for a few days enjoying the 115 degree heat in St Louis. It looks to me like you are using a coil over shock now, and your still using your coil springs. When I put the coil over shocks on my car I removed the coil springs. They were on a perch sitting on the lower control arm not the axle. Anyway the coil over shocks have an adjustable ring that screws up or down to raise and lower the car via spring compression. I'm not sure how yours are built but perhaps you could raise the bottom spring perch on your shocks to get a little more lift.
I purchased through Classic Roadsters, just before they went out of business, the coil over kit, but it came from Pro Shock. Figure out your ideal ride height (bolt to bolt) for the shocks and contact their tech department for a recomendation and buy them direct. Im sure you could do the same for the QA-1's also. I wasn't comfortable with the single shear attachment (remember I don't have coil springs to support the car) so I modified that in my lastest project to strengthen the assembly. Let me know if you need more info, happy to help.

John
Old 07-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Pinquino,

Check your tire size front and rear again and post. Never heard of a 265-59-15. If it is actually anywhere close to that then you have something really messed up because your front tires are taller than your rears which would have raised the front and lowered the rear of your car.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry that was a type-o on the tires. fronts are 265 50R15. Same size that was on there before. I took a measurement of the old tires and they had about 1/2 less tire in the rear than the new ones do. Because they were close to being bald. The car is parked now till I can get around to installing new shocks front and rear. Because I'm getting a little tire rub in the inside wheel well on the rear passenger side. Also on the same the spring in screwed almost all the way down on the adjustment post. But the driver side is screwed all the way up. So it looks like the rear passenger side spring is shot. I will not replace these springs just do the coil-over package.
My biggest problem is time... I'm looking for a shop here in town that will do the work if I buy the parts. But that has been more of a challenge than I thought it would be. If anyone knows of a shop that is close enough to me and have ether hared of there quality or have used them before please let me know.
Thanks again for the input and help.
Kenny: